When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Can someone explain to me how the hospitals are now fuller than March across a lot of the country yet cases are not as high (allowing for the variance in testing capacity)?

Apparently they estimate that there were around 100,000 cases a day at the peak.

Its crossed my mind that perhaps less poorly people are being admitted to hospital now because we're better geared up for it and we're not in full on seat of pants reactive mode.

4 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Can someone explain to me how the hospitals are now fuller than March across a lot of the country yet cases are not as high (allowing for the variance in testing capacity)?

Apparently they estimate that there were around 100,000 cases a day at the peak.

A not insignificant proportion of the patients in hospital have been there for months (google Derek Draper for example) 

7 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Its crossed my mind that perhaps less poorly people are being admitted to hospital now because we're better geared up for it and we're not in full on seat of pants reactive mode.

My big concern is that soon the way to protect the NHS again will be to make people wait it out at home longer, leading to more deaths...

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Manchester going in tier 2, sounds like the government failed to reach a deal with local leaders to get it in tier 3 

I mean as much as everyone doesn't want restrictions, mostly because the government hasn't done enough to support businesses financially. - This is surely the wrong move. The deal was mostly in reference to Rishi Sunaks job scheme and how it doesn't go far enough. So tells you when asked to give more money the government will let people die at the drop of a hat. 

This is going to be a nightmare, and the gov are going to try and blame it on local leaders from now on.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

If it were to happen, I feel very sorry for those affected but I do feel slightly more confident about any resale...

it does seem likely that it will happen just on bbc news at 1 .... but then will the festival ? and yes ticket chances would probably improve 

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

I mean as much as everyone doesn't want restrictions, mostly because the government hasn't done enough to support businesses financially. - This is surely the wrong move. The deal was mostly in reference to Rishi Sunaks job scheme and how it doesn't go far enough. So tells you when asked to give more money the government will let people die at the drop of a hat. 

This is going to be a nightmare, and the gov are going to try and blame it on local leaders from now on.

Considering the state they've let the area get in they should've done what liverpool did and accept it while still campaigning for better support. Tier 2 clearly doesn't work in that area and now the local leadership have managed to absolve the government of all blame 

Personally considering they've gone so far up despite restrictions I don't think anything other than Wuhan style lockdown would stop the situation round there (same for Liverpool)

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

it does seem likely that it will happen just on bbc news at 1 .... but then will the festival ? and yes ticket chances would probably improve 

My "if it were to happen" is about the festival unfortunately. I have almost zero hope of that but would definitely get involved in any resale even if it wasnt 100% confirmed at that point 

30 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Perhaps because of the slower rate of increase now?

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

exams delayed by 3 weeks .... Thats gonna have an impact on Glastonbury isn't it ? 

Glastonbury isn't on until 2022.

Sorry, I don't want to panic anyone thinking it's been confirmed that it's moving again, but let's be realistic, we won't get society back to normal in the time we have left. 2022 is on, but next year looks very unlikely at the moment.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Glastonbury isn't on until 2022.

Sorry, I don't want to panic anyone thinking it's been confirmed that it's moving again, but let's be realistic, we won't get society back to normal in the time we have left. 2022 is on, but next year looks very unlikely at the moment.

im less hopefull but need a light at the end of the tunnel to see me through the dark days of winter so hold out a slight bit of hope as  much as i can 

from another website but i kinda agree with this

I must say i'm getting a bit fed up/depressed reading stories like this in the Evening Standard

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-coronavirus-cases-latest-figures-tier-two-lockdown-a4568481.html

Every day there is a new story (led by comments from the Mayor's office) stating how London numbers are "rising alarmingly" and "new harsh London wide restrictions" are inevitable. And then on almost every occasion the story doesn't justify the hype - whether it be the suggestions about dodgy numbers to do with University students, or, in this case the possibility that local authorities simply taking tough localised action targeting places where rules are being blatantly flouted has been sufficient to bring case numbers down.

The message - we don't have to have crude national measures to get this under control, and relying on individuals to follow "guidance", (but when enforcement of this is almost non-existent) just some tough local measures homing in on problem sites where "super spreader" events are likely to take place. Reward the businesses and individuals that are taking their responsibilities seriously, and go in hard on those that don't.

There's enough evidence whether here or abroad that we can control this thing without completely shutting down the economy. So lets do it.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

and what happens when NHS gets overwhelmed?

This is something that also bugs me- all those people out clapping the nhs and saying how heroic the people that work for the NHS are, seem to be suddenly switching to completely throwing them under the bus. 

March was hellish for a lot of nhs staff, the thought of inflicting something even worse on them indefinitely because we found a few months of lockdown too hard doesn't strike me as fair

Yep, I think a lot of people were thinking today would at least be an indication of what measures would be in place and where for the rest of the year, but if Manchester doesn't even get put in tier 3, then this will just be faffing about, wasting time, money and lives for another few weeks until they actually take action. 

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've resigned myself to no festival next year so if there is you can 100% guarantee i'll be naked crowd surfing during Mik Artistik at the CN bandstand on the Wednesday!

Remind me in 8 months. No backing out of this now even if it’s raining. 

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

from another website but i kinda agree with this

I must say i'm getting a bit fed up/depressed reading stories like this in the Evening Standard

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-coronavirus-cases-latest-figures-tier-two-lockdown-a4568481.html

Every day there is a new story (led by comments from the Mayor's office) stating how London numbers are "rising alarmingly" and "new harsh London wide restrictions" are inevitable. And then on almost every occasion the story doesn't justify the hype - whether it be the suggestions about dodgy numbers to do with University students, or, in this case the possibility that local authorities simply taking tough localised action targeting places where rules are being blatantly flouted has been sufficient to bring case numbers down.

The message - we don't have to have crude national measures to get this under control, and relying on individuals to follow "guidance", (but when enforcement of this is almost non-existent) just some tough local measures homing in on problem sites where "super spreader" events are likely to take place. Reward the businesses and individuals that are taking their responsibilities seriously, and go in hard on those that don't.

There's enough evidence whether here or abroad that we can control this thing without completely shutting down the economy. So lets do it.

Sadiq Khan has been a total disgrace recently. I am tempted to draw a cock and balls on my ballot sheet for London mayor.