Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

3 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

The problem with images like this being shared on social media is everyone laughs at it and then shares it with others so they can laugh too. And then some who those who laughed go to Asda to do their weekly shop and walk down the toilet paper isle and throw an extra packs in to the trolley "just in case".

You see, it's not the nutters like this woman who cause the problem as they are so few and far between, it's the sharing of the image so that it gets stuck in the psyche of a normal person so they buy a bit more.

And then suddenly the 2000 rolls Asda normally sells becomes 4000 rolls and shelves start becoming bare so people start panicking and buy even more and so on and so on.

I disagree, I think the responsibility lies with the selfish people ridiculously mass-buying things, as depicted in the picture. They really don't give a monkeys about everyone else going without, so long as they have 20,30 times what they need- who honestly does this without conscience?! 

Once they've done that the damage is done- it leaves everyone else (whether they see this via twitter or in the store via empty shelves or on the news) with a difficult choice of whether to buy it when they see it (as it's not as readily available) or not and risk going without. It only takes a few selfish idiots to stuff up the whole system.

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It only takes a few selfish idiots to stuff up the whole system.

..and this was why we brought in rationing in the war.  What chance is there for the person who gets paid weekly as an agency worker who lives paycheck to paycheck on inconsistent wage if some minority of twats have cleared the shelves to overstock themselves. 

As I'd said before, I expect to see some ugly behaviour from some in the coming days and weeks.  There is a breed of person in this country whose selfishness defines their every action.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

..and this was why we brought in rationing in the war.  What chance is there for the person who gets paid weekly as an agency worker who lives paycheck to paycheck on inconsistent wage if some minority of twats have cleared the shelves to overstock themselves. 

As I'd said before, I expect to see some ugly behaviour from some in the coming days and weeks.  There is a breed of person in this country whose selfishness defines their every action.

Was it not due to there being a potential food shortage? 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Was it not due to there being a potential food shortage? 

Fear of a potential food shortage.

Rationing was introduced to distribute food fairly. 

Otherwise the wealthy would have all and the poor none.

5 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I see you've met my parents then... an Asian friend of mine has been on the receiving end of some unfortunate stuff whilst in public recently, people really are bastards. 

I've had a noticeable cold/cough the past week or so which has made my commute nice as when I start coughing or sneezing, the people around me mysteriously disappear.

1 minute ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I see you've met my parents then... an Asian friend of mine has been on the receiving end of some unfortunate stuff whilst in public recently, people really are bastards. 

This shit makes me sick (no pun intended)

Yeah, I just wish everyone would adopt the Glastonbury ethos of: Don't be a dick.

If we all just stuck to those 4 words the world would be a much nicer place, like our little utopian world that exists for a week each midsummer.

Read something interesting on bbc news yesterday that only over half people show any symptoms at all that have tested positive, so obviously that will make it hard too impossible to contain and that they must have that information from family members that have tested positive but remain relatively healthy...theres me thinking everyone who has tested positive has the full on flu and most in hospital 

1 minute ago, pryce said:

Read something interesting on bbc news yesterday that only over half people show any symptoms at all that have tested positive, so obviously that will make it hard too impossible to contain and that they must have that information from family members that have tested positive but remain relatively healthy...theres me thinking everyone who has tested positive has the full on flu and most in hospital 

The news says a lot of things 

Just now, dotdash79 said:

A big digital health conference is happening right now at olympia. But if you have people flying in then that’s a different story. 

That’s what I’m thinking in regards to this years festival, even from a punters point of view (never mind artists). The festival aren’t going to want hundreds if not a few thousand people who are flying in for the festival being denied access to the country. 

Today's update:

Again, another day that wasn't great but not a complete disaster either. Importantly no countries exploding like Italy, Iran and South Korea yet.

China's cases down a nice round 2,500 (27,436) which is what we want to see. Hopefully the trend there continues. In the rest of East Asia (bar South Korea) there wasn't a great deal of change. Cambodia (0), Vietnam (0), Thailand (11), Philippines (1), Indonesia (2) and Taiwan (29) saw no change. Slight increase in cases in Singapore (up 2 to 32) and Malaysia (up 3 to 14). Despite an increase in Japan (up 8 to 244) I was actually quite encouraged by their numbers. They seem to have slowed down the spread and they announced 11 recoveries yesterday too so hopefully this is the start of them announcing further recoveries. Hong Kong is down 1 (61) and Macau is also down 1 (1).

South Korea announced just 11 recoveries yesterday so we aren't quite at the stage of mass recoveries yet it seems. Overall active case numbers rose by 505 (5,259).

In the Middle East, so far no other country has seen a rise like Iran. Jordan announced it's first case (1) and there were gradual increases elsewhere. Oman announced its first 2 recoveries but cases still rose to 10. UAE also rose to 22 and Iraq rose to 32. Elsewhere, there was no change in Israel (11), Lebanon (13), Afghanistan (1), Kuwait (56), Bahrain (49) and Saudi Arabia (1). Qatar rose by 1 (8).

