LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

2 area announcements starting this week (based on the Tues / Thurs pattern* of previous years) and every week between now and the end of June gives space for 12 announcements if we predict full poster arriving w/c 23rd May or 14 announcements if it doesn't drop until Mon 30th / Tues 31st May.

Number of announcements based on previous years:
2016 - 11
2017 - 12
2019 - 16

So yeah, I'm thinking announcements start this week.

*there is no pattern

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Kidz Field, Tuesday 19th.

Silver Hayes, Thursday 21st.

I'll almost be disappointed with them if they don't troll us by dropping Kidz Field first.

I hate the kidz field announcement as they usually have something I want to see. I'm always so annoyed that I don't get to see Dynamo. 😄 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I hate the kidz field announcement as they usually have something I want to see. I'm always so annoyed that I don't get to see Dynamo. 😄 

I was exactly the same, but didn't think it would be very cool to suggest to my mates we fit an act on Kidz Field into our clashfinder 😄 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

I was exactly the same, but didn't think it would be very cool to suggest to my mates we fit an act on Kidz Field into our clashfinder 😄 

I think they have security on the gate don't they and won't let you in if you're a solo adult (for obvious reasons)? So you'd each have to borrow a child from somewhere if you want to see him 😄

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think they have security on the gate don't they and won't let you in if you're a solo adult (for obvious reasons)? So you'd each have to borrow a child from somewhere if you want to see him 😄

This year my friend is bringing her 3 year old so clashes permitting I would have a ringer child to take with me 😄 

3 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Really?! It was my first Glastonbury so I don't really know where I was but I remember seeing people playing bubble football in what I assumed was the Kidz Field but maybe I was somewhere else.

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Really?! It was my first Glastonbury so I don't really know where I was but I remember seeing people playing bubble football in what I assumed was the Kidz Field but maybe I was somewhere else.

Bubble football is in the circus field isn't it (I bow to peoples infinite wisdom on that)? Kidz Field is quite out the way as it's down by the cinema and acoustic tent and has a fuck off massive pirate ship in it.  

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

Bubble football is in the circus field isn't it (I bow to peoples infinite wisdom on that)? Kidz Field is quite out the way as it's down by the cinema and acoustic tent and has a fuck off massive pirate ship in it.  

Ah yes, you might be right. I just had a look at the 2014 map and I don't remember venturing towards Kidz Field.

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I’m pretty sure that @Neil has said that the kids field is for children of all ages and that you don’t need a child with you. You might be kept an eye on inside to make sure that you have innocent motives 

14 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’m pretty sure that @Neil has said that the kids field is for children of all ages and that you don’t need a child with you. You might be kept an eye on inside to make sure that you have innocent motives 

You can go in during the festival but I know adults weren't allowed to go in and watch Dynamo. 

1 hour ago, tarw said:

I’m pretty sure that @Neil has said that the kids field is for children of all ages and that you don’t need a child with you

that's what tony who runs the field has said to me, at busy times you might get stopped from entering if you don't have a child.

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

that's what tony who runs the field has said to me, at busy times you might get stopped from entering if you don't have a child.

Yep I'd guess when the biggest act they have is playing would count as at busy times. I've definitely been in there to look at the facilities for a friend who wanted to know what was there for kids but it would probably have been on a Thursday or very early morning one day. 

Green Futures:

The new science area in the Green Futures Field at Glastonbury 2022
The new science area, ‘Science Futures’, will fascinate, inform and inspire festival-goers. Science Futures provides balance to politics and media spin by giving visitors the chance to discover the science behind current issues on their own terms, and to meet the researchers working towards a brighter future.
Background and Purpose
Our times are characterised by concerns about the consequences of human activity for the future of our planet. Growing public awareness of our environmental footprint has given rise to widespread activism, scaremongering, and political spin. The science behind the headlines is often disregarded or misrepresented in favour of superficial soundbites, ‘likes’, and viewing figures. ‘Science Futures’ provides a counter-balance to politics, spin, and news media.
Science Futures is dedicated to the crucial role of science in identifying environmental and societal issues, and the scientists working to find solutions. The area features science-themed stalls, installations, and performances to create a relaxed and engaging atmosphere in which visitors can find out about the scientific evidence behind the headlines and discover how different areas of research are coming together to secure a brighter future for all life on Earth. Scientists will be accessible and available to answer festival-goers’ pressing questions.
Stalls and Exhibits
The full stalls in the area are selected through a competitive process based on the offer to visitors and the visual aspect of the stalls. Our big top tent, the Futurarium (formerly ‘the Science Tent’), features smaller stands or exhibits from a range of scientific disciplines. This year, festival-goers can discover sustainable materials, plant power, and rocket science, among many other exciting areas of research. We also have the fun side of ecology with veterans Sex & Bugs & Rock ’n Roll and we are particularly pleased to welcome Arctic Basecamp, celebrated for their campaigns for climate science at the World Economic forum and COP26.
The Laboratory Stage
The Laboratory stage will host scheduled science-themed performance art where festival-goers can linger and enjoy the most innovative and entertaining forms of science communication – whether music, interactive demonstrations, or stand-up comedy! Most performances are organised in advance and some are linked to the stalls in Science Futures, but daily open-mic sessions are available for any budding or experienced scientist performers attending the festival.
Art and Installations
In keeping with the festival’s strong tradition of contemporary arts and visual impact, our outdoor art exhibition Science, not Fiction makes an essential contribution to the launch of Science Futures by demonstrating how art and science go hand in hand. Artworks promote non-verbal forms of science communication and additional installations reveal some surprising aspects of science that most of us never even imagined.
May be a cartoon of text

