LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

33 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think it's quite likely. 

As an aside there seems to be more Aussie acts on the line up this year then normal (I think there's 5 or 6 on that initial poster). Is that coincidence, a fact they haven't toured for a couple of years, or is it a music scene that is really breaking out over here at the moment?   

Would love Spacey Jane, Gang of Youths and Last Dinosaurs all to be added.

Gang of Youths look pretty likely, norway the weekend before, netherlands the weekend after. Last Dinosaurs and Spacey are touring the uk in the next few weeks - although Spacey Jane's US dates rule them out and last dinosaurs seem to be staying in australia for our summer.

Gang of Youths did Brixton 2 weeks ago for size - the scene is definitely growing here, they put on a fantastic performance at Sziget in 2019 (Sziget is pretty popular with Aussies/Kiwis which helped)

3 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Looking at their tour schedule it seems "yet" is the key word there!

I think it is wishful thinking for king gizz. They were never playing the 2020 festival. Big miss by the festival if they haven't been booked.

4 hours ago, kemosabe said:

I think it's quite likely. 

As an aside there seems to be more Aussie acts on the line up this year then normal (I think there's 5 or 6 on that initial poster). Is that coincidence, a fact they haven't toured for a couple of years, or is it a music scene that is really breaking out over here at the moment?   

Where would they fit on that line up they sell out Ally Pally nowadays, I think they would want to be much higher up that there is a spot for

34 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Where would they fit on that line up they sell out Ally Pally nowadays, I think they would want to be much higher up that there is a spot for

I reckon they'll play about third from the top on the Other stage. Kind of like Courteeners I think their fanbase and Glastonbury's doesn't quite overlap completely - so while they sell out venues I'm not sure in translates into massive crowds at the festival. 

Running the numbers, I make it we have around 16 areas given official announcements, and other drops like the ETC, Poetry & Words, Greenpeace etc, before the full line-up with times come in early June. Imagine that’ll be be the 1st to avoid the Jubilee Bank Holiday.

Previous years suggest they’ll start w/c April 11, but don’t think it is sensational to suggest things could start a bit earlier.

This is one of my favourite periods of the build-up. The dust has settled after the first big drop, resales etc and the festival starts to take shape on and away from the farm.

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

10-15 years ago R/L used to sell out as quickly as Glasto.

Used to be that the lineup was announced at 6pm, tickets went on sale at 6.30 and by 7 weekend tickets were gone.

Then those festivals started getting taken over by kids setting fire to tents and being general dickheads. It put a lot of people off from going to those festivals. 

7 hours ago, zero000 said:

There’s definitely a case to be made that the festival needs to evolve or die. Being stagnant just isn’t an option. Emily has obviously been a huge factor in pushing the festival forward and hopefully that will continue in the future with other Eavis’ picking up the baton. 

As I get older I don’t find Glastonbury any less appealing then I did when I was 18, but we’re all outliers on this forum and music obsessed compared to your average punter. So there’s always going to people somewhat left behind. 

I totally agree with this. I’d always support any moves to make sure the festival’s reputation remains quite remarkable and contemporary. I’ll find exciting acts to see even if there’s plenty I’m not too excited about. 

59 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Then those festivals started getting taken over by kids setting fire to tents and being general dickheads. It put a lot of people off from going to those festivals. 

They stopped selling out when the fires stopped to be honest. The final last night riots were around 2010 and thats when it stopped selling out instantly.

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

They stopped selling out when the fires stopped to be honest. The final last night riots were around 2010 and thats when it stopped selling out instantly.

Last time I went to Leeds fest was 2011 and kids were still setting tents on fire on the final night then. 

Watching things unfold in here over the last few days has been entertaining 😄 

My two cents... I appreciate that the festival needs to evolve and cater to a younger audience, I'm cool with that. My problem, well, probably better described as an irk, is what is popular music these days. Modern hip-hop isn't my bag but I do find a fair bit of what's out there at the moment to be quite generic, sometimes over produced and to be honest, at times pretty trashy. For example I don't get the whole Cardi-B WAP thing and if I had a young daughter, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be bringing her to the Pyramid to sing along to the lyrics of Doja Cat's "Rules" (I also dont think thats an age thing as it's the same reason I wasn't a fan of the violent lyrics of 90s/00s gangster rap).

All that said, I'm not too worried who the headliners are and find I'm more often caught between the Park, the Other Stage & West Holts anyway.

Now back to the topic... Rumour has it we might hear something this week??

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’m certainly not expecting much this week.

In a normal year we would only just have had the first poster.

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does it ? or is this a rumour thats just started ? 

@Gnomicide said this week i swear?

48 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Last time I went to Leeds fest was 2011 and kids were still setting tents on fire on the final night then. 

This was pretty much the end of it - nothing like that now

1 minute ago, TheDayman said:

I think @Gnomicide might have something but is sworn to secrecy as to what it is!

Some sort of update to one of the areas I believe...

I think that was the helter skelter debacle 😂

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

First night in 2019, early am before sunrise. Some girl in the next tent over for about 20 minutes "I can't believe you all just left me"

Friends "but it's so busy..."

Girl "I'll leave, is that what you want I'll just pack my stuff and go"

This went on until a voice from the distance bellowed

Random man "Well piss off then or go to bed but stop arguing and let us sleep" saying what we were all thinking.

hahaah amazing