When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Sort of.

No surprise though that it is being shared everywhere as if it was released today! Sadly a big problem with social media, etc. these days is that people see something and share without any context.

Tbh,,, i think offering free IT training is a good thing

Apparently my kid is having a total meltdown after hearing GCSEs will go ahead. She now has mocks next month which she was told were really important, and then mock next term which she has been told are really important, and then the actual GCSEs in June. Bit worried how she's going to get on, she's super anxious as it is....

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Definitely. Starmer once again raises valid points and questions yet Boris just turns round with a diatribe attacking him. 

I can’t understand why the speaker doesn’t tell Johnson to actually answer the question?

Keir made valid comments and questions.

We are exactly the same - apart from Merseyside. Is that right?

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I can’t understand why the speaker doesn’t tell Johnson to actually answer the question?

Keir made valid comments and questions.

We are exactly the same - apart from Merseyside. Is that right?

Me neither. If you listen Johnson is very different with nearly every other MP than he is with Starmer. It’s a joke, answer the questions, work together and we might get somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

To answer your question from your other post - I've got a penguin classics version, translation by E. V. Rieu!

This year I have read The Silence of the Girls (The Illiad from the perspective of Briseis), The Song of Achilles (The Illiad from the perspective of Patroclus), Circe (The Odyssey from the perspective of Circe), The Children of Jocasta (the story of Oedipus and Antigone from the perspective of one of their daughters) and A Thousand Ships (The Illiad from the perspective of many different female characters). 

I've loved them all. Always loved Greek mythology anyway, so seems a good time to complete the set with the source material. 

It may or may not be a coincidence that my "happy place" after a bad day at work, for a large part of the last year, has been to play Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.. whilst listening to Lana Del Rey. 

But yes - we definitely need a bookclub, or at least a new thread! 😄

I've got the Robert Fagles translation; it has really pretty pages 🥺 

Seems a bit unusual that you've read all those related to the Iliad, but not the Iliad itself tbh! You'll have spoiled the story for yourself 😄. Have you read the Odyssey and Aeineid ? Also got those on my list.

I've just started playing AC Origins myself! Have got Odyssey to play after, and I'm kinda tempted to get Valhalla too. Looks like Canterbury is in it, which is special to me. Hoping Glastonbury will make an appearance too... would be nice to climb up the Tor, even if  just virtually. 😅

You can start the thread if ya like  👀

44 minutes ago, stuie said:

I thought Rishi was denying that he said people in the Arts should retrain.  

Turns out that’s what the bastards were planning all along. 

B8CCD4FE-10D3-43A3-9CD6-1676612A888F.jpeg

To be fair the Cyber First initiative has been running for around a year now so was conceived 'pre-Covid'.  The timing of this ad though is spectacularly ill thought out.

Someone from my company who is working from home started showing symptoms on Thursday and had a positive test result on Friday.

Test and trace called her saturday, Sunday and today. 

She was at our training suite doing an induction on Monday of last week so as government guidance states the people at the induction shouldn't have to self isolate as it wasn't within 48 hours of her showing symptoms.

The test and trace caller insisted on taking details of every pronged contact she'd had for the previous 14 days saying the rule was they would all have to self isolate as well!!

So yeah that 12 billion pound test and trace system doesn't even know its own rules...

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

To answer your question from your other post - I've got a penguin classics version, translation by E. V. Rieu!

This year I have read The Silence of the Girls (The Illiad from the perspective of Briseis), The Song of Achilles (The Illiad from the perspective of Patroclus), Circe (The Odyssey from the perspective of Circe), The Children of Jocasta (the story of Oedipus and Antigone from the perspective of one of their daughters) and A Thousand Ships (The Illiad from the perspective of many different female characters). 

I've loved them all. Always loved Greek mythology anyway, so seems a good time to complete the set with the source material. 

It may or may not be a coincidence that my "happy place" after a bad day at work, for a large part of the last year, has been to play Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.. whilst listening to Lana Del Rey. 

But yes - we definitely need a bookclub, or at least a new thread! 😄

Jeez, you're making me feel like a right thicko! 😄

I'm a Stephen King man myself & am now feeling totally inadequate! 🙂

9 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

To be fair the Cyber First initiative has been running for around a year now so was conceived 'pre-Covid'.  The timing of this ad though is spectacularly ill thought out.

In normal times it is a campaign that makes a lot of sense - for people like ballet dancers (and similar) their career doesn't last their whole lives, injuries can end it in an instant so having a backup plan in a growing, forward thinking industry like cyber security is sensible. Same way footballers are encouraged to get qualifications in case it all goes wrong.

Just as you say now may be the time to pause promoting it for a while..

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Sadly I have to agree with you.

I'll add that just about everyone I know that that are involved with the festival to a greater or lesser extent think the same.

I was working with someone last week who works closely with one of the festival's big cheeses and they said "No f***ing chance although Michael is admant that it's on" Those were his exact words.

We can but hope....and if it is on, what a party it will be.

Yep I think that's about spot on. I jut can't see things being under control in time for them to make the decision about the build etc. 

12 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Jeez, you're making me feel like a right thicko! 😄

I'm a Stephen King man myself & am now feeling totally inadequate! 🙂

Nonsense! You should only read what you enjoy 🙂 I've only read those books because the style and subject matter are right up my street. Nothing about in/adequacy about it.

I also enjoy Stephen King!

• Upvote 1