Billie Eilish

Matt42

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also - not sure about the strokes comparison as rock bands are a bit different. For bands it’s easier to milk your early albums to death…. Like the Killers.

Obviously every act's career follows a different path, but if you are complaining about everyone showing you solo female pop singer career paths that don't lead to the pointy one despite world conquering ubiquity in their prime so I offer you a different kind of example.

The point being despite her current success and the potential for future success neither of those things are guarantees of the particular achievement of closing the Pyramid Stage. That is not to knock her, even if Album 2 has tickled my fancy less than Album 1 as a middle aged dad I'm not her target demographic, it is just to say that it is still very much a question of "if" rather than "when" she will headline Glastonbury.

Edited by mcshed

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Obviously every act's career follows a different path, but if you are complaining about everyone showing you solo female pop singer career paths that don't lead to the pointy one despite world conquering ubiquity in their prime so I offer you a different kind of example.

The point being despite her current success and the potential for future success neither of those things are guarantees of the particular achievement of closing the Pyramid Stage. That is not to knock her, even if Album 2 has tickled my fancy less than Album 1 as a middle aged dad I'm not her target demographic, it is just to say that it is still very much a question of "if" rather than "when" she will headline Glastonbury.

But I’m not just arguing it’s world concurring ubiquity only? She’s played the festival before and has been booked as a headliner at various festivals across the world. There’s already more proximity with Billie to headlining the festival than others. Instead of saying it’s only a matter of time before she headlines, I’m yet to see a convincing argument as to why she wouldn’t be considered a front runner to do it in the future?

There was a time where Taylor headlining felt like a massive reach as she had never done a festival and we didn’t know whether her management would even allow it. It’s different with Billie. I’d say Billie feels more likely as a potential option than Taylor did prior to her announcement.

Edited by Matt42

Got some weird gut feeling at the moment that Billie is maybe stepping forward into the fold. The Saturday O2 date looked like she has other plans but venues she’s planning to play she’s announced. There are indications she has some festivals to be announced soon too. (Mad Cool etc).

if Paul is back and he takes the Saturday, then she is a prime candidate to step in for either Kendrick or Taylor, and she would be a decent replacement for either.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, Matt42 said:

Got some weird gut feeling at the moment that Billie is maybe stepping forward into the fold. The Saturday O2 date looked like she has other plans but venues she’s planning to play she’s announced. There are indications she has some festivals to be announced soon too. (Mad Cool etc).

if Paul is back and he takes the Saturday, then she is a prime candidate to step in for either Kendrick or Taylor, and she would be a decent replacement for either.

: coughs

55 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah it's a new one although @Suprefan had mentioned it was earmarked, think she's still free on the Friday

Yep.

Edited by Suprefan

I don’t think the next album turnaround will be as quick as this one as she’s already in a position where she can take as long as she likes, but if she were to knock out an album in the two years until the next festival then she’d be primed for a 2023 headline slot. I don’t see it off the back of this album, especially after it’s two years old. If she’s got nothing new out for ‘23 then ‘24/whenever she’s got new shit out will be her time. 

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The album sold only just over half what Dave sold the previous week. And as many as the last Yungblud album did. Interesting.

Surprised by that. I thought it was gonna do huge numbers. Maybe the singles being so downbeat/uninteresting did more damage to the expectations of the album than anticipated. 

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Surprised by that. I thought it was gonna do huge numbers. Maybe the singles being so downbeat/uninteresting did more damage to the expectations of the album than anticipated. 

She sold 73k in vinyl alone in the US, so it's still a huge smash. The lead-in singles combined with the vinyl price here (over £30) will have put off a lot of casual and younger buyers in the UK I imagine.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

She sold 73k in vinyl alone in the US, so it's still a huge smash. The lead-in singles combined with the vinyl price here (over £30) will have put off a lot of casual and younger buyers in the UK I imagine.

Among that, she shifted around 9,500 vinyls, which makes Happier Than Ever the third-fastest selling vinyl album of the millennium by a female artist, just behind Lana Del Rey’s Chemtrails Over the Country Club and Kylie Minogue’s Disco. (here)

So it seems that she had better first-week vinyl sales than huge-selling acts like Taylor Swift and Adele, but just way fewer streams.

The total is down 9,000 on the last album too, which is probably the most alarming stat of all.

I do agree with what you've both said about the likely impact of not having a radio smash among the singles. Maybe it's not enough to be a household name with the general audience, you still have to give a reason to be interested.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I looked it up myself. Paris on Wednesday then London on Saturday/Sunday. As I said in the Headliner thread, she’s got a few theee nighters and doesn’t have two straight nights off all tour…

Yes, sorry, I read the headliners thread after this one.

I guess it all depends if she adds a 2nd Paris date. It'd be weird if she only does one France date when she has so many UK ones and three German ones.

13 hours ago, kalifire said:

Only way she’d be in headliner position is if she passes on 2022 and lets the hype build for 2023, imo. 

She doesn’t have enough right now. 

How is selling out potentially 9 dates in the UK’s biggest arenas not enough? Who else is touching that right now?