6 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Green Futures:

The new science area in the Green Futures Field at Glastonbury 2022
The new science area, ‘Science Futures’, will fascinate, inform and inspire festival-goers. Science Futures provides balance to politics and media spin by giving visitors the chance to discover the science behind current issues on their own terms, and to meet the researchers working towards a brighter future.
Background and Purpose
Our times are characterised by concerns about the consequences of human activity for the future of our planet. Growing public awareness of our environmental footprint has given rise to widespread activism, scaremongering, and political spin. The science behind the headlines is often disregarded or misrepresented in favour of superficial soundbites, ‘likes’, and viewing figures. ‘Science Futures’ provides a counter-balance to politics, spin, and news media.
Science Futures is dedicated to the crucial role of science in identifying environmental and societal issues, and the scientists working to find solutions. The area features science-themed stalls, installations, and performances to create a relaxed and engaging atmosphere in which visitors can find out about the scientific evidence behind the headlines and discover how different areas of research are coming together to secure a brighter future for all life on Earth. Scientists will be accessible and available to answer festival-goers’ pressing questions.
Stalls and Exhibits
The full stalls in the area are selected through a competitive process based on the offer to visitors and the visual aspect of the stalls. Our big top tent, the Futurarium (formerly ‘the Science Tent’), features smaller stands or exhibits from a range of scientific disciplines. This year, festival-goers can discover sustainable materials, plant power, and rocket science, among many other exciting areas of research. We also have the fun side of ecology with veterans Sex & Bugs & Rock ’n Roll and we are particularly pleased to welcome Arctic Basecamp, celebrated for their campaigns for climate science at the World Economic forum and COP26.
The Laboratory Stage
The Laboratory stage will host scheduled science-themed performance art where festival-goers can linger and enjoy the most innovative and entertaining forms of science communication – whether music, interactive demonstrations, or stand-up comedy! Most performances are organised in advance and some are linked to the stalls in Science Futures, but daily open-mic sessions are available for any budding or experienced scientist performers attending the festival.
Art and Installations
In keeping with the festival’s strong tradition of contemporary arts and visual impact, our outdoor art exhibition Science, not Fiction makes an essential contribution to the launch of Science Futures by demonstrating how art and science go hand in hand. Artworks promote non-verbal forms of science communication and additional installations reveal some surprising aspects of science that most of us never even imagined.
May be a cartoon of text

Interesting to see if that changes the vibe of the Greenfields as some of the things in there could be described as a little anti-science. Sounds very interesting. I look forward to popping along. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Interesting to see if that changes the vibe of the Greenfields as some of the things in there could be described as a little anti-science. Sounds very interesting. I look forward to popping along. 

Green Futures has always been very science-friendly - they've been banging on about most of the stuff listed there (climate change, renewable energy, recycling, permaculture, etc) for decades. Arguably the newest thing here is the use of the actual word "science".

I think that any "anti-science" aspects of the Green Fields are massively overplayed, but what there is tends to be found next door in the healing field. Even there, I think most of people touting bullshit therapies would tell you it's complementary to proper medicine/treatment and not a replacement.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Green Futures has always been very science-friendly - they've been banging on about most of the stuff listed there (climate change, renewable energy, recycling, permaculture, etc) for decades. Arguably the newest thing here is the use of the actual word "science".

I think that any "anti-science" aspects of the Green Fields are massively overplayed, but what there is tends to be found next door in the healing field. Even there, I think most of people touting bullshit therapies would tell you it's complementary to proper medicine/treatment and not a replacement.

Yes I know that the environmental side has always had a science focus I just think especially this year with the  whole vax/anti vax bit there could be a bit of a clash with science vs anti science within those fields. I think it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm actually very excited to have a good look around all the Greenfields this year. 

I think (hope) that the vax/anti vax debate shouldn't be a thing.

I'd take the view that anyone still trying to make it an issue (on either side) at this point let alone by June is an utter twat. By now people have made their choices, any restrictions based on vaccination status are over and don't seem likely to return, and most crucially we're now well past the point where those decisions are going to put other people at risk.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I really don't want to hear anything about COVID at all, all weekend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11