Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Good lad Yog. You never fail to disappoint.

We all have our niche in life, and mine is to be able to almost guarantee to be disappointing. My dad was disappointing, his dad was disappointing, and his dad before him was also disappointing. I'm sure that you'll agree that that is a 'special' pedigree. There are people out there who don't register on any level, and would almost kill to be Biblically disappointing.

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from the numbers i've seen from the USA (I think they might have been Washington state), there was around a 30% death rate - which suggests it's waaaaay more widespread than the numbers are picking up.

I noticed this morning ITV trying to cause more panic saying the mortality rate is approx 4% scrolling across the bottom of the screen just as they cheif medical government guy said dont believe the hype some people have been reporting % based only on people presenting severe symptoms  which are distorting the facts.... (some people show zero symptoms) 

That strap line soon disappeared... 

5 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I can't wait to go! I'm getting nervous at the moment but what will be will be, it's completely out of my hands...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look them up at the moment my 'must sees' are Chihuly Garden and Glass and the Museum of Pop Culture :) 

Much more level headed approach to my worries about glasto haha 

There's also loads of food places worth looking at, Pike Pit BBQ, Ezells, Ivars Fish Bar, Dicks Drive In, Beechers, Pike Place Chowder to name a few! 

25 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm on day 3 of 7 days off, got to confess that I'm tempted by the stash of the same that has been sat at the back of my fridge for many months.  I've not tripped since last glastonbury because my head hasn't been in the right place, so we'll see :)  I've got one of the legendary che guevarra's left and a handful of varying designs and strengths that I've been saving for a rainy day.  Enjoy your time off mate :)

Hello Spindles,

Yeah, you need your head in the right place before indulging in that 'stuff'. I've never had a bad trip, but could see where it could all go very wrong. To be honest, I'm not really one for acid nowadays, but I was offered it last night, and it seemed churlish not to accept. 

One of the lads here has got some South American mushrooms, which may be part of tonight's little tickle. Not sure if they'll work so soon after having taken acid, but there's only one way to find out, I guess.

Wishing you a pleasant break too.  :)

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Much more level headed approach to my worries about glasto haha 

There's also loads of food places worth looking at, Pike Pit BBQ, Ezells, Ivars Fish Bar, Dicks Drive In, Beechers, Pike Place Chowder to name a few! 

I'm a natural over-thinker, I worry too much and get anxious so I just have to tell myself there's nothing I can do and let those feelings go or else I'd just get myself in a right state...haha. 

Oh I haven't looked into the food side of things yet! Thank you for starting it, I will start now :) 

27 minutes ago, Gwladboy said:

My god this thread is depressing.  I get the impression from some people here that it doesn’t matter what new information or counter argument is posted there is nothing that can dissuade them from the opinion that Glastonbury, the UK and all life as we know it is over.

Glad these few don’t make the decision, they’d have cancelled it already.

There is no justification to cancel anything right now. Remember the government have a vested interest in keeping things going. Cancelling and curtailing events causes people to spend less = lower tax take. Ergo less money for Boris's plans.

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

How do these people get tested? As I said my partner had all the symptoms, called 111 and was told he was probably fine as no international travel etc. So presumably everyone who has been tested at least has the travel risks? 

I read that in Scotland a number of GP practices all across the place are testing everyone with flu-like symptoms and using that data to track community spread rather than swamp the system by testing everyone at all practices. I assume similar is happening down yonder.

50 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks for the update.

Currently keeping a close watch on this as I'm supposed to be flying to Vancouver on the 15th of March, then onto Seattle (seems to be the most affected area in the US currently) and finishing up in New York, a trip I've been saving a few years for. Taking each day as it comes. 

Currently only  0.00018% of British Columbia is infected and 0.00055% of King County is infected :) 

22 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

love the hysteria going around

one of my staff has just been sick, I am guessing she is up the duff (again) or picked up a tummy bug from one of her kids. 

she has shit to do....

If it is a tummy bug I bet she does

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this sort of selfish attitude towards the situation that is likely to result in the virus spreading.

IF it reaches a point where Glastonbury (& other major events) are cancelled it will be for a very genuine reason due to the risk of the virus spreading. Risking the lives of vulnerable people so you can sit in a field for a few days getting pissed playing the bongos would be a bit of a dick move in those circumstances. 

I can think of few things I’d rather do less than sit in a field listening to idiots with bongos, I’m merely stating what I think people will do.

events getting cancelled will have absolutely nothing to do with protecting vulnerable people, whoever they are, and everything to do with arse covering. 

Last week my partner commented that she thought she was eating a bit much chocolate, so I challenged her to go a week without eating any. If she succeeded, I would make her a batch of vegan chocolate cookies as a reward (I am fully aware of the pointless of this as the reward, but it was more about the giving up). 

