Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I may have jumped the gun on that one, I get a bit heated when I think people are trying to tell me what I should and shouldn’t be eating.

the issue with people who kill endangered species is a financial one, endangered species tend to have a high value, you are never going to stop the, by just making it illegal, you have to give them an alternative. Tourism has a massive affect on this, turn the poachers into tour guides.

Yes and no. Anyway, we’re way off topic now. CANCEL EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY THOSE PANGOLIN FUCKERS 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It wasn’t just the tastiness that doomed the turtles. They were the perfect food source for long ocean voyages. They didn’t need much in the way of looking after or food and water which meant the crew could have fresh meat when they were a long way from land.  

Well that tortoise a lot 

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Smeble said:

If it gets cancelled last minute I reckon a large proportion of people will just turn up anyway, ok so no acts will be there but there will be enough acoustic guitars and bongos for there to be a bit of atmosphere, we will just need to storm the gates.

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this sort of selfish attitude towards the situation that is likely to result in the virus spreading.

IF it reaches a point where Glastonbury (& other major events) are cancelled it will be for a very genuine reason due to the risk of the virus spreading. Risking the lives of vulnerable people so you can sit in a field for a few days getting pissed playing the bongos would be a bit of a dick move in those circumstances. 

Yeah much much safer to hang around in London, do a bit of shopping at Westfield and get the tube to work than play the bongos with a couple of hundred people up the Tor 🙄

Sorry, I just don’t get this! 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Smeble said:

‘We are the only ones who should know better?’What the #£&* are you on about? We are omnivores, we as a species eat meat, that’s what got us out of the trees. We eat far too much of it, but I’m sure as hell not going to feel guilty about being a predator. 

That’s another argument entirely. Nothing about our biological make up suggest we are designed to eat meat, we just choose to.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I will say this I have zero faith in the UK Government here. Any changes they enforce on the country won’t be felt by them and their friends. They’ll look to protect their own interests.

Can’t help but agree. Without getting too political a lot of their policies haven’t exactly looked after the elderly/vulnerable over the last few years so I can’t see their treatment of them changing massively when it comes to Coronavirus either tbh.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Can’t help but agree. Without getting too political a lot of their policies haven’t exactly looked after the elderly/vulnerable over the last few years so I can’t see their treatment of them changing massively when it comes to Coronavirus either tbh.

Of course it won’t, you have to look that BJ was happy to wait over a weekend before chairing COBRA. I imagine they are looking at the slightest opportunity to cancel events like Glastonbury whilst maintaining double standards for others.

genuine question. Why are NHS 111 working on the basis that if you have not been to an affected area, and you are not sure if you have been in contact with someone linked to the virus, in theory you get put to the bottom of the pile of the priority line.

i don’t know whether the media is telling porkies but it doesn’t seem like much is being done to investigate cases of community spread?

Edited by Matt42

45 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this sort of selfish attitude towards the situation that is likely to result in the virus spreading.

IF it reaches a point where Glastonbury (& other major events) are cancelled it will be for a very genuine reason due to the risk of the virus spreading. Risking the lives of vulnerable people so you can sit in a field for a few days getting pissed playing the bongos would be a bit of a dick move in those circumstances. 

So...what....the streets should remain empty, no congregations of more than 2 or 3 people, how about curfews? Marshall law? We could go the route of China and shut the streets but it just isn't going to happen in the West.

People can still take sensible precautions and get together. 

Edit: Of course if it's gone supersonic by June this would have to be re-evaluated!

Edited by Gilb
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

genuine question. Why are NHS 111 working on the basis that if you have not been to an affected area, and you are not sure if you have been in contact with someone linked to the virus, in theory you get put to the bottom of the pile of the priority line.

i don’t know whether the media is telling porkies but it doesn’t seem like much is being done to investigate cases of community spread?

Easier to blame people coming into the country.

44 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yeah much much safer to hang around in London, do a bit of shopping at Westfield and get the tube to work than play the bongos with a couple of hundred people up the Tor 🙄

Sorry, I just don’t get this! 

I agree. A few hundred turning up is not the same as quarter of a million descending on the place.

3 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Just say the caseS double every 2 days, in 30 days you could have over 1.6 million people infected.

Evidence from the Chinese outbreak before coming under control was that the numbers doubled every 4-5 days.  I'd expect similar outcome here, maybe lower, as much as doubling once every 7-10 if we're lucky.  

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I would assume because the majority of UK cases are from affected zone travellers and “first contact” with them. At this stage it’s a better use of resources to work along that line of enquiry than investigating every person with a runny nose calling the hotline. 

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

I may have jumped the gun on that one, I get a bit heated when I think people are trying to tell me what I should and shouldn’t be eating.

the issue with people who kill endangered species is a financial one, endangered species tend to have a high value, you are never going to stop the, by just making it illegal, you have to give them an alternative. Tourism has a massive affect on this, turn the poachers into tour guides.

You should try some of this humble pie... it’s delicious.....

👀

There’s one person in my local area with the virus. My boss lives in the same town as them and she was saying there’s a massive witch hunt in progress as they are desperate to find out who it is with the virus. 

Obviously they are staying quiet otherwise they risk being at the mercy of a full social media smear campaign albeit on a local level but the attitude of some of the local posters is extreme. They’re acting as if everyone is going to die if this person isn’t named.  

I really hate social media sometimes.