When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 1/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, funkychick2007 said:

The schools are shut!! The only children in them are key worker children and children who are at high risk of being abused!!! The ones the social care known about!! There are children out there tht we dont know about!!! 
As difficult as it is we are having to balance the risk of covid and the risk of abuse!!!  Its not quite as simple as shut the schools! 

There's essentially a fundanmental issue here, isn't there? With schools. Because if it's just the kids of people who can't work at home going in, then the virus is spreading around those schools, who take it back home to their parents, who then go to work and spread it around work. 

Ironically it wouldn't be so bad if it was just the kids whose parents *could* work from home that had to go in.

I don't really see any solutions to this that people would consider "okay". It's not even an educational issue any more, it's a childcare issue. Even if you acknowledged that the kids weren't going to learn anything, what do you do with them? I've suggested before that we just move the school summer holiday to now, but even then it's not like NHS employees can take leave right now to look after their kids.

If a next step is needed, it probably needs to be something quite radical. Have only a few schools operating for kids of essential workers and make them boarding schools. Or come up with some way to do remote childcare... I dunno. It seems the whole thing breaks down when you have: parents have to to go work, kids can't be left alone, no way to supervise kids other than en masse which means them being in contact with other kids. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Thanks for the reminder. I'd already signed up through the Goodsam app, but hadn't heard so just signed up direct with my local NHS trust. Probably not going to have any work until end of March, so it's something to do. Put my festival stewarding experience to good use. Hopefully be a bit less eventful than a Downtown Boomtown night shift!

Cool, hope you hear something back. At the moment I could probably do one day a week max, but some roles only need two shifts a month minimum so realised I could actually go for it. Imagine it would be quite uplifting to see people getting their jabs.

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

One thing the government could do is require supermarkets to bring back distancing and one-way systems in supermarkets. Absolute free-for-all in ours right now.

Maybe it's just where I live - but of the supermarkets in my area only ones attempted a one way system in the first place, and I don't think anybody paid any attention to it even back when they were compliant about everything else. Unless you're going to enforce it or put barriers up a few arrows on the floor will get ignored if people even notice them to start with.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Maybe it's just where I live - but of the supermarkets in my area only ones attempted a one way system in the first place, and I don't think anybody paid any attention to it even back when they were compliant about everything else. Unless you're going to enforce it or put barriers up a few arrows on the floor will get ignored if people even notice them to start with.

It’s also difficult for the staff to enforce too and they have to deal with quite a lot of stress as it is! They deserve more praise. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There's essentially a fundanmental issue here, isn't there? With schools. Because if it's just the kids of people who can't work at home going in, then the virus is spreading around those schools, who take it back home to their parents, who then go to work and spread it around work. 

Ironically it wouldn't be so bad if it was just the kids whose parents *could* work from home that had to go in.

I don't really see any solutions to this that people would consider "okay". It's not even an educational issue any more, it's a childcare issue. Even if you acknowledged that the kids weren't going to learn anything, what do you do with them? I've suggested before that we just move the school summer holiday to now, but even then it's not like NHS employees can take leave right now to look after their kids.

If a next step is needed, it probably needs to be something quite radical. Have only a few schools operating for kids of essential workers and make them boarding schools. Or come up with some way to do remote childcare... I dunno. It seems the whole thing breaks down when you have: parents have to to go work, kids can't be left alone, no way to supervise kids other than en masse which means them being in contact with other kids. 

The whole thing is incredibly complex and I dont think anyone knows the answer!!! Our team have been working through out doing home visits and crisis work! Admin and meetings completed at home via zoom!! We are probably down to 50% of us able to visit due to us having to self isolate due to contact with others at work! 

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If they're doing 200k a day that is a pretty good effort tbf.

1.4m a week is a good start especially compared to similar European countries but it needs ramped up even more. By autumn of this year nearly every adult in the country will either have been infected or vaccinated. It’s important that we maximise the numbers falling into the latter cohort. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

1.4m a week is a good start especially compared to similar European countries but it needs ramped up even more. By autumn of this year nearly every adult in the country will either have been infected or vaccinated. It’s important that we maximise the numbers falling into the latter cohort. 

