Your Discoveries of 2020

Quark

Inspired by the AOTY lists and by re-reading the 2020 New Music thread, what have been your discoveries of the year? Could be stuff you already knew of but never got round to listening to, or stuff you never even knew existed until now. Doesn't need to be in order or anything, just an interesting snapshot of what's been keeping us excited. Just try not to make it stuff you'd listened to before but never got in to until now; we're talking stuff that's completely new to your ears.

Youth Sector - support act for October Drift in Brighton, never even knew they existed and ended up releasing my favourite track of the year

Lane 8 - house DJ, turned out to be one of my top 3 albums of the year (thanks @nikkic for flagging)

Eliza & The Delusionals - recommended by @Noeliam  @lessthanwill1

Beach Bunny - @lessthanwill1 again

Fightmilk - popped up on Twitter as label mates of Bugeye so kept seeing them getting retweeted by both band and label

Diet Cig - no idea where I came across them!

Jetstream Pony - think that was @Copperface

Margo Price - lots of people raving about her on here

Dream Nails - cheers @Keithy, another new band that made my top 10 AOTY list.

What was pretty obvious is how much I pick up as result of loitering in a web forum when I should be doing some work. Keep the recommendations coming next year and I'll try to do the same :)

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Phoebe fucking Bridgers

Wasn’t on my radar before I heard Kyoto. Obsessed with her now.

Michael Kiwanuka somehow passed me by last year, so his albums have been getting a lot of air time. 

Other than that I’ve really enjoyed TORRES, Sault, The Big Moon, Sports Team and Baxter Drury. 

• Upvote 1

This year I discovered a love for Australian artists, some pushed my way by a mate that spent a couple of years over there, some recommended on here and some I just stumbled across. Lime Cordiale, Sticky Fingers, Winston Surfshirt, Crooked Colours, Eliza and the Delusionals, DMAs, Amyl and the Sniffers, RBCF. 
Heard some of these for the first time during the warm spring evenings of lockdown #1 sat in the garden with a gin or a beer, a perfect combination.

Hazel English's album was fucking brilliant from the start of the year.

Never heard of Sevdaliza either and that was a great album.

Although I had heard of Lianne La Havas before, I had never listened to any of her work and now her album is probs in my top 5. Similar story for Sault too.

Also never heard of Jeff Rosenstock whose album was banging.

On the EP side Thyla are great (thanks @Quark) and the Tkay Maidza was nearly perfect imo. Also really enjoyed Zella Day, Shygirl, India Jordan and Koan Sound.

8 hours ago, Baggins7 said:

This year I discovered a love for Australian artists, some pushed my way by a mate that spent a couple of years over there, some recommended on here and some I just stumbled across. Lime Cordiale, Sticky Fingers, Winston Surfshirt, Crooked Colours, Eliza and the Delusionals, DMAs, Amyl and the Sniffers, RBCF. 
Heard some of these for the first time during the warm spring evenings of lockdown #1 sat in the garden with a gin or a beer, a perfect combination.

MASSIVE fan of Sticky Fingers at the moment and i only discovered them during lockdown one, yet to find a song from them i've not enjoyed and Yours To Keep has become one of my favourite albums of all time, wish i discovered them sooner.

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The frontman of Sticky Fingers is an abusive racist and they are a scourge on the Australian music scene.

Edit: that wasn’t my 2020 discovery, just needs to be said when they’re brought up

oh wow, i completely missed that. i'll have to try harder to educate myself on these things as i'm often quite blinded by the personal lives of the artists i listen to, having looked into this, yeah there's definitely no excusing his behaviour, vile to say the least.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, dentalplan said:

The frontman of Sticky Fingers is an abusive racist and they are a scourge on the Australian music scene.

Edit: that wasn’t my 2020 discovery, just needs to be said when they’re brought up

Instead of Sticky Fingers, Listen to Ocean Alley. Tunes are just as good but without supporting clowns 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:09 AM, Baggins7 said:

Add in Ocean Alley, Ball park Music, Tired Lion, Violent Soho, Spacey Jane, Skeggs, San Cisco and download the Triple J app. The Oz scene is in fine form at the moment

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/7/2020 at 2:55 PM, Quark said:

Inspired by the AOTY lists and by re-reading the 2020 New Music thread, what have been your discoveries of the year? Could be stuff you already knew of but never got round to listening to, or stuff you never even knew existed until now. Doesn't need to be in order or anything, just an interesting snapshot of what's been keeping us excited. Just try not to make it stuff you'd listened to before but never got in to until now; we're talking stuff that's completely new to your ears.

Youth Sector - support act for October Drift in Brighton, never even knew they existed and ended up releasing my favourite track of the year

Lane 8 - house DJ, turned out to be one of my top 3 albums of the year (thanks @nikkic for flagging)

Eliza & The Delusionals - recommended by @Noeliam  @lessthanwill1

Beach Bunny - @lessthanwill1 again

Fightmilk - popped up on Twitter as label mates of Bugeye so kept seeing them getting retweeted by both band and label

Diet Cig - no idea where I came across them!

Jetstream Pony - think that was @Copperface

Margo Price - lots of people raving about her on here

Dream Nails - cheers @Keithy, another new band that made my top 10 AOTY list.

What was pretty obvious is how much I pick up as result of loitering in a web forum when I should be doing some work. Keep the recommendations coming next year and I'll try to do the same :)

Did you give Tyranny another spin? 

1 hour ago, Gregfc15 said:

Add in Ocean Alley, Ball park Music, Tired Lion, Violent Soho, Spacey Jane, Skeggs, San Cisco and download the Triple J app. The Oz scene is in fine form at the moment

Cheers I’ll have a listen to those. I actually discovered a lot of new artists through a triple J covers playlist! Parcels another one to mention although I already had these on my radar

• Upvote 1

My friend introduced me to LANY around the summer and they're now in my most played of 2020. Pretty chilled listening but also slightly aware that it might be a bit "teenage girl" music. 

Not a discovery but have fallen in love with Taylor Swift even more this year after watching a couple of her documentaries (especially the one on Disney+) and the 2 new albums.

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Must confess I didn't but this has prompted me to go back and give it another whirl this afternoon.

It’s an album that can take a fair amount of time to get into, the first time I listened I remember thinking "what the fuck was that!?" but then gradually I kept going back to it, it's in my top 3 albums of all time. 

People I knew but didn't really know anything by who have been revelations for me this year

Jessie Ware, Lianne Le Havas and Taylor Swift

Ones that were completely new to me 

Beach Bunny, Diet Cig, Peaness, Fightmilk, The Beths, Bob Vylan, Red Rum Club and The Allergies are the main ones. Some wonderful people on this forum have been responsible for giving me a steady diet of new music to listen to. Thanks everyone who puts in the ground work!! 

• Upvote 1