Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It's true, bread doesn't keep but flour does, for months, and you can use that to keep making bread.

However, it takes a surprising amount of flour to make bread so bags of flour still aren't going to last that long. If you were tying to survive some kind of nuclear winter or zombie apocalypse it'd be pointless as you also need running water and a functioning oven. You want pasta, rice and lots of tinned goods.

Fair enough. Still need water for the first two of those though!

1 minute ago, sirjonnyp said:

I should have said - the bread flour is in a separate aisle in Woolos - and there was plenty of it. I bake my own, but I'm not sure the smug satisfaction that I get from it would keep me going for weeks on end!

What's your recipe ?

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Actually, not to be that guy, but someone at work commented that flour and yeast would be the best things to buy as you could make shitloads of bread... as opposed to cans which are bulky and take up space.

Living in a a one bed flat in London I don't really have the room to panic buy even if I wanted to! 

Whenever I've bought food in bulk in the past (due to special offers), I've just ended up eating it all much more quickly than normal--it's like I can't rest knowing it's there and uneaten! 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Actually, not to be that guy, but someone at work commented that flour and yeast would be the best things to buy as you could make shitloads of bread... as opposed to cans which are bulky and take up space.

Living in a a one bed flat in London I don't really have the room to panic buy even if I wanted to! 

Panic buying in London means getting UberEats shoved through your catflap 14 nights in a row...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

I took myself down to Woolworths (Australia, not UK) to pick up the outstanding ingredients. I got to the flour section of the big supermarket.

Empty. 

All of it. The fucking flour section. Not just the cheap stuff, the entire range. Even the poncy upmarket stuff that you would only get if the vicar was coming around for tea! 

So I cycled over to Coles. They had some wholemeal, but otherwise the exact same.

In the Woolworths closest to me, in Melbourne, the latest batshittery is panic buying toilet paper. Not long life food products or tinned goods, no - just toilet paper. Here are the shelves, usually brimming with the stuff:

shelf22.jpg.0cad2ff7ec9da93801263416e95369f4.jpg

shelf11.jpg.4cf0b91dceed4e6755c8c32289f5cfd1.jpg

35 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Last week my partner commented that she thought she was eating a bit much chocolate, so I challenged her to go a week without eating any. If she succeeded, I would make her a batch of vegan chocolate cookies as a reward (I am fully aware of the pointless of this as the reward, but it was more about the giving up). 

Today she made it the full 168 hours, so I took myself down to Woolworths (Australia, not UK) to pick up the outstanding ingredients. I got to the flour section of the big supermarket.

Empty. 

All of it. The fucking flour section. Not just the cheap stuff, the entire range. Even the poncy upmarket stuff that you would only get if the vicar was coming around for tea! 

So I cycled over to Coles. They had some wholemeal, but otherwise the exact same.

Who is panic buying flour?I get the toilet paper and hand-sanitiser, but fucking flour? Fuckin' Australians. Come on. 

"Sorry Mr Hogan, I'm afraid it's coronavirus. Is your house order?" "Yeah me and the lads are having a baking night one last time."

There is a happy ending to this story though - I cycled down to a sizeable Asian supermarket where I normally go for the better choice and guess what - they had plenty. So my partner was delighted with my cookies (I made myself a separate batch with white chocolate instead of dark, they could be better but I set my standards quite high in the kitchen) and I'm committing to doing as much of my shopping in the Asian supermarket because fuck you Australia you fucking drongo. 

Now I've typed this out, someone is going to point out why flour is a really obvious thing to buy, aren't they?

No, they're going to point out that the owners of the store were in Wuhan last week...

1 minute ago, Gilb said:

Interestingly the series 'The 100' is about a group of post-apocalyptic survivors. Uncanny. Ok...no similarity...yet.

Has Elon Musk already got plans in place for a space station so we can escape from the virus?

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Has Elon Musk already got plans in place for a space station so we can escape from the virus?

Or maybe he's known this was coming all along..........conspiracy theories abound!

Some good news:

- Iran has postponed their film festival from April to June, so it looks like the authorities have faith to this being controlled by that time. 

- France has postponed a World Congress to June: https://www.dezeen.com/2020/02/29/mipim-property-fair-postponed-until-june-over-coronavirus-fears/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

- And looking around, they are not the only ones:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/02/coronavirus-baseball-qualifying-olympics-june/

- UMF in Miami not cancelled:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/no-plans-to-cancel-ultra-music-fest-over-coronavirus-concerns-miami-miami-dade-mayors/2200095/

Meanwhile we have also this view:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-51720534

"Coronavirus could peak in May or June, Wales' top doctor says"

Edited by AlexOvd

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

from the numbers i've seen from the USA (I think they might have been Washington state), there was around a 30% death rate - which suggests it's waaaaay more widespread than the numbers are picking up.

I'm most worried about the US, since their healthcare culture isn't exactly about everyone pulling together in a coordinate way.

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

In the Woolworths closest to me, in Melbourne, the latest batshittery is panic buying toilet paper. Not long life food products or tinned goods, no - just toilet paper. Here are the shelves, usually brimming with the stuff:

shelf22.jpg.0cad2ff7ec9da93801263416e95369f4.jpg

shelf11.jpg.4cf0b91dceed4e6755c8c32289f5cfd1.jpg

Not hit here yet .... empty shelves with bleach ... hand sanitiser (obviously ) although we did have a small delivery last night .... and soap bottles very low ... 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

One of the lads here has got some South American mushrooms, which may be part of tonight's little tickle. Not sure if they'll work so soon after having taken acid, but there's only one way to find out, I guess.

Sadly the dropoff with psychs is pretty harsh, if you dropped yesterday you'd need double the dose today to get the full effect.  Takes a good 14 days of a linear curve dropoff to get back to baseline.  I perhaps trip 1-4 times a year, some years not at all.  

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

No, but I'm sure he's got a banging hard house track, or a catapult for actual cats, or maybe a new company that will build a bridge from San Francisco to Hawaii.