LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Oh the cups of liquid chucked around at V - and the quick question to each other - "was it warm?".  I don't miss that.

I actually find throwing beer more strange, (don’t get me wrong you are the worst human being if you throw piss) but why would you throw a pint that you have just queued for and spent £5plus on and you have no access to the bar anymore as you are in a crowd, absolute madness

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

I actually find throwing beer more strange, (don’t get me wrong you are the worst human being if you throw piss) but why would you throw a pint that you have just queued for and spent £5plus on and you have no access to the bar anymore as you are in a crowd, absolute madness

I've always thought the same! 

19 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Me too!

Mind you, piss and the beer at V weren't very different.

I only went there once, during a fallow year.

I had no idea that they had the camping and arena bits separate and security between them.  I got put on the naughty step for being worse for wear when going into the arena and I think I may have had a bottle of some sort of hooch very unsubtly shoved in my sleeve which they didn't like either.  Plus as you say only a couple of brands of booze.

They had some decent acts on and the stages etc were OK, but the rest of it just seemed so alien to me.  Even with the superfence once you're inside you just go where you like.

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I had no idea that they had the camping and arena bits separate and security between them.  I got put on the naughty step for being worse for wear when going into the arena and I think I may have had a bottle of some sort of hooch very unsubtly shoved in my sleeve which they didn't like either.  Plus as you say only a couple of brands of booze.

They had some decent acts on and the stages etc were OK, but the rest of it just seemed so alien to me.  Even with the superfence once you're inside you just go where you like.

Sometimes we forget that Glastonbury is the exception. Pretty much every other festival I've been to has some sort of central "arena" where all of the entertainment is and you camp outside of that. None of them let you take your own booze and whatnot in (the old Bestival was at least very lapse in how strongly they enforced this).

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Sometimes we forget that Glastonbury is the exception. Pretty much every other festival I've been to has some sort of central "arena" where all of the entertainment is and you camp outside of that. None of them let you take your own booze and whatnot in (the old Bestival was at least very lapse in how strongly they enforced this).

Some of the smaller ones allow it. EOTR, Green Man etc. 

Main reason I stopped going to the Electric Picnic in Ireland. Nip back to the tent for a quick clothes change and you get searched on the way back in as if you're entering the White House. Fuck that.

Edited by The Nal

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You get used to it eventually anyway, we were a group of 12 at Reading last year and lost no alcohol at all smuggling it in. It actually becomes sort of fun trying new ways to smuggle as much in as possible - its not hard at all to get a plastic bottle with spirit mixer in each + a can

Edited by gfa

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

And the 'arena' areas are all too often expanding. At Electric Picnic, there used to be areas where you could BYO, various stages throughout the forest and such like. These have fallen away in recent years as the main arena expands. Annual traditions like meeting up with fellow veterans and having a sing-a-long to These Charming Men  with a bag of cans aren't quite the same.

Yeah Glastonbury is so good in that respect. Went to wilderness last year and they had an arena, first couple of days they were fairly chill and you could easily stroll in with a couple of cans in your back pocket. But on the Saturday or Sunday, word had obviously got sent down that there weren't enough 7 pound pints of San Miguel being drunk in the arena and the security were in full police mode, patting you down on the way in and they had someone on a watch tower spying people hiding cans on the approach to the gate. It was really weird as they were getting a proper buzz from it, there was a pile of confiscations which must have been nearing 500 cans. 

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Some of the smaller ones allow it. EOTR, Green Man etc. 

Main reason I stopped going to the Electric Picnic in Ireland. Nip back to the tent for a quick clothes change and you get searched on the way back in as if you're entering the White House. Fuck that.

Beautiful Days is another one with no restrictions. Even if camping 'off site' in the campervan fields there were absolutely minimal checks even for wristbands. Ask @guypjfreak who I crossed paths with on Saturday night as he walked through the gate shouting "don't you want to check my bag - it's full of all kinds of drugs". 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Beautiful Days is another one with no restrictions. Even if camping 'off site' in the campervan fields there were absolutely minimal checks even for wristbands. Ask @guypjfreak who I crossed paths with on Saturday night as he walked through the gate shouting "don't you want to check my bag - it's full of all kinds of drugs". 

Did he say "old son"? If he didn't then I don't believe you....

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Ah didn't realise how prevalent it was.  In that year it also reflected the atmosphere back at camp, as really it was just that, lots of tents with not much space to do the usual sitting around late at night that we'd been used to.  People just went back and went to sleep.

