When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, jparx said:

Yep! Aware I’m in a very fortunate situation, but it’s frustrating me being encouraged to go in to work on one side, then Chris Whitty saying how dire everything is and we need question ourselves every time we leave the house. Just need some strong and clear guidance which is not forthcoming from our govt.

You are right it does need better messaging for the government instead of the current working from home message which is quite woolly and open to businesses asking their staff to come in when they might not need to. I’m sure the majority aren’t doing it maliciously but if the message was made more clear then it would cut out the ambiguity.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

It blows my mind that supermarkets aren’t having to do the queuing outside stuff this time and severely limiting how many people enter the store. The amount of people in my local ASDA the last couple of times I’ve been had been insane and there has been many people either not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly both times.

For months it has been clear that, in supermarkets, social distancing has completely gone out of the window. People cram down aisles like nobodies business and have no respect or intention of staying the correct distance from others. 

If supermarkets adopt a 'maximum customers' policy then that would likely lead to long queuing, which would likely lead to people doing larger shops than just a few items to avoid multiple trips, which in turn leads to less contacts.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Does this mean a return of the one way systems that everyone ignores?

damn I can't read the article .... no doubt it will just mean that we need to offer masks at the door and have signs .... can anyone give a summary of the article ? hopefully a better way of enforcing .... maybe no mask no entry .... someone else needs to do your shopping ... like happened early on 

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

If supermarkets adopt a 'maximum customers' policy then that would likely lead to long queuing, which would likely lead to people doing larger shops than just a few items to avoid multiple trips, which in turn leads to less contacts.

Yes, during the first lockdown we always had to queue to enter and I didn't mind it really as we only went once a week. We still only go once a week, but the amount of people buying just one or two items in there now is far, far greater than people doing a big shop.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

my store capacity is now 1450 people ..... however the store manager can over rule and nobody is counting people in anyway .... when I returned after lockdown 1 the capacity was 350 and they were counting everyone in ....

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I mean there is that. We used to try to follow the one-way system only to find ourselves going against the grain of all those who didn't! Counterproductive if not enforced really.

pretty impossible to enforce tbh ... our store has 40 Aisles ... it needs to be done with the goodwill and public compliance unfortunately ..... our store setup often means home shoppers went  against the arrows ... so that becomes / became an excuse/reason   for customer non compliance 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes, during the first lockdown we always had to queue to enter and I didn't mind it really as we only went once a week. We still only go once a week, but the amount of people buying just one or two items in there now is far, far greater than people doing a big shop.

I have to admit I’m one of those people who do small shops. I’m not allowed to drive so I have to walk to the supermarket but I also walk right past it twice a day on my way to work and back so I tend to just grab a bit of fresh stuff as I need it instead of doing a full shop. My route to work is actually through the car park.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

pretty impossible to enforce tbh ... our store has 40 Aisles ... it needs to be done with the goodwill and public compliance unfortunately ..... our store setup often means home shoppers went  against the arrows ... so that becomes / became an excuse/reason   for customer non compliance 

Yeah appreciate that. They could definitely start restricting numbers allowed in, though.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I have to admit I’m one of those people who do small shops. I’m not allowed to drive so I have to walk to the supermarket but I also walk right past it twice a day on my way to work and back so I tend to just grab a bit of fresh stuff as I need it instead of doing a full shop. My route to work is actually through the car park.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to. We also don't drive, so can only do what we can carry but there are two of us (one waits outside to help carry).

It's more a case of maybe everyone thinking a bit more about each trip. Like people don't need to go every single day, but I'm sure some are.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah appreciate that. They could definitely start restricting numbers allowed in, though.

absolutely and that will have the desired effect on people cutting the number of trips ......  we do have regulars who we will see at least once per day .... if not twice ....

46 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

. Daily Mail has been posted on here loads of times too with no questions asked.