UK, Italy, Denmark and Slovenia seem to have the best programs so far!

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Yup

I think it’s crazy that the government aren’t taking any responsibility for their approach here. They literally set the situation up for this to happen by reopening pretty much the whole country before Christmas and then allowing 70% to mix households at christmas. Then we get blamed for “not following lockdown rules” when in reality of the situation they left it way too late to lockdown and now the NHS has to suffer the consequences because of the government’s incompetence. I am fed up of any of them who gets up on that podium and if they limit exercise to once a week without actually mitigating where transmission is coming from that’s the final kick in the teeth for everyone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The sly Tory shift to putting the blame on the public for daring to do things like going for some milk or going for a walk, all while they enable non-secure, non-essential workplaces to stay open is a masterful piece of propaganda. All the media outlets are being complicit in this.

Yip

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The sly Tory shift to putting the blame on the public for daring to do things like going for some milk or going for a walk, all while they enable non-secure, non-essential workplaces to stay open is a masterful piece of propaganda. All the media outlets are being complicit in this.

Completely agree it’s getting sickening now

Does anyone know how we submit questions for the Boris press conference ? Perhaps we can all submit one in a similar vain and hopefully enough of us submit similar one will get pulled out ? I do think the shutting of the non essential stuff will have much better effect than stopping individuals going for a walk in the park 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, incident said:

If they can sufficiently limit the amount of people in store at any one time then the need for one-ways etc becomes less important as there will be more space in the aisles.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Does anyone know how we submit questions for the Boris press conference ? Perhaps we can all submit one in a similar vain and hopefully enough of us submit similar one will get pulled out ? I do think the shutting of the non essential stuff will have much better effect than stopping individuals going for a walk in the park 

what conditioner does he use?

According to Sky News: ''The new centres in Bristol, Surrey (Epsom), London, Newcastle, Manchester, Stevenage and Birmingham will have the capacity to vaccinate four people a minute.''

Also there are now 1200 vaccination sites in England alone according to the article. 

According to the Scottish Gov https://www.gov.scot/news/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-national-roll-out/ there are 1000 odd in Scotland too. Cba getting similar for Wales and NI but seems there will be at least 2000 sites UK wide.

I really do think if the supply is there then we could potentially hit 3mil maybe even more jags a week!

26 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Not even sure they are- many people take it at face value that "if you can't work from home" will be taken in good faith and it's not.

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

According to Sky News: ''The new centres in Bristol, Surrey (Epsom), London, Newcastle, Manchester, Stevenage and Birmingham will have the capacity to vaccinate four people a minute.''

Also there are now 1200 vaccination sites in England alone according to the article. 

According to the Scottish Gov https://www.gov.scot/news/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-national-roll-out/ there are 1000 odd in Scotland too. Cba getting similar for Wales and NI but seems there will be at least 2000 sites UK wide.

I really do think if the supply is there then we could potentially hit 3mil maybe even more jags a week!

Really good news 🙂 keep that coming ... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Really good news 🙂 keep that coming ... 

I'll give you one more seeing as I just read it on twitter:

''If 2million people are vaccinated already and another 1million plus are vaccinated over the next week, then 40% of the total mortality risk from covid should be eliminated within 3 weeks''.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'll give you one more seeing as I just read it on twitter:

''If 2million people are vaccinated already and another 1million plus are vaccinated over the next week, then 40% of the total mortality risk from covid should be eliminated within 3 weeks''.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! 

That’s an incredible stat. I knew that the mortality risk is heavily skewed towards the very old but I didn’t realise it was quite so dramatic. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s an incredible stat. I knew that the mortality risk is heavily skewed towards the very old but I didn’t realise it was quite so dramatic. 

Mortality risk is one thing, but need hospital numbers to come down dramatically.

Saw someone post a statistic a little while back around 80,000 + people still being in hospital since March who were between 18-60.

Over 80 was about 100,000.

Many people can survive COVID with hospital treatment.

Edited by MrBarry465

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Write it on a paper, put it in an envelope, and file it here:

BBC L W1 - Waste Paper Bin - Excite Display

It'll still be more constructive than if Boris actually gets the question and pretends to answer you.