Today she made it the full 168 hours, so I took myself down to Woolworths (Australia, not UK) to pick up the outstanding ingredients. I got to the flour section of the big supermarket.

Empty. 

All of it. The fucking flour section. Not just the cheap stuff, the entire range. Even the poncy upmarket stuff that you would only get if the vicar was coming around for tea! 

So I cycled over to Coles. They had some wholemeal, but otherwise the exact same.

Who is panic buying flour?I get the toilet paper and hand-sanitiser, but fucking flour? Fuckin' Australians. Come on. 

"Sorry Mr Hogan, I'm afraid it's coronavirus. Is your house order?" "Yeah me and the lads are having a baking night one last time."

There is a happy ending to this story though - I cycled down to a sizeable Asian supermarket where I normally go for the better choice and guess what - they had plenty. So my partner was delighted with my cookies (I made myself a separate batch with white chocolate instead of dark, they could be better but I set my standards quite high in the kitchen) and I'm committing to doing as much of my shopping in the Asian supermarket because fuck you Australia you fucking drongo. 

Now I've typed this out, someone is going to point out why flour is a really obvious thing to buy, aren't they?

Edited by sirjonnyp
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

I'm on day 3 of 7 days off, got to confess that I'm tempted by the stash of the same that has been sat at the back of my fridge for many months.  I've not tripped since last glastonbury because my head hasn't been in the right place, so we'll see :)  I've got one of the legendary che guevarra's left and a handful of varying designs and strengths that I've been saving for a rainy day.  Enjoy your time off mate :)

This is so funny. Whenever I see your posts alongside that profile pic it's like they are coming straight out the mouth of JC himself. Wetting myself on this one :)

27 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I read that in Scotland a number of GP practices all across the place are testing everyone with flu-like symptoms and using that data to track community spread rather than swamp the system by testing everyone at all practices. I assume similar is happening down yonder.

Everyone that comes to the practice? But the advice is not to come to the practice... all I know is my partner doesn't have it (I assume as he is on the up) but he very easily could have and they didn't bother to test. Which means a lot more could not be tested too. Just speculating of course but just seemed odd to me that they could say with relative certainty it probably was just a cold/flu.

13 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Last week my partner commented that she thought she was eating a bit much chocolate, so I challenged her to go a week without eating any. If she succeeded, I would make her a batch of vegan chocolate cookies as a reward (I am fully aware of the pointless of this as the reward, but it was more about the giving up). 

Today she made it the full 168 hours, so I took myself down to Woolworths (Australia, not UK) to pick up the outstanding ingredients. I got to the flour section of the big supermarket.

Empty. 

All of it. The fucking flour section. Not just the cheap stuff, the entire range. Even the poncy upmarket stuff that you would only get if the vicar was coming around for tea! 

So I cycled over to Coles. They had some wholemeal, but otherwise the exact same.

Who is panic buying flour?I get the toilet paper and hand-sanitiser, but fucking flour? Fuckin' Australians. Come on. 

"Sorry Mr Hogan, I'm afraid it's coronavirus. Is your house order?" "Yeah me and the lads are having a baking night one last time."

There is a happy ending to this story though - I cycled down to a sizeable Asian supermarket where I normally go for the better choice and guess what - they had plenty. So my partner was delighted with my cookies (I made myself a separate batch with white chocolate instead of dark, they could be better but I set my standards quite high in the kitchen) and I'm committing to doing as much of my shopping in the Asian supermarket because fuck you Australia you fucking drongo. 

Now I've typed this out, someone is going to point out why flour is a really obvious thing to buy, aren't they?

Actually, not to be that guy, but someone at work commented that flour and yeast would be the best things to buy as you could make shitloads of bread... as opposed to cans which are bulky and take up space.

Living in a a one bed flat in London I don't really have the room to panic buy even if I wanted to! 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Actually, not to be that guy, but someone at work commented that flour and yeast would be the best things to buy as you could make shitloads of bread... as opposed to cans which are bulky and take up space.

It's true, bread doesn't keep but flour does, for months, and you can use that to keep making bread.

However, it takes a surprising amount of flour to make bread so bags of flour still aren't going to last that long. If you were tying to survive some kind of nuclear winter or zombie apocalypse it'd be pointless as you also need running water and a functioning oven. You want pasta, rice and lots of tinned goods.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Living in a a one bed flat in London I don't really have the room to panic buy even if I wanted to! 

I should have said - the bread flour is in a separate aisle in Woolos - and there was plenty of it. I bake my own, but I'm not sure the smug satisfaction that I get from it would keep me going for weeks on end!