And as a Tory paper they will have access to briefings so it is likely they've been given a heads up on this.Definitely more likely to be correct than the Guardian

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

damn I can't read the article .... no doubt it will just mean that we need to offer masks at the door and have signs .... can anyone give a summary of the article ? hopefully a better way of enforcing .... maybe no mask no entry .... someone else needs to do your shopping ... like happened early on 

Hopefully some big security guards are hired- in some areas telling people to wear masks and refusing entry would surely inevitably lead to attacks and maybe even waiting for that staff member after the shift? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

absolutely and that will have the desired effect on people cutting the number of trips ......  we do have regulars who we will see at least once per day .... if not twice ....

Pre covid I would pop in early morning on the way to work to get my lunch and pop in on the way home to get something for tea. I avoid going that much now. My local Asda is closer to me and more convenient than the corner shop as well as significantly cheaper. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

And as a Tory paper they will have access to briefings so it is likely they've been given a heads up on this.Definitely more likely to be correct than the Guardian

Hopefully some big security guards are hired- in some areas telling people to wear masks and refusing entry would surely inevitably lead to attacks and maybe even waiting for that staff member after the shift? 

I guess that is possible yes .... its a difficult one 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I wish I actually knew about biotech. I just had an idea about a transmissible vaccine - a virus that kills viruses. So a harmless virus that still self replicates and will pass from person to person, and stimulates the immune system in such a way that it provides protection against other viruses.

I guess the issue is that, ultimately, you don't need that. Once supply is sorted, the biggest blocker to speed of vaccination is the fifteen minute observation period. If we removed that, the biggest blocker would be having enough competent people to do the injections. If you could make it an oral vaccine, that didn't need observation, then in any developed country it could be rolled out within days anyway. It wouldn't need to spread itself.

I guess there must be protocols for emergencies somewhat along these lines? As in, if we weren't currently limited by the vaccine available, and the numbers were even worse, there's an argument for just mailing everyone a shot and telling them to inject themselves?

26 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Good ! Went to my local Asda yesterday and its the 1st time I've walked out of somewhere since this started as I didnt feel safe. It was like a cattle market and people honestly didnt seem to give a flying fuck, the floor manager was speaking to security on a headset as one aisle I needed to go down must have had 20-30 people down it shoulder to shoulder and younger staff were visibly shaken by the scenes. I didnt even attempt it and just left. 

The worst thing about imposing tougher restrictions if that they are only going to penalise those who are complying with the current rules. 
Those who are breaking them will continue to do so unless we have armed guards on every street corner (which wouldn’t surprise me at this rate!!!)

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, thanks...yeah she is 90 so is due one, but I know her area were a bit behind elsewhere in getting the vaccine and they're starting properly this week. I'm guessing it will be the AZ one.

Which one it is will likely be down to where she goes - as best I can tell, most of the original Hospital hubs are mostly delivering Pfizer still, whereas all the CCG locations and the new vaccination centres are delivering Oxford/AZ as it doesn't have the storage requirements..

So there's not technically a choice and it's certainly not a guarantee, but if there's a strong preference for one of them for whatever reason you/she may be able to help stack the odds a bit.

1 minute ago, swede said:

Good ! Went to my local Asda yesterday and its the 1st time I've walked out of somewhere since this started as I didnt feel safe. It was like a cattle market and people honestly didnt seem to give a flying fuck, the floor manager was speaking to security on a headset as one aisle I needed to go down must have had 20-30 people down it shoulder to shoulder and younger staff were visibly shaken by the scenes. I didnt even attempt it and just left. 

I don’t go anywhere near the supermarket at the weekend. If you can avoid going at those times then you should. 

1 minute ago, swede said:

that unfortunately is how myself and many of my colleagues feel at least once per shift and some of them have walked out  .... have you got access to the article ? and can give us a summary ?

34 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've just registered for the NHS/St John Ambulance volunteer service, hopefully to help at vaccination centres if they need me. Just realised I could probably fit it around my work so why not? 

Thanks for the reminder. I'd already signed up through the Goodsam app, but hadn't heard so just signed up direct with my local NHS trust. Probably not going to have any work until end of March, so it's something to do. Put my festival stewarding experience to good use. Hopefully be a bit less eventful than a Downtown Boomtown night shift!