Iran didn't actually announce any recoveries yesterday so their case numbers rocketed by 824 (1,968).

In Europe there was a mix of countries with no change and countries with gradual growth. Encouragingly, in the 'new wave' of countries, we saw our first recoveries in Romania and Switzerland. The UK is up 12 (43) and Ireland has its second case. Other countries with fairly high levels of growth are Norway (32), Sweden (30), Switzerland (56) and Netherlands (24). The big worries continue to be Spain (up 44 to 162, also had its first death), France (up 20 to 196) and Germany (up 38 to 187). New countries are Ukraine and Liechtenstein (1 each).

In Italy, we only saw 11 recoveries which led to an overall growth of 428 (2,263).

There wasn't much change in Africa although Tunisia announced its first case (1). Senegal was the only other change, increasing by 1 (2).

In South America, Chile and Argentina announced their first cases (1), whereas Brazil remained on 2. Ecuador increased by 1 to 7. Further north, Mexico had its first recovery so is actually down 1 (4). Saint Barthelemy in the Caribbean has announced 3 cases (3). USA continues to increase and has quite a few deaths now too (9). Overall the USA is up 18 (110). Canada grew by 8 as well (27).

Elsewhere, New Zealand announced its second case and Australia increased by 8 (27). India had worrying increases due to 15 Italian nationals testing positive over there. I think their numbers are now at 25 active cases (although my source dashboard hasn't updated this yet).

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Again, another day that wasn't great but not a complete disaster either. Importantly no countries exploding like Italy, Iran and South Korea yet.

China's cases down a nice round 2,500 (27,436) which is what we want to see. Hopefully the trend there continues. In the rest of East Asia (bar South Korea) there wasn't a great deal of change. Cambodia (0), Vietnam (0), Thailand (11), Philippines (1), Indonesia (2) and Taiwan (29) saw no change. Slight increase in cases in Singapore (up 2 to 32) and Malaysia (up 3 to 14). Despite an increase in Japan (up 8 to 244) I was actually quite encouraged by their numbers. They seem to have slowed down the spread and they announced 11 recoveries yesterday too so hopefully this is the start of them announcing further recoveries. Hong Kong is down 1 (61) and Macau is also down 1 (1).

South Korea announced just 11 recoveries yesterday so we aren't quite at the stage of mass recoveries yet it seems. Overall active case numbers rose by 505 (5,259).

In the Middle East, so far no other country has seen a rise like Iran. Jordan announced it's first case (1) and there were gradual increases elsewhere. Oman announced its first 2 recoveries but cases still rose to 10. UAE also rose to 22 and Iraq rose to 32. Elsewhere, there was no change in Israel (11), Lebanon (13), Afghanistan (1), Kuwait (56), Bahrain (49) and Saudi Arabia (1). Qatar rose by 1 (8).

Iran didn't actually announce any recoveries yesterday so their case numbers rocketed by 824 (1,968).

In Europe there was a mix of countries with no change and countries with gradual growth. Encouragingly, in the 'new wave' of countries, we saw our first recoveries in Romania and Switzerland. The UK is up 12 (43) and Ireland has its second case. Other countries with fairly high levels of growth are Norway (32), Sweden (30), Switzerland (56) and Netherlands (24). The big worries continue to be Spain (up 44 to 162, also had its first death), France (up 20 to 196) and Germany (up 38 to 187). New countries are Ukraine and Liechtenstein (1 each).

In Italy, we only saw 11 recoveries which led to an overall growth of 428 (2,263).

There wasn't much change in Africa although Tunisia announced its first case (1). Senegal was the only other change, increasing by 1 (2).

In South America, Chile and Argentina announced their first cases (1), whereas Brazil remained on 2. Ecuador increased by 1 to 7. Further north, Mexico had its first recovery so is actually down 1 (4). Saint Barthelemy in the Caribbean has announced 3 cases (3). USA continues to increase and has quite a few deaths now too (9). Overall the USA is up 18 (110). Canada grew by 8 as well (27).

Elsewhere, New Zealand announced its second case and Australia increased by 8 (27). India had worrying increases due to 15 Italian nationals testing positive over there. I think their numbers are now at 25 active cases (although my source dashboard hasn't updated this yet).

Is right Ringo

Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty this morning.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Whitty said the UK was almost in the second phase of the government’s strategy of trying to contain, delay, research and mitigate the virus.

“When I was here previously, we were firmly in contain stage. Now I think we are on the borderline between containing and delaying. But many of the things you do to contain it also delay it.”

A head of steam seems to be building up, all of it in the wrong direction. Increasingly events are being cancelled and today the government has made Covid-19 a notifiable disease. The latter will help some event organisers with claims to their insurers should event cancellation be necessary.