LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I really don't want to hear anything about COVID at all, all weekend.

I am bracing myself for cringe statements about "getting through it" and "being together again at glasto" from a lot of bands.

Edited by FrancisH

27 minutes ago, incident said:

I think (hope) that the vax/anti vax debate shouldn't be a thing.

I'd take the view that anyone still trying to make it an issue (on either side) at this point let alone by June is an utter twat. By now people have made their choices, any restrictions based on vaccination status are over and don't seem likely to return, and most crucially we're now well past the point where those decisions are going to put other people at risk.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I really don't want to hear anything about COVID at all, all weekend.

Spot on, that. 

(And pretty much what I said the other day to a gym friend who tried to tell me I was a fool because I'd been triple vaxxed and then caught covid)

22 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I am bracing myself for cringe statements about "getting through it" and "being together again at glasto" from a lot of bands.

I don't think that would be that cringe to be honest.   Whatever way you look at it, we've got through 'it' and I really hope the festival is a massive celebration of us being together again. 

Sure, festivals ran last year but until the Big G is back, they aren't fully back. 

20 minutes ago, incident said:

I normally love spending a bit of time at the Speaker's Forum in the Green Fields and at Leftfield for the debates but I worry all of that carries a risk of ending up being Covid-chat.

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don't think that would be that cringe to be honest.   Whatever way you look at it, we've got through 'it' and I really hope the festival is a massive celebration of us being together again. 

Sure, festivals ran last year but until the Big G is back, they aren't fully back. 

Don't get me wrong I do totally agree, I do I hope it's a massive celebration of us being together too - maybe it's just me being cynical but I'd prefer to do that by actions and not by being constantly reminded of how shit it was

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Don't get me wrong I do totally agree, I do I hope it's a massive celebration of us being together too - maybe it's just me being cynical but I'd prefer to do that by actions and not by being constantly reminded of how shit it was

I agree. The less said about the whole thing the better imo

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I normally love spending a bit of time at the Speaker's Forum in the Green Fields and at Leftfield for the debates but I worry all of that carries a risk of ending up being Covid-chat.

To be fair there are a number of non Covid things in the news at the moment as well. I'm interested to see what the political messaging will be like in general this year from the artwork to the activists etc. We lived and are continuing to live through interesting times. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think it depends a lot on your relationship with an act, if it's some bloke from some fairly anonymous US touring band then it's cringe but it will be both euphoric and tearful when Lekiddo gives us a speech about being back together spreading the lobster love and drops this:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I think it depends a lot on your relationship with an act, if it's some bloke from some fairly anonymous US touring band then it's cringe but it will be both euphoric and tearful when Lekiddo gives us a speech about being back together spreading the lobster love and drops this:

Last year, I went to a local folk festival (not my thing really but it was a rare opportunity to have beer in a field while listening to music) and a friend of a friend mentioned to me that someone he works with is a performer at Glasto.  I asked what his name was and he assured me I wouldn't have heard of him.  On pressing him further, it was only bloody Lekkido!  Heard of him? I said, he's a bloody legend!  I then might have talked about him, searched my phone for pictures of him, told him about when I first saw him etc etc. for longer than he thought possible!

• Upvote 1

I make playlists for pubs and stuff and he calls our company every now and then trying to flog his tunes. Was a very weird meeting of two worlds when I first answered the office phone to Lekkido Lord of the Lobsters on a gray February afternoon.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

To be fair there are a number of non Covid things in the news at the moment as well. I'm interested to see what the political messaging will be like in general this year from the artwork to the activists etc. We lived and are continuing to live through interesting times. 

Oh I know and I can imagine some fantasticly interesting guests at the Leftfield Ukraine debate but once they open up to questions I just worry everything will be derailed by COVID stuff. 

40 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I make playlists for pubs and stuff and he calls our company every now and then trying to flog his tunes. Was a very weird meeting of two worlds when I first answered the office phone to Lekkido Lord of the Lobsters on a gray February afternoon.

I hope you bought them up and turned some cafés into happening cafés.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

I highly doubt it. Off the top of my head since the last Glastonbury we've had the Black Lives Matter movement explode back into life. We have an increasingly unpopular Tory government who have continued to cut public services, hike taxes to the poorest in our society, as well as giving their mates massive profits.  Inequality is spiralling out of control in this country as living standards are falling through the roof. Then you have the spectre of war in Europe, the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, Palestine and Yemen and the continuing refugee crisis. The rise of the far-right in Europe and the "trans debate" in this country.  There's also a backdrop of the left's success in central and Southern America (with Columbia's election potentially leading to a second pink tide - which may or may not be stamped out my American imperialism). Then you have the internal debates in the Labour Party and the left's role in the politics of Europe more generally. 

I'd be seriously disappointed if LeftField was so devoid of imagination that chatter was confined to talking about COVID (although I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had around the pharmaceutical industry and the vaccine hierarchy in the global north). 

Edited by kemosabe
  • Upvote 6

58 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I highly doubt it. Off the top of my head since the last Glastonbury we've had the Black Lives Matter movement explode back into life. We have an increasingly unpopular Tory government who have continued to cut public services, hike taxes to the poorest in our society, as well as giving their mates massive profits.  Inequality is spiralling out of control in this country as living standards are falling through the roof. Then you have the spectre of war in Europe, the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, Palestine and Yemen and the continuing refugee crisis. The rise of the far-right in Europe and the "trans debate" in this country.  There's also a backdrop of the left's success in central and Southern America (with Columbia's election potentially leading to a second pink tide - which may or may not be stamped out my American imperialism). Then you have the internal debates in the Labour Party and the left's role in the politics of Europe more generally. 

I'd be seriously disappointed if LeftField was so devoid of imagination that chatter was confined to talking about COVID (although I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had around the pharmaceutical industry and the vaccine hierarchy in the global north). 

I'm just worried about the topic creeping in all over the place, I suspect there will be one Leftfield session officially given over to COVID which can be easily avoided but I'm pretty sure it'll raise it's head all over the place. You think a discussion about Latin American politics wouldn't include their COVID response?

The Shagri-La team are definitely not short of inspiration. I'm so excited to see what they come up with this year!

I think we'll see something along the lines of the ordinary people rising up as that can incorporate the cost of living crisis, black lives matter, covid restrictions and especially Ukraine. 

I too am hoping for not too Covid heavy and especially any discussion on restrictions/vaccines to be carefully approached. I do think there are interesting discussions to be had on how the lockdowns changed soceity overnight, and the lasting cultural impact of that though. 

Am I right in thinking the first we generally know about area announcements is via social media or knowing this place is it because we've done some super sleuthing and noticed a change on a certain area's info page on the official site?

It's been a long 3 years and my memory has gone walkies.