Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, TownesMR said:

So now that there's an official statement from Glastonbury, we should be looking forward to the festival. Everyone who says there's absolutely no way have just been proven wrong. Feeling good now that the festival has made a statement.

:) good to see you being reassured 

4 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

The article says literally nothing.

I don't know if it says nothing, it's good to know that they're going to take steps required to work for the festival still happening, with cancellation being the last option.

11 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I don't know if it says nothing, it's good to know that they're going to take steps required to work for the festival still happening, with cancellation being the last option.

Realistically cancellation is always going to be the last option and to be honest the only reason that I can see Glastonbury doing it is because they are forced to (e.g. by the government) and given the economy is already about to be fucked because of Brexit the last thing we need is everyone forced to stay at home and nobody spending money all summer - it wouldn’t just be Glastonbury affected but every single festival, outdoor/stadium gig, a lot of indoor ones, Wimbledon, the London Marathon, the Euros... etc etc etc down to visiting tourist places like beaches/piers, theme parks etc. We’d be straight into another recession.

What is more likely to happen is that the companies running such events may be forced to offer refunds to people who are in at risk groups (underlying health conditions, elderly etc), and those people may be advised to avoid large public gatherings. 

Edited by JoBalls
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Realistically cancellation is always going to be the last option and to be honest the only reason that I can see Glastonbury doing it is because they are forced to (e.g. by the government) and given the economy is already about to be fucked because of Brexit the last thing we need is everyone forced to stay at home and nobody spending money all summer - it wouldn’t just be Glastonbury affected but every single festival, outdoor/stadium gig, a lot of indoor ones, Wimbledon, the London Marathon, the Euros... etc etc etc down to visiting tourist places like beaches/piers, theme parks etc. We’d be straight into another recession.

What is more likely to happen is that the companies running such events may be forced to offer refunds to people who are in at risk groups (underlying health conditions, elderly etc), and those people may be advised to avoid large public gatherings. 

This guy gets it!

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Even if it were just chickens then these unsanitary conditions would still be a risk, if the places were cleaned up and made to confirm to western safety standards it wouldn't be a problem even if they are eating pangolin, panda or unicorn.

Sort of true, yes, it might not matter. There are at least two different debates being conflated in all this stuff (not by you McShed), which affect these discussions: 

1) unsanitary animal husbandry, slaughter, and eating of domesticated animals in close proximity 

2) Ethical and disease concerns over the eating of very rare wild animals (we eat domesticated animals partly because the disease risk is lower than from unstudied  wild species, like bats and pangolins) 

In all this there is a broader animal rights discussion that objects to dogs being burnt and skinned alive and so on. Clearly UK factory farms also aren’t nice places to spend your days before waiting for the chop... So probably some truth and some hypocrisy in the wider scheme. 

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

What the fuck is a Pangolin, and why is it insisting on ruining my year?

It's sort of like an anteater, a bit like my elephant impression, sadly.

Edited by Spindles

I wonder if they are like galapagos turtles, a creature too delicious to live.  I've always been kind of amused that even Darwin was like, "fuck it, I know we're only a few weeks from home but I could murder some turtle soup"

Edited by Spindles

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I wonder if they are like galapagos turtles, a creature too delicious to live.  I've always been kind of amused that even Darwin was like, "fuck it, I know we're only a few weeks from home but I could murder some turtle soup"

It wasn’t just the tastiness that doomed the turtles. They were the perfect food source for long ocean voyages. They didn’t need much in the way of looking after or food and water which meant the crew could have fresh meat when they were a long way from land.  

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It wasn’t just the tastiness that doomed the turtles. They were the perfect food source for long ocean voyages. They didn’t need much in the way of looking after or food and water which meant the crew could have fresh meat when they were a long way from land.  

everyday is a school day. :) 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Unfortunately what makes them really well protected from lions (their ability to roll up into essentially an armoured ball) makes them super easy for poachers to just pick up. They are essentially defenceless against humans if humans can find them.

I really like pangolins.

We really are the absolute worst aren't we?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

We really are the absolute worst aren't we?

Lots of animals eat other animals, and we aren’t the only ones that kill for fun and we aren’t the only ones that only take specific parts leaving the rest. Unfortunately we are very good at it and we are abundant, that’s the issue.

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Lots of animals eat other animals, and we aren’t the only ones that kill for fun and we aren’t the only ones that only take specific parts leaving the rest. Unfortunately we are very good at it and we are abundant, that’s the issue.

I’m pretty sure we’re the only ones who kill other animals and then sell them as medicine, based on some mumbo jumbo witchcraft nonsense that has absolutely no scientific proof to work, though.

59 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

And once you’ve eaten it you are left with a lovely fruit bowl😁

• Upvote 1