LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 hours ago, Olshansky said:

it really is.  It's a also very LA - very much a scene, and a place to be seen. Selfie Kingdom.  Now, as a New Yorker, there's always been a rivalry between us and LA so take that into consideration with what I say... it's not like New York has a better festival or really even any festival to put up against it.  But yeah, Coachella sucks. 

Can I ask if you've any experience of Bonnaroo to contrast against? Does it suffer from the same level of bullshit?

I've always thought that Coachella looked like the worst festival possible, but every so often toy with the idea of going to Bonnaroo on a Glastonbury fallow year.

35 minutes ago, incident said:

Can I ask if you've any experience of Bonnaroo to contrast against? Does it suffer from the same level of bullshit?

I've always thought that Coachella looked like the worst festival possible, but every so often toy with the idea of going to Bonnaroo on a Glastonbury fallow year.

Bonaroo doesn’t have the “you can only drink in the beer garden” nonsense, though to be fair, when I went to coachella it was too hot to drink and everyone just got stoned while watching the bands. The food was awful, but the music was insanely good (I was lucky enough to go in ‘06 when Daft Punk played…first festival that year of a run of 6 trying to fill a fallow year hole! 😁)…I didn’t camp, got a lovely hotel in Palm Springs and we drove in each day, so it was a bit like bennicassim…a sun holiday with a gig every day. Outside Lands in San Francisco is definitely worth a try if you fancy a US festival though (can get a bit foggy and chilly mind)…

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typo!

6 hours ago, TheDayman said:

We left Dublin at around 9am... think it was 7:30pm by the time we got into the car park (for anyone else reading that's normally a 2 hour drive). We then ended up in the overflow campsite and which was polluted with wasps...

That said, was still a great festival. Roll on July! 

Jaysus those wasps were bad alright. We left Dublin about 9ish as well, but like an eejit I said “sure, no problem” when my mate asked if we could have a quick stop in Kildare Village on the way down as he wanted to see if there was anything good in the north face…7 hours later when we were still in a massive queue of cars, I coulda killed him! Still going back this year though! (Need my Nick Cave fix!)…

49 minutes ago, incident said:

Bonnaroo has always seemed the most like a UK festival to me - although still pretty far away. So many better options in Europe though honestly

53 minutes ago, incident said:

Bonnaroo does have the lack of beer jail going for it, and they're the only large festival in the US to have big name bands going till 3-4 AM. But over the years those late nights have started to end earlier, sets have gotten shorter, and the booking has gone in the same direction that glasto is maybe going, except much faster and without very many of the niche bookings that make hardcore music fans happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

I haven't been - I've had friends who've enjoyed it!  but those friends havent been to glasto so they don't know what they're missing. 

I'm told that camping is on a grid system, and you are told where to camp when you arrive.   camping is separate, ie, queue up every day to get in.  Don't know if you can go back and forth. Apparently there are kids driving around golf carts if you get too tired to walk.  I'm also told that you can drink by the stages, but you cannot bring in your own alcohol to the festival. My friend wasn't sure if you could bring your own alcohol to the camping areas or not. 

Tennessee can also get really humid and hot - it's the American south after all.  

I remember late 00s at Reading (main sponsor was Carling) you could exchange any 4 cans of lager for 4x cold Carling. We thought that was such a good deal back then.

I also remember you could exchange a single cigarette in a packet for a fresh deck of Malboro lights. What a time to be alive!

5 hours ago, Olshansky said:

At Coachella (which I would never attend again if you paid me) it's even worse than this.  Yes you have to go through security every day from the campsite, but also, once you're in you're in.  If you go back to your tent for any reason you forfeit the day. 

They don't let you on the grounds until noon, so everyone queues in the hot sun all day until they can get in.   It's so hot in the desert, that they actually have someone coming by the tents to make sure you're not in there past 8am because they don't want people to pass out from the heat.  So basically you have 4 hours to kill in a queue every day.  Get searched.  can't go back.  and then once you're in - you can only drink alcohol in the beer tent or in designated areas.  No alcohol in front of the stages.  It's actually quite ridiculous. 

Jesus it sounds like a terrible festival insane it’s so popular.

5 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Jesus it sounds like a terrible festival insane it’s so popular.

Kind of like America in general, amiright? lol 

I think it's because it was kind of our first go at it, if you don't count woodstock(s).  And because it's america, where we pay thousands of dollars for healthcare, it makes sense that our festivals have $12 slices of pizza and police our drinking. 

To make a long story short, I once spent a half hour talking about what a terrible time I had at coachella to this random guy at an outdoor concert in central park.  (he had complimented my glastonbury tote, and we got to talking. He had also been to glasto that year, 2017).  I really didn't hold back - told him every reason why I thought it was shit.  Turned out he works for Coachella - and not like crew but like, planning the thing.  I felt kinda dumb but also kinda glad that he heard the truth from someone. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

Kind of like America in general, amiright? lol 

I think it's because it was kind of our first go at it, if you don't count woodstock(s).  And because it's america, where we pay thousands of dollars for healthcare, it makes sense that our festivals have $12 slices of pizza and police our drinking. 

