Billie Eilish

Matt42

8 hours ago, paulomas said:

this is brilliant

I think objectively this is her best song. Not my favourite, but a definite highlight in her discography that will probably remembered for a long time. One straight for the greatest hits.

I think HTE was a very smart move. There were some people after Sleep that thought she was one note and couldn’t diversify her sound. Whilst I think HTE can sound a bit jumbled it’s taught me that Billie has variety. I do think she has a long career in front of her however that looks.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think objectively this is her best song. Not my favourite, but a definite highlight in her discography that will probably remembered for a long time. One straight for the greatest hits.

It instantly became a favourite of mine from Billie on first listen and I imagine it'll be absolutely immense live. Gives me strong I Know The End by Phoebe Bridgers vibes.

I just got round to listening to the new album for the first time today. I went into it with low expectations as I haven’t been feeling any of the singles but I had the album on whilst I was doing some bits around the house and… I kind of love it. 

I really, really enjoyed it. I adore the opening track especially. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Will Billie be the quickest artist to headline the Pyramid from obscurity (removing the COVID-affected years)? It's a rapid rise, isn't it?

Arctic Monkeys will forever hold that title I think. Debut to pyramid headliners. Nothing will touch it IMO.

I think they are the only act I can think of that went from 0- to headliner and pretty much cut out everything in between. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Arctic Monkeys will forever hold that title I think. Debut to pyramid headliners. Nothing will touch it IMO.

I think they are the only act I can think of that went from 0- to headliner and pretty much cut out everything in between. 

Ah yes, good point. Did AM play any other stages or was it straight to headline status?

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ah yes, good point. Did AM play any other stages or was it straight to headline status?

At Glasto it was straight to pyramid stage but I’m pretty sure they subbed Reading and may have played a very small spot at reading before that which was very overcrowded?

I think AM went from oversubscribed small set, to subbing Reading, to headlining Glastonbury in three years. It’s quite similar to Billie but technically Billie has been round since 2016/2017 so AM did it quicker. (She’s been releasing music since she was 15)

Edited by Matt42

I remember reading somewhere that Arctic Monkeys were originally asked to headline Reading and Leeds in 2006 but thought they weren’t up to it with just one album so agreed to sub instead. Presumably their headline slot went to Franz Ferdinand (if the story’s true, which it may well not be).

Still a fast rise up to Pyramid headliner the next year, where it became apparent that it wasn’t just lack of a second album that made them not up to headlining a major festival.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I remember reading somewhere that Arctic Monkeys were originally asked to headline Reading and Leeds in 2006 but thought they weren’t up to it with just one album so agreed to sub instead. Presumably their headline slot went to Franz Ferdinand (if the story’s true, which it may well not be).

Still a fast rise up to Pyramid headliner the next year, where it became apparent that it wasn’t just lack of a second album that made them not up to headlining a major festival.

I read that the organisers genuinely didn’t know whether to give it to AM or Muse and due to AM’s hesitations Muse got the gig… but they weren’t the first choice. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone watched the Disney+ performance? Looked awesome.

Shes going to smash it 🙂 

You mean the pre recorded/mixed vocal performance/mime music video? Cause you can tell in some parts that they did not totally do it live. If I can hear you taking a breathe in when the mic is 2 feet from your mouth its not doing you any favors to pretend. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Almost certain this is true. It was meant to be: Arctics/Kaisers and Muse/Franz. Ended up being quite a lot of switching between those two days: Feeder and Yeah Yeah Yeahs swapped places late on, with Feeder taking a lower billing under a Muse/Arctics/Streets 'av it triptych

AM walked that sub slot and could have easily headlined in 2006, mind. Barely needed to get out of autopilot and it was delirium. Coming out with '...Dancefloor' as the opener was inspired.

AM were absolutely terrible in that sub slot, no stage presence at all. Muse blew them out of the water. 

17 minutes ago, foolee said:

AM were absolutely terrible in that sub slot, no stage presence at all. Muse blew them out of the water. 

Just looking at the 2006 Leeds lineup. I remember seeing FF headline the Sat and Muse headline the Sunday, but cannot for the life of me remember where I was on the Friday. I know I didn't see Pearl Jam because they don't interest me and wouldn't have bothered with Maximo Park.

Best guess is that I was off my nut at Soulwax.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just looking at the 2006 Leeds lineup. I remember seeing FF headline the Sat and Muse headline the Sunday, but cannot for the life of me remember where I was on the Friday. I know I didn't see Pearl Jam because they don't interest me and wouldn't have bothered with Maximo Park.

Best guess is that I was off my nut at Soulwax.

Reading 2006 was my first proper festival. 

We finished up with Soulwax, was a superb way to end the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I've really got into the new album recently after it didn't really click with me at first.  Really enjoyed this live set on youtube, you can see how much she loves performing and based on the sound at her Glastonbury set the new songs are going to sound epic live.

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

I've really got into the new album recently after it didn't really click with me at first.  Really enjoyed this live set on youtube, you can see how much she loves performing and based on the sound at her Glastonbury set the new songs are going to sound epic live.

Well youre just watching the stream. The sound of it in person has not been the best. She played Fireyfly and Governors Ball this weekend and it did not sound good at all based on the complaints. So thats a possibility at Glastonbury cause Im sure theyll insist her own crew do the sound then its not gonna go over well. I think not having the crowd close will be a big deal unless she is getting them to put the catwalk all the way down. Even Mick Jagger and Bono didnt get one so.

Aaaaanyway, away from discussion over whether she's gonna flop etc., I'm retreating to this safe space 😂 

Now this seems locked in I'm all for it. The festival shows she's done in the US seem great on the streams. Excited to check out ACL this weekend. Her current show seems a huge step up from 2019 - seems like she's really developed as a live performer, which is odd and impressive since she's barely played any full shows in 18 months. Love the big ramp, the lighting is great and there's a real air of confidence in having such a stripped back show.

Really hope she sticks with the bury a friend/crown 1-2 to open the set...it'll go OFF on the Pyramid.

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Aaaaanyway, away from discussion over whether she's gonna flop etc., I'm retreating to this safe space 😂 

Now this seems locked in I'm all for it. The festival shows she's done in the US seem great on the streams. Excited to check out ACL this weekend. Her current show seems a huge step up from 2019 - seems like she's really developed as a live performer, which is odd and impressive since she's barely played any full shows in 18 months. Love the big ramp, the lighting is great and there's a real air of confidence in having such a stripped back show.

Really hope she sticks with the bury a friend/crown 1-2 to open the set...it'll go OFF on the Pyramid.

I agree the setlists and fan reaction looks great. Really looking forward to this one.

7 hours ago, jparx said:

I think youll be fine in that regard. It’s not going to change. The show is married with the production and it covers the discography. IF there is something different, I would expect it to be No Time To Die. Question is, will they allow the catwalk out into the crowd which turns into a cherry picker or not? It is friday so thats much easier to have it set up ahead of time and change out for the rest of the weekend.

Edited by Suprefan