Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

24 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

If they cancel Glastonbury, any major live event, festival, gathering will be cancelled. They'll also more than likely close down the Tube network which hosts 2 million people a day. How long do all these things get stopped for? When these things stop, where does everyone go? Do they leave the country to go on holiday? Nope airports are closed/other countries are refusing to let people in. Cool lets all go down the pub 'oh I caught it at the pub anyway'.

You're just as likely to get it on public transport, in the supermarket, at work.The government wont shut down the country. All they can do is let people know its out there, where it is and how serious it is for those who are more at risk. 

Big problem is those at risk can't mitigate that risk if normal life continues. Other people will catch it and give it to them - family members, caregivers etc. And if they're young with pre existing conditions they need to carry on working because everyone else is. 

It's fine people not going to events etc but if life goes on their life goes on too.

This whole "it's going to spread anyway let's try to push it further ahead to warm weather" basically throws a lot of vulnerable people under the bus. It's probably right for economy etc but seems cruel especially when you think about elderly relatives and vulnerable people you know 

The tube to an extent is an essential requirement to keep London functioning and therefore keeping it open is an unavoidable risk.  As is public transport elsewhere. I can see these being kept open in all but the most extreme of circumstances.  Concerts, sports fixtures, festivals are non essential luxuries and therefore an avoidable risk. For that reason I can see them being cancelled. 

Sigh, I do wish this thread didn’t exist. Regardless of whether the festival is cancelled or not part of the fun is the run up.  This is the ultimate buzz kill, is there a way to ignore a thread (much like I ignore the outside world when I’m in Glastonbury)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Not to mention the medical resources available to the festival and potential demands of the surrounding areas, are the medics going to be available or are they going to be already allocated elsewhere, are they going to risk exposure of medics 'n plod if things are kicking off?

I've got a ticket and will be gutted if the festival is cancelled but unless things start to change significantly with regards to the potential number of cases and associated demands then I reckon this year's a goner.

It's not a guarantee. I believe Glastonbury will have the required resources, I don't personally see that as being an issue.

As I said before, we can't be certain it's cancelled when the festival is still preparing and expecting it to happen.

26 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Whilst our cousins in the animal kingdom always rely on the scientific method before doing anything?

Eh?? Animals rely on instinct, the instinct to survive and thus hunt so they can eat and stay alive. Last time I watched a David Attenborough programme I didn’t see a lion grinding up Pangolin and selling it to his mates to cure a migraine.

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

It's not a guarantee. I believe Glastonbury will have the required resources, I don't personally see that as being an issue.

As I said before, we can't be certain it's cancelled when the festival is still preparing and expecting it to happen.

Id see the policing the biggest resourcing issue to sort. 

9 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

NHS has just declared Coronavirus Level 4 emergency incident, the highest level as more cases have surfaced, 12 more

It has been Level 4 since January. The wording of their tweet is a bit weird, but here it is 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

66 million people in the UK and we've got 51 confirmed cases of coronavirus.

Overreaction much?

Just say the caseS double every 2 days, in 30 days you could have over 1.6 million people infected, and when the hospitals become overwhelmed it could increase faster, and death rate could go up, as there’s not enough equipment to help everyone, I’m not too bothered about it yet but that’s just an idea, China’s case were increasing  at a similar rate at one point

Edited by waynewdk

10 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Overreaction much?

I wish I could like this more than once.

There’s certain people on here who lit the beacons of Gondor weeks ago, and fail to say at least anything remotely positive on the outlook. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Overreaction much?

Those 51 will turn into a few hundred within a week and then turn to 1000’s and so on. 

Unless you lock yourself away from the outside world for the next couple of months it’s highly likely you will come into contact with someone with the virus. 

It may not be as severe as it looks, there will be a lot of mild cases not being reported which means the death rate is being skewed massively. Anyone in an at risk group isn’t going to have a good time with it but for the vast majority of us we’ll probably have a week or two off work with it at the most and feel crap like we do with any flu. 

The best thing any of us can do is try and contain ourselves as much as possible. Try not to spread our germs around. 
Also we shouldn’t overreact too much and try to not to overburden the NHS, they will be getting stressed to breaking point, running to the doctors because you’ve got a cough and a temperature when it’s only a mild case will only add to their already massive workload. 

Let them focus on the high risk groups, the stats show that the younger generations are more resistant to the virus so unless you’re in a high risk group try and deal with it yourself like you would with any dose of the flu. 

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Overreaction much?

South Korea had only 30 cases around 10 days ago. Now we’ll over 5000. We’re on that trajectory. 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Eh?? Animals rely on instinct, the instinct to survive and thus hunt so they can eat and stay alive. Last time I watched a David Attenborough programme I didn’t see a lion grinding up Pangolin and selling it to his mates to cure a migraine.

Sorry I'm just mucking about, I just had the amusing image of wolves in lab coats. I get that it's the needless killing that you were comparing with the animals and the fact it was unscientific was just proof it was needless but you could read it as saying animals are more scientific than we are.

At the moment we’re in the “containment” phase....but things aren’t getting cancelled, transport isn’t in lockdown, schools aren’t shut. 

By the end of June, either it’ll have been “contained” or it’ll have spread to the extent that nothing will make a difference anymore. 

if the latter happens, then cancelling Glastonbury isn’t going to change anything. 

3 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

At the moment we’re in the “containment” phase....but things aren’t getting cancelled, transport isn’t in lockdown, schools aren’t shut. 

By the end of June, either it’ll have been “contained” or it’ll have spread to the extent that nothing will make a difference anymore. 

if the latter happens, then cancelling Glastonbury isn’t going to change anything. 

This is a good point, indeed. 

23 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Actually availability of medical resources will be a big issue for the fest if an outbreak takes hold. When government announce plans to recall retired doctors and nurses it signifies they expect a demand could rise very significantly.

As of today the festival is not cancelled. There has been no reason to do so, either in the assessment of the festival organisers or by government acting on the advice of health professionals. Hence the fest will continue to prepare. This could change at any point going forward if the outbreak worsens.

39 minutes ago, Splatt said:

The tube to an extent is an essential requirement to keep London functioning and therefore keeping it open is an unavoidable risk.  As is public transport elsewhere. I can see these being kept open in all but the most extreme of circumstances.  Concerts, sports fixtures, festivals are non essential luxuries and therefore an avoidable risk. For that reason I can see them being cancelled. 

Of course festivals are not necessary. But im sure the chance of you getting it after a week worth of tube travel in June when if what we're thinking will close Glastonbury so thousands of people is not too far off than being at Glastonbury. 

57 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Sigh, I do wish this thread didn’t exist. Regardless of whether the festival is cancelled or not part of the fun is the run up.  This is the ultimate buzz kill, is there a way to ignore a thread (much like I ignore the outside world when I’m in Glastonbury)

Guessing this thread will fade away when we get an announcement. 

Charm x