To make a long story short, I once spent a half hour talking about what a terrible time I had at coachella to this random guy at an outdoor concert in central park.  (he had complimented my glastonbury tote, and we got to talking. He had also been to glasto that year, 2017).  I really didn't hold back - told him every reason why I thought it was shit.  Turned out he works for Coachella - and not like crew but like, planning the thing.  I felt kinda dumb but also kinda glad that he heard the truth from someone. 

You're not wrong

You shouldn't feel dumb, it's important they know how shit people who have been to other festivals think Coachella is 

2 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I haven't been - I've had friends who've enjoyed it!  but those friends havent been to glasto so they don't know what they're missing. 

I'm told that camping is on a grid system, and you are told where to camp when you arrive.   camping is separate, ie, queue up every day to get in.  Don't know if you can go back and forth. Apparently there are kids driving around golf carts if you get too tired to walk.  I'm also told that you can drink by the stages, but you cannot bring in your own alcohol to the festival. My friend wasn't sure if you could bring your own alcohol to the camping areas or not. 

Tennessee can also get really humid and hot - it's the American south after all.  

Isle of wight and latitude have these (hardly anyone uses them except for the first/last day though i think)

2 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

I remember late 00s at Reading (main sponsor was Carling) you could exchange any 4 cans of lager for 4x cold Carling. We thought that was such a good deal back then.

I also remember you could exchange a single cigarette in a packet for a fresh deck of Malboro lights. What a time to be alive!

just shows how much money Malboro makes. surely teenagers at Reading isn't their audience anyway!
also sounds slightly illegal with minimum pricing rules?

The carling one is great for the heat!

8 hours ago, gfa said:

just shows how much money Malboro makes. surely teenagers at Reading isn't their audience anyway!

I’d rather a warm can of any lager than a cold Carling.

When I first started going out in Birmingham in the late 90’s you used to get the “Marlboro Girls” coming round the pubs with packs of fags and  Marlboro merch. It’s true that they would swap any pack, regardless of brand or how many there were, for a full twenty deck. As a Marlboro Light smoker it was brilliant, you’d get the non-smokers round the table involved too and you could easily walk out at the end of the night with 100+ fags.

What a time to be alive.

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Isle of wight and latitude have these (hardly anyone uses them except for the first/last day though i think)

Get them hooked while they’re young. I’d assume that practice is extremely illegal now though anyway.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I’d rather a warm can of any lager than a cold Carling.

When I first started going out in Birmingham in the late 90’s you used to get the “Marlboro Girls” coming round the pubs with packs of fags and  Marlboro merch. It’s true that they would swap any pack, regardless of brand or how many there were, for a full twenty deck. As a Marlboro Light smoker it was brilliant, you’d get the non-smokers round the table involved too and you could easily walk out at the end of the night with 100+ fags.

What a time to be alive.

They had to stop it in the early 00’s when the government massively clamped down on cigarette advertising and marketing.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Get them hooked while they’re young. I’d assume that practice is extremely illegal now though anyway.

As I’ve just said, there was a massive clampdown on cigarette promotion and advertising early 00’s. Things like the Marlboro Girls were the first to go.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As I’ve just said, there was a massive clampdown on cigarette promotion and advertising early 00’s. Things like the Marlboro Girls were the first to go.

Yeah I think Australia did it all first? Then we had the horrible pictures on the packets, then blank packaging, then no packaging on sight eventually.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah I think Australia did it all first? Then we had the horrible pictures on the packets, then blank packaging, then no packaging on sight eventually.

Used to be that fags were often cheaper to buy at festivals than they were in shops, although the selection from the stalls were always terrible, often ended up smoking Camels or whatever else I could find. You could usually find someone selling duty free ML's up in the stone circle.

That said I haven't bought a packet of fags since 2015. A mate told me the other day how much they cost now and couldn't believe it!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Used to be that fags were often cheaper to buy at festivals than they were in shops, although the selection from the stalls were always terrible, often ended up smoking Camels or whatever else I could find. You could usually find someone selling duty free ML's up in the stone circle.

That said I haven't bought a packet of fags since 2015. A mate told me the other day how much they cost now and couldn't believe it!

Yeah I’ve never smoked, but most of my mates did. I don’t know anyone who actually smokes properly now though, a lot of them do socially but I don’t think anyone can stomach the cost of a 20 a day habit nowadays, you could lease a nice car for the same price. 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah I’ve never smoked, but most of my mates did. I don’t know anyone who actually smokes properly now though, a lot of them do socially but I don’t think anyone can stomach the cost of a 20 a day habit nowadays, you could lease a nice car for the same price. 

I know they did away with 10 packs to try and discourage social smokers, even at the height on smoking was probably only on about 6-8 a day. Obviously more if I was out drinking.

Fuck that now, not paying 12-15 quid a pack!