Billie Eilish

Matt42

3 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

James Blake would be cool. Surprised he isn’t on the bill himself. 

He’s in real danger of disappearing up in own arse these days if his Instagram is anything to go by but I do like his music. On YouTube there’s a good gig from the Park stage a few years back. 

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

He’s in real danger of disappearing up in own arse these days if his Instagram is anything to go by but I do like his music. On YouTube there’s a good gig from the Park stage a few years back. 

If that’s the 2014 headline show on the Park, I was at that and it was a beaut. Haven’t seen him since he moved to LA and became best mates with Beyoncé, but if he’s supporting Kendrick then he must be doing something right

Am I missing something with the Damon Albarn cameo and playing Feel Good Inc? Inviting him out for a song - sure, great, whatever. Then going on to play the most commercially successful track from a band that could headline in their own right with no link other than Albarn happens to be there... why?

As I say, I might have missed something but does it not somewhat serve to undermine herself? She can do what she wants of course and it may have been the dream shot to play with her idol and her favourite tune I guess. Just seems a very odd move. Headlining one of the largest festivals on earth off only two albums and 20 years old is a hell of an achievement, if I were her I'd want to do it alone to stamp that authority. I guess that doesn't get the headlines the next day though does it?

I haven't watched the whole set but based on the 20-30 mins I've seen from throughout I think I may be elsewhere. No shade, just preference. The idea of Bridgers in the Park has gone from frustrating clash to very attractive way to spend the evening between sunset from there and my first Park headliner.

@Beaver89 coachella is known for bringing out guests. Lots of acts do it. We go on about guests at Glastonbury but guests at Coachella is way more common and they get (in general) bigger people to show up for one or two songs.

Gorillaz absolutely can’t headline Coachella, and to think they are a bigger booking than Eilish is just unfortunate.

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Beaver89 coachella is known for bringing out guests. Lots of acts do it. We go on about guests at Glastonbury but guests at Coachella is way more common and they get (in general) bigger people to show up for one or two songs.

Gorillaz absolutely can’t headline Coachella, and to think they are a bigger booking than Eilish is just unfortunate.

Except they already have headlined it... unfortunate 😛

29 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There seems to be a running trend here of having a go at billie for doing things that other artists do. Feels like the bar she has to pass is a notch higher than others.

Not having a pop. Found it curious. If anything the fact everyone has enormous guests reinforces my comment about news headlines. Less about the show, all about the publicity.

I absolutely get why she is headlining. Not questioning it and she did a good job. That said, it is the first occasion of having to admit I'm getting older and some artists speak more to generations younger than me (I'm only in my early 30s mind! and keep up to date). Billie headlining Glasto did not raise an eyebrow from me - although anyone suggesting she is the same level as Taylor (who she 'replaced') did.

• Like 1

I'm in my 40s and respect Billie Ellish and have seen her at Leeds Festival a few years ago. I know she is not for me but I do think it's funny people suggesting the crowd could be bigger for Foals than Billie.....

I also think people are under estimating the popularity of Kendrick Lamar. He is one of the biggest artists in the world right now. I'm looking forward to seeing him for the first time. 

@Beaver89 definitely not the same level as Taylor, but very few artists are the same level as Taylor. I’d say Taylor and Beyoncé are the two female pop acts who can comfortably sell out stadiums anywhere they go. They are both a slight notch below Adele in terms of demand and size but that’s splitting hairs.

Billie is obviously a notch below that because she’s a newer artist, but again, billies way bigger than most other female pop stars operating at the moment. Comparing her to Taylor is not a fair comparison. 

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Beaver89 definitely not the same level as Taylor, but very few artists are the same level as Taylor. I’d say Taylor and Beyoncé are the two female pop acts who can comfortably sell out stadiums anywhere they go. They are both a slight notch below Adele in terms of demand and size but that’s splitting hairs.

Billie is obviously a notch below that because she’s a newer artist, but again, billies way bigger than most other female pop stars operating at the moment. Comparing her to Taylor is not a fair comparison. 

Below?

No. 

Dont forget Gaga too.

Just now, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Below?

No. 

Dont forget Gaga too.

I see it like this. From who is currently active / will be active soon.

