Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Lots of animals eat other animals, and we aren’t the only ones that kill for fun and we aren’t the only ones that only take specific parts leaving the rest. Unfortunately we are very good at it and we are abundant, that’s the issue.

We are the only ones who should know better though. Animal A doesn't know animal B is going extinct, they are just predator and prey. 

My main concern is that there will be a mandatory two week quarantine for those flying in from overseas, as I will be, and I'll have to book an earlier flight just to be released in time for Glasto

1 minute ago, nicnzl said:

My main concern is that there will be a mandatory two week quarantine for those flying in from overseas, as I will be, and I'll have to book an earlier flight just to be released in time for Glasto

I see those sort of restrictions being very unlikely for the UK. Maybe only for people flying in from very affected areas like China. It would be a waste of resources to quarantine people coming from areas that aren't overly affected.

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I see those sort of restrictions being very unlikely for the UK. Maybe only for people flying in from very affected areas like China. It would be a waste of resources to quarantine people coming from areas that aren't overly affected.

The problem with coming from NZ is I have to transit somewhere. At the moment that is via Doha and a deliberate decision to avoid Asia.  Hopefully transiting just through airports will be fine.  I think NZ will be able to contain it somewhat being a last stop destination for world travellers.

4 minutes ago, nicnzl said:

A quarantine field with bar and catering just outside the fence . Sorted. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

A quarantine field with bar and catering just outside the fence . Sorted. 

If this were the case, let's extend it to a one month quarantine beforehand just to be safe

6 minutes ago, nicnzl said:

The problem with coming from NZ is I have to transit somewhere. At the moment that is via Doha and a deliberate decision to avoid Asia.  Hopefully transiting just through airports will be fine.  I think NZ will be able to contain it somewhat being a last stop destination for world travellers.

Honestly, I think if restrictions on travellers are that strict, Glastonbury won't take place at all. 

However, I think the best news we have to go on currently is that Glastonbury is being planned to still take place and it seems likely. We are still months away.

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

No we are not. Stop causing people to panic unnecessarily. 

Based on what? I'd say its pretty likely we are on a similar trajectory just as Italy was. Why would the UK be any different? 

Downplaying it is just as dangerous. People need to realise the seriousness of this to take proper precautions and prevent deaths in the elderly 

Just now, Rex2 said:

Based on what? I'd say its pretty likely we are on a similar trajectory just as Italy was. Why would the UK be any different? 

Downplaying it is just as dangerous. People need to realise the seriousness of this to take proper precautions and prevent deaths in the elderly 

Based on the current figures, it’s clear we aren’t on the same trajectory. By all means take precautions and be prepared but to say we are in the same boat as S Korea, just look at the updates there’s been. Some people are being irresponsible by all this hyperbole.

23 minutes ago, nicnzl said:

We are the only ones who should know better though. Animal A doesn't know animal B is going extinct, they are just predator and prey. 

‘We are the only ones who should know better?’What the #£&* are you on about? We are omnivores, we as a species eat meat, that’s what got us out of the trees. We eat far too much of it, but I’m sure as hell not going to feel guilty about being a predator. 

• Downvote 6

1 hour ago, TownesMR said:

It has been Level 4 since January. The wording of their tweet is a bit weird, but here it is 

Hang on, so it was ramped up to Level 4 in January? But this thread wasn’t started until 3rd February. What on earth were we thinking?

1 hour ago, Splatt said:

South Korea had only 30 cases around 10 days ago. Now we’ll over 5000. We’re on that trajectory. 

Oh give it a rest mate... you are worse than Sky News 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

That's the one! I feel bad now, I'm sure your friend is great but that kind of attitude toward things confuses me wherever it happens and when the opportunity cost is this high makes me angry.

I'd forgotten the VIP detail - which likely means they didn't come from the general pool of tickets and maybe no one else will have used them but chances are that some other lucky folk could have had them for the whole weekend.

Haha don’t feel bad! I couldn’t believe it myself, blew my mind.

Not sure why it annoyed me when she said “still got the Glasto experience though”.

YOUWHAT?! HOW?!

11 minutes ago, Smeble said:

‘We are the only ones who should know better?’What the #£&* are you on about? We are omnivores, we as a species eat meat, that’s what got us out of the trees. We eat far too much of it, but I’m sure as hell not going to feel guilty about being a predator. 

He’s not saying we shouldn’t eat meat. He’s saying we shouldn’t eat species we know we are pushing to extinction.

If it gets cancelled last minute I reckon a large proportion of people will just turn up anyway, ok so no acts will be there but there will be enough acoustic guitars and bongos for there to be a bit of atmosphere, we will just need to storm the gates.

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

He’s not saying we shouldn’t eat meat. He’s saying we shouldn’t eat species we know we are pushing to extinction.

I may have jumped the gun on that one, I get a bit heated when I think people are trying to tell me what I should and shouldn’t be eating.

the issue with people who kill endangered species is a financial one, endangered species tend to have a high value, you are never going to stop the, by just making it illegal, you have to give them an alternative. Tourism has a massive affect on this, turn the poachers into tour guides.

Edited by Smeble

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

If it gets cancelled last minute I reckon a large proportion of people will just turn up anyway, ok so no acts will be there but there will be enough acoustic guitars and bongos for there to be a bit of atmosphere, we will just need to storm the gates.

It's this sort of selfish attitude towards the situation that is likely to result in the virus spreading.

IF it reaches a point where Glastonbury (& other major events) are cancelled it will be for a very genuine reason due to the risk of the virus spreading. Risking the lives of vulnerable people so you can sit in a field for a few days getting pissed playing the bongos would be a bit of a dick move in those circumstances. 

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this sort of selfish attitude towards the situation that is likely to result in the virus spreading.

IF it reaches a point where Glastonbury (& other major events) are cancelled it will be for a very genuine reason due to the risk of the virus spreading. Risking the lives of vulnerable people so you can sit in a field for a few days getting pissed playing the bongos would be a bit of a dick move in those circumstances. 

Leave the ferkin' bongos out at least !

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Humans shouldn't fucking go hunting endangered animals or other animals for merely sport or vanity.  I'm not saying don't eat meat.

• Upvote 1