If EOTR isn't like that it would explain why some of the folks I know enjoyed going there, as they're very much people who'd want to take their own booze and also sit around talking bollox late at night.

As for trying to hide booze in the sleeve, being worse for wear and having a bottle which I think was maybe 1 1/2 to 2 litres up each sleeve was a bit too  obvious - looked like I was dressed up as the Tin Man 🙂 

16 minutes ago, CurrySauce said:

Yeah Glastonbury is so good in that respect. Went to wilderness last year and they had an arena, first couple of days they were fairly chill and you could easily stroll in with a couple of cans in your back pocket. But on the Saturday or Sunday, word had obviously got sent down that there weren't enough 7 pound pints of San Miguel being drunk in the arena and the security were in full police mode, patting you down on the way in and they had someone on a watch tower spying people hiding cans on the approach to the gate. It was really weird as they were getting a proper buzz from it, there was a pile of confiscations which must have been nearing 500 cans. 

Thankfully the Oxfam camp was by the family camping entrance and the security were chill for the whole weekend.

57 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Beautiful Days is another one with no restrictions.

As is Bearded Theory. 

Because I tend only to drink beer, which is difficult to carry in any quantity, I don't mind buying it as long as it's half decent and not extortionate.  But it's good to have a few in reserve for those times when you're in the middle of enjoying something and don't want to make a trip to the bar.

• Upvote 1

Having the campsites intertwined within the festival, and no security walls breaking things apart, was the biggest shock for me at Glastonbury. It's incredible.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Electric Picnic lost its soul when John Reynolds (RIP) was pushed out. Reynolds had a vision similar to Glastonbury's. After the financial crash in 2008, his venues Tripod & Crawdaddy left him under considerable financial pressure. Although the festival wasn't linked to these ventures, my anecdotal understanding is that they were leveraged to push him out of the festival he created.

No one can argue that EP hasn't grown massively since then. But each year it pulls further away from its roots to becoming another generic festival with an imbalance towards profit over substance.

Getting that balance right is something Glastonbury absolutely excels in. Here's hoping All Together Now can grow to be the festival Reynolds envisioned.

3 minutes ago, TheDayman said:
Having the campsites intertwined within the festival, and no security walls breaking things apart, was the biggest shock for me at Glastonbury. It's incredible.

Yes, the first time I went, we were camped right by the John Peel tent.  It blew my mind!

29 minutes ago, TheDayman said:
Electric Picnic lost its soul when John Reynolds (RIP) was pushed out. Reynolds had a vision similar to Glastonbury's.

I haven't been since 08. Getting patted down like you're at the door of some dodgy 90s club everytime I got back to my tent isn't for me. 

Never mind the fact that you can only drink from overpriced bars all day. Having already paid top wedge for a ticket. 

Once you're in, you're in at Glasto.

Remember the freak outs a few years ago when there was some rumour they'd stop that?

Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis in 'drink less' call

And then very quickly

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis clarifies festival alcohol policy Eavis confirms that festival goers will be permitted to wheel in alcohol on trolleys

Edited by The Nal

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I haven't been since 08. Getting patted down like you're at the door of some dodgy 90s club everytime I got back to my tent isn't for me. 

Never mind the fact that you can only drink from overpriced bars all day. Having already paid top wedge for a ticket. 

Remember the freak outs a few years ago when there was some rumour they'd stop that?

And then very quickly

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis clarifies festival alcohol policy Eavis confirms that festival goers will be permitted to wheel in alcohol on trolleys

It is amazing sometimes how ambitious those folks are with their trolleys piled high with crates of beer.

I had a pal carry one of those blue plastic coolers on each arm one year filled with ice cold cans.  I'd have struggled to bring either of them but he brought both all the way with no complaint and without stopping every 50 feet, which is what I do when I've overpacked.

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And then very quickly

I do think the ability to bring your own booze and take it everywhere at the festival is something to consider in terms of the ticket price. Not saying it includes corkage or anything like that but you can offset the hefty cost of the ticket against being able to bring your own booze. 

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And then very quickly

Ah the "Trolley booze" panic... a simpler time.

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I do think the ability to bring your own booze and take it everywhere at the festival is something to consider in terms of the ticket price. Not saying it includes corkage or anything like that but you can offset the hefty cost of the ticket against being able to bring your own booze. 

Agreed, used to do 2000 Trees every year with some mates and don't think I ever bought a single drink off the bars - saved an absolute fortune. 

Granted we were allowed on-site a day early so we could drive a couple cars full of crates straight into camp.