Sells out anything she puts her name to instantly / every release is guaranteed best selling album of the year - Adele

Comfortable stadium sellers wherever they go - Taylor Swift, Beyoncé 

Can sell out ‘a’ stadium night or two - Gaga

Not yet sold out a stadium but probably can soon - Billie Eilish

Not yet a stadium seller - Dua Lipa

Combined Billie sells way more tickets than Gaga. Billie’s sold out something like 6 nights at the O2 (about 120k tickets) amongst a bunch of other UK dates. I doubt Gaga could sell out more than 2 nights at a stadium. Can’t compare her to Billie as Billie hasn’t tried to do a stadium yet.

55 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I'm in my 40s and respect Billie Ellish and have seen her at Leeds Festival a few years ago. I know she is not for me but I do think it's funny people suggesting the crowd could be bigger for Foals than Billie.....

I also think people are under estimating the popularity of Kendrick Lamar. He is one of the biggest artists in the world right now. I'm looking forward to seeing him for the first time. 

Exactly this. It's a weird set of headliners for me in that I agree they should all be up there (except Paul whatsisface... who does he think he is? a Beatle or something? some people!) but none of them hit that button in me that get me mega excited for them. It is purely, 100%, a matter of my personal taste and listening habits though, no reflection on them. A good live show can make the penny drop though with any artist so we will see!

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yep, agree! Not a fair comparison at all, hence I was amused when some people (not necessarily on here) were implying otherwise. At the same time others suggesting Taylor dropped out and they could 'only' get Billie is equally ridiculous.

It's not a competition or a league, they are all winners along with a bunch of other acts who could or should but for one reason or another won't.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I see it like this. From who is currently active / will be active soon.

Sells out anything she puts her name to instantly / every release is guaranteed best selling album of the year - Adele

Comfortable stadium sellers wherever they go - Taylor Swift, Beyoncé 

Can sell out ‘a’ stadium night or two - Gaga

Not yet sold out a stadium but probably can soon - Billie Eilish

Not yet a stadium seller - Dua Lipa

Combined Billie sells way more tickets than Gaga. Billie’s sold out something like 6 nights at the O2 (about 120k tickets) amongst a bunch of other UK dates. I doubt Gaga could sell out more than 2 nights at a stadium. Can’t compare her to Billie as Billie hasn’t tried to do a stadium yet.

Point well made but….

You’ve also got to consider who they’re selling out too. Eilish gets a lot more younger crowd and agree she’s not on there level.

i would say that Beyoncé is Adele level and above, with Taylor Swift being roughly that level.

Gaga does more films than stadiums these days but could easily draw in one of the biggest crowds ever at Glasto if she was to headline.

5 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

I would say that Beyoncé is Adele level and above, with Taylor Swift being roughly that level.

Nope, Adele has eclipsed her. It’s not that important of a point as we are comparing one massive artist to another massive artist, but it’s simply not true that Beyoncé is a bigger touring force than Adele. Perhaps it’s deceptive because Adele rarely tours, but if any act can sell out 5 nights+ at Wembley in the 20s it’s Adele. I’d say she’s the most successful artist we’ve had in decades.

Edited by Matt42

9 hours ago, big hog said:

Yeah I'm definitely not watching her after seeing that Coachella stream. I like her music but as a performer she's not cut out for that kind of gig. Just running around speaking the words over backing tracks. At least Oxytocin looked good.

Yeah i’m having serious second thoughts now. I like her music too amd the beats are fantastic but it’s all about the voice, not interested in seeing her mime

Finally sat through one of her songs. I was watching No Time to Die. Was far from impressed. 

She might have a nice voice but the songs got no energy about it. I’ve not heard more than the intro’s of some of her other music and I haven’t heard anything so far that suggests a decent party tune.

Do we have any idea of whose playing before her on the pyramid? I’m getting flashbacks to 2017 where you have a really upbeat act like the XX going into Radiohead which ended up being a bit of a mood killer. 

The production quality of her current set is fantastic. She'll wow the Pyramid crowd easily with that stage show, but I'm bemused at the comments to her Coachella set (elsewhere, not here) describing her as having a command of the stage. As far as I could see she's still whispering her way through the quiet songs and leaping about during the upbeat ones, shouting at the crowd to tell them what to do while her taped vocal does the heavy lifting.

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The production quality of her current set is fantastic. She'll wow the Pyramid crowd easily with that stage show, but I'm bemused at the comments to her Coachella set (elsewhere, not here) describing her as having a command of the stage. As far as I could see she's still whispering her way through the quiet songs and leaping about during the upbeat ones, shouting at the crowd to tell them what to do while her taped vocal does the heavy lifting.

Idk a lot of people here really want this set to fail it’s a bit strange. ANYTHING which may be a shortcoming is honed in on.