Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

27 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just reading a bit more about how these viruses originated, from bats to another animal to humans. It’s all down to Chinese wet markets and them keeping together and eating all the animals under the sun. They don’t know the intermediary animal yet, but one theory is the pangolin. It’s illegal to hunt and eat the pangolin in China, yet they still insist on doing it. I’m a vegetarian so don’t eat any meat, but why they insist on eating so many different animals (basically you name it, they eat it) and worse still, ones that are actually illegal to eat is totally beyond me.

But it's not the eating exotic animals that's the problem. It's the keeping, killing and eating them in the same market that's the problem. These places have been the source of disease transfer in the past from chickens and pigs there is no need to be up in arms about pangolins to think these places are a problem.

34 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

"Travellers from countries with severe coronavirus outbreaks who arrive in some parts of China will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine, state media say.

Travellers from the virus hotspots of South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy arriving in the capital will have to be isolated, a Beijing official has said."

What a time to be alive :)

Ohh how the tables have turned 

49 minutes ago, Gilb said:

As this escalates I really do think this has high probability.

Not talking about the festival die-hards, but the hipsters and bucket-listers who insist on having showers, clean toilets and ask about the quality restaurants on-site (you know the type I mean!). 

I doubt those unwilling to attend without those luxuries would want to mingle with Mrs Covid-19 and her offspring.

To be honest, that crowd flaking out could be enough to give the diehard crowd who miss out a better chance.

I know the lot you mean well. I'm still fuming about that post somewhere among these hallowed pages about that girl and her friends who went for Wednesday overnight and left Thursday afternoon as they had a birthday or some bullshit that weekend but went just to ay they had been. Less of that type of ass-hattery please, thanks.

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Assuming it's not cancelled, I'd expect more tickets to be put back in the pot (and less demand on resale day) than the last few festivals.  Whether this translates to a noticeably easier sale, I suspect not.

As much as the post above would take some appreciated pressure off I do agree with you too that demand could remain high enough such that the drop would be imperceivable. A Beaver can hope (...f*ck me I really want to change my username...)

19 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But it's not the eating exotic animals that's the problem. It's the keeping, killing and eating them in the same market that's the problem. These places have been the source of disease transfer in the past from chickens and pigs there is no need to be up in arms about pangolins to think these places are a problem.

My point is, it’s spread from bats to other unknown seemingly random animals, surely the more animals you keep together and then eat the greater the risk of transmitting the disease to humans? And if you insist on eating animals that are illegal to eat (be that the pangolin, or any other animal) then you completely and pointlessly increase the risk even further.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My point is, it’s spread from bats to other unknown seemingly random animals, surely the more animals you keep together and then eat the greater the risk of transmitting the disease to humans? And if you insist on eating animals that are illegal to eat (be that the pangolin, or any other animal) then you completely and pointlessly increase the risk even further.

Even if it were just chickens then these unsanitary conditions would still be a risk, if the places were cleaned up and made to confirm to western safety standards it wouldn't be a problem even if they are eating pangolin, panda or unicorn.

11 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

What the fuck is a Pangolin, and why is it insisting on ruining my year?

See above picture, and it is how they get their kicks. Well know how they chuckle at other animals misfortunes.

If it is cancelled you will see them on the web cam pointing laughing and doing Taylor Swift impressions.

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Even if it were just chickens then these unsanitary conditions would still be a risk, if the places were cleaned up and made to confirm to western safety standards it wouldn't be a problem even if they are eating pangolin, panda or unicorn.

I agree completely, but eating every animal under the sun and then keeping them together also greatly increases the chances. 

Sorry if this has already been posted or the info sourced elsewhere but I can't be arsed working my way through this thread. Some form of official statement from the festival. 

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/glastonbury-2020-coronavirus-festival-nhs-3910761.amp?__twitter_impression=true

On 2/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, Jimbojam said:

Should we be worried about the Corona Virus and Glastonbury? I know it is still early doors yet, but what happens if more people get infected over the coming months in the UK, will they really let Glasto happen? all the people in close contact with each other will not be good if the virus is spreading, surely the Authorities will stop it. 

Only if they play the pyramid stage

Statement from Glastonbury via clickbait pop-up hell Somerset Live:

Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year's event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

"We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.

"With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.”

More than 200,000 people are expected to travel to Pilton in Somerset for the five-day event, which takes place from Wednesday, June 24 to Sunday, June 28, 2020.

Taylor Swift and Paul McCartney have already been announced as headliners for Glastonbury Festival 2020.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year's event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

"We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.

"With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.”

More than 200,000 people are expected to travel to Pilton in Somerset for the five-day event, which takes place from Wednesday, June 24 to Sunday, June 28, 2020.

Taylor Swift and Paul McCartney have already been announced as headliners for Glastonbury Festival 2020.

Get the IT'S HAPPENING!!! gif out.

1 hour ago, Beaver89 said:

I know the lot you mean well. I'm still fuming about that post somewhere among these hallowed pages about that girl and her friends who went for Wednesday overnight and left Thursday afternoon as they had a birthday or some bullshit that weekend but went just to ay they had been. Less of that type of ass-hattery please, thanks.

That may have been my post? Saw my friend post a picture by the Glasto sign on the Wednesday on her Instagram so I text to ask if she fancied seeing an act together over the weekend and she replied they were going on Thursday afternoon but came to "get the Glasto experience" as they were given free hospitality tickets. My head nearly fell clean off when I got that text.

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's a nothing statement. What else are they expected to say. The fest remains on until circumstances change, if they ever do. Keep the faith 🤞

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

It's a nothing statement. What else are they expected to say. The fest remains on until circumstances change, if they ever do. Keep the faith 🤞

For me it's just saying what we all think and not ensuring anything. 

Edited by AlexOvd

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

That may have been my post? Saw my friend post a picture by the Glasto sign on the Wednesday on her Instagram so I text to ask if she fancied seeing an act together over the weekend and she replied they were going on Thursday afternoon but came to "get the Glasto experience" as they were given free hospitality tickets. My head nearly fell clean off when I got that text.

That's the one! I feel bad now, I'm sure your friend is great but that kind of attitude toward things confuses me wherever it happens and when the opportunity cost is this high makes me angry.

I'd forgotten the VIP detail - which likely means they didn't come from the general pool of tickets and maybe no one else will have used them but chances are that some other lucky folk could have had them for the whole weekend.

So now that there's an official statement from Glastonbury, we should be looking forward to the festival. Everyone who says there's absolutely no way have just been proven wrong. Feeling good now that the festival has made a statement.

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

4 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

For me it's just saying what we all think and not ensuring anything. 

Sure, it’s not that exciting but it’s different to the guys here that were saying yesterday that it’s categorically not going to happen, like they know stuff the festival and authorities don’t.