When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, northernringo said:

What are the current hours?

Maybe 24 hours is unrealistic at this point while we vaccinate the very old but certainly we should aim for 24 hours when we are vaccinating the under 50s I think.

I think for the older generations we could certainly vaccinate from 5am - midnight though without any great issues.

This depends on what the bottle neck is - supply of the vaccine or ability to administer. If it’s the former doing it 24-7 slightly pointless.

Just now, st dan said:

The government clearly want to ease restrictions as much as possible, as soon as possible, for the sake of the economy, so it really is in their best interests (if not for people’s actual health) for them to really prioritise and ramp up vaccinations as much as possible. And credit to them, they seem to have this in hand so far. 

But they’ve got the vaccine program “in hand” while causing thousands of unnecessary deaths along the way? 

Yeah they are moving quickly, but what they have done is inexcusable. We will hit over 100k deaths in the next 3 weeks. I think in 1-2 weeks we could see daily death tolls of 1500-2000.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, poor use of resources. There's a limited number of people licenced to stick a needle in your arm, and so they need a constant flow of customers which they won't get at 4am.

Shame the vaccine can’t be administered orally. I know plenty of bartenders quite capable of giving lots of people shots at 4am. 

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

But they’ve got the vaccine program “in hand” while causing thousands of unnecessary deaths along the way? 

Yeah they are moving quickly, but what they have done is inexcusable. We will hit over 100k deaths in the next 3 weeks. I think in 1-2 weeks we could see daily death tolls of 1500-2000.

Yeah I agree, they’ve done well so far with the vaccinations but this doesn’t make up for everything else.

Hopefully the numbers from NYE won’t be bad!

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

i dont think anyone is doubting the fuckups so far .... but we do as humans need to look for some positives and some hope ..... and when we can we hold the government to account for its failures 

• Upvote 2

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

I’m not defending their previous actions at all, but the vaccination rollout was independent to all the mess they had created beforehand. That can all be quite rightly scrutinised in the enquiry in years to come, but for now I think acknowledging where some good work has clearly been done is allowed. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I agree, they’ve done well so far with the vaccinations but this doesn’t make up for everything else.

We also know immunity can take up to 3 weeks to build, so people who receive their jabs today aren’t protected for another period of time. I don’t think we will see hospital admissions start to come down for another 2-4 weeks.

Just now, st dan said:

I’m not defending their previous actions at all, but the vaccination rollout was independent to all the mess they had created beforehand. That can all be quite rightly scrutinised in the enquiry in years to come, but for now I think acknowledging where some good work has clearly been done is allowed. 

Yeah I completely agree it’s moving fast with the vaccines so far which is great, but it’s going to take time to improve the horrendous situation we are currently in

23 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I''d happily go at 4am, but I don't think it's going to increase overall capacity. The idea is fine and all, but it doesn't change the fact that the biggest constraints at the moment are the supply of the vaccine, and to a lesser extent the staff to deliver it or to support them (some of whom are volunteers who wouldn't want an overnight shift). Neither of those are helped by going to 24 hours.

Where I do think the rate could be increased is by creating some kind of "last minute" system to avoid doses/slots going to waste. There's (that I know of) 4 separate places delivering the vaccine that I could and would easily get to within 15 minutes notice. I can't help but think that there'd be a benefit in some kind of app which allows vaccination centres that have unused capacity on the day to offer it up first come first served even if it's to people not on the priority list. Especially if the alternative is wasted doses.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

When are we likely to see the NYE spike? I've not been following the stats that closely tbh - do we have an idea of when the peak is likely to be?

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn’t have to ‘make up’ for anything else though, the two are not interlinked and they aren’t going to get a free pass for their obvious failings. 

The vaccination scheme is a separate project, and they ordered large quantities of the available vaccines in advance, approved them quicker than anybody else in the world, administered the first jabs first in the world and have vaccinated 2.5m people in a number of weeks - with an already depleted NHS. And we currently are on track for their mid-February targets. This all points to a major success for this scheme in my opinion, and I don’t think there is anything wrong in acknowledging when a job has been done well. 

Obviously their previous failings in regards to lockdown timelines, track and trace etc are inexcusable. 

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

The government clearly want to ease restrictions as much as possible, as soon as possible, for the sake of the economy, so it really is in their best interests (if not for people’s actual health) for them to really prioritise and ramp up vaccinations as much as possible. And credit to them, they seem to have this in hand so far. 

yeah, every day in lockdown is a disaster for the economy...so putting all resources in getting vaccines done as quickly as possible is worth it for the sake of the economy...(and it saves lives).

Edited by steviewevie

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It doesn’t have to ‘make up’ for anything else though, the two are not interlinked and they aren’t going to get a free pass for their obvious failings. 

The vaccination scheme is a separate project, and they ordered large quantities of the available vaccines in advance, approved them quicker than anybody else in the world, administered the first jabs first in the world and have vaccinated 2.5m people in a number of weeks - with an already depleted NHS. And we currently are on track for their mid-February targets. This all points to a major success for this scheme in my opinion, and I don’t think there is anything wrong in acknowledging when a job has been done well. 

Obviously their previous failings in regards to lockdown timelines, track and trace etc are inexcusable. 

I reckon they will be forgiven by most people if life is back to normal by the summer.

10 minutes ago, Snerrick said:

When are we likely to see the NYE spike? I've not been following the stats that closely tbh - do we have an idea of when the peak is likely to be?

The number from NYE will be filtering through this week I think. I’m not sure on when we’ll be at the peak but Chris Whitty this morning said that we aren’t at it yet. 

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

I think a lot of other countries will start to ramp up soon as well and in the grand scheme a lot of Major european countries will see easing around similar times.

I dunno. France especially havent even agreed their vaccination strateg yet! and as i posted last night, there some massive issues with Germany getting a LOT more pfizer