Foals

RarerThanDandyB

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

If i hadn't already heard The Runner, that intro and path into it would have me seriously swooning

Glad it's not just me. Boss opener. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

I think we can all agree that the two part album just hasn’t really worked here. If they had released it as a combined 12 track album, and cut the filler, it could have been a very good album indeed.

you know i had to do it to em

EVERYTHING NOT SAVED WILL BE LOST 

Red Desert
The Runner
Wash Off
Exits
White Onions
In Degrees
On The Luna
Dreaming Of
10,000 Feet
Cafe D'Athens
Sunday
I'm Done With The World (& It's Done With Me)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Red Desert
The Runner
Wash Off
Exits
White Onions
In Degrees
On The Luna
Dreaming Of
10,000 Feet
Cafe D'Athens
Sunday

That would be way long. No one wants a one-hour Foals album.

I disagree about the two album concept not working. They’re concentrated. If people aren’t arsed about P2 then there’s P1, and vice versa.

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I love it for the most part. 10k Feet, Wash Off and Dreaming Of are top shelf. Red Desert>The Runner plugs you right in too. I was a bit disappointed with Neptune - wasn’t bad but was expecting an epic finale rather than just lengthy jamming.

Love Neptune. Had it on really loud in the car this morning and there's lot of subtle nuggets in that track that I might not have picked up on if I didnt have the volume cranked up, absolutely stunning track. 

I'm absolutely obsessed with The Runner as well. 

When they first announced two albums in one year I thought "here we go, Foals disappearing up their own arse" as when bands try this sort of thing theres usually one decent album buried in there somewhere but I think both albums are brilliant. 

Give them the Friday headline slot 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Red Desert
The Runner
Wash Off
Exits
White Onions
In Degrees
On The Luna
Dreaming Of
10,000 Feet
Cafe D'Athens
Sunday

You'd cut Syrups, Black Bull and Neptune, give over !!

• Upvote 3

Just finishing up Neptune now. Record gets another big thumbs up from me. Heavier than Part 1, as expected. But most definitely not a 'b-sides' collection. Different enough from Part 1 to justify it being a separate album.

Suffers from a bit of a lull in the middle but the tunes either side are good enough that they can get away with it. 

I usually like to listen to an album at least 5 times before commenting as sometimes it takes a few plays to get it. Listened to it quietly over breakfast and it didn’t really jump out at me, then listened again on way to work turned right up and absolutely love it. 
As some have said i think it was right to have it as a separate album, the runner, black bull, wash off and 10,000 feet are the stand outs for me. Can already see some of these being incredible live. Perfect Friday night headliner material ??

They needed steering from a producer imo to polish the songs and tell them what to cut. DIY approach is impressive but has ultimately been their achilles heel.

One of my favourite bands but really dissapointed by both part 1 and 2.  Bring back James Ford.

EDIT - i hope they headline. I still love them.

Edited by Honeybane
EDIT
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

CLASHING WITH NICK CAVE, WHAT DO I DO. BOTH 6TH MAY.

You'll see Foals headline in June so go Nick Cave, you have to wait a whole other year for him to headline.

Also of the hundreds I've been to I reckon that Nick Cave at manc arena last time was the greatest I've been to.

I also had a tremendous amount of fun watching Jimmy Eat World last night so dunno if trusting me is worth it.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

You'll see Foals headline in June so go Nick Cave, you have to wait a whole other year for him to headline.

Also of the hundreds I've been to I reckon that Nick Cave at manc arena last time was the greatest I've been to.

I also had a tremendous amount of fun watching Jimmy Eat World last night so dunno if trusting me is worth it.

Didn't Nick also say that the Manchester gig was one of his favourites on the tour?

Just now, priest17 said:

Nothing beats a riveting rendition of The Middle. 

That is very true, Nick Cave it is. He hardly tours and you can book Foals to headline your party they tour that often.

Plus you need to see Stagger Lee as many times as possible.

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Didn't Nick also say that the Manchester gig was one of his favourites on the tour?

Yeah we both have great taste.

It was fantastic though, I was so apprehensive about it being an arena gig (worked there for years prior and who likes going to their old work spots) and all the new security measures made the build up so unenjoyable but both the band and the crowd tapped into something. I'm not a spiritual man but there was something fucking magic about that night. One of those rare nights (and I'm incredibly picky about these) that feels like it'll never be repeated. I'm still gobsmacked.

EDIT: also it was one of his favourites of his career, not to go on about it or anything ahah https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nick-cave-opens-up-about-the-most-emotional-concert-of-his-career-in-manchester/

Edited by priest17

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Yeah we both have great taste.

It was fantastic though, I was so apprehensive about it being an arena gig (worked there for years prior and who likes going to their old work spots) and all the new security measures made the build up so unenjoyable but both the band and the crowd tapped into something. I'm not a spiritual man but there was something fucking magic about that night. One of those rare nights (and I'm incredibly picky about these) that feels like it'll never be repeated. I'm still gobsmacked.

Damn, I just wonder if it'll be that good again there. Otherwise I'll be going to London for th Friday show...

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Damn, I just wonder if it'll be that good again there. Otherwise I'll be going to London for th Friday show...

Maybe, who knows. It was a cocktail of specific circumstances, the main body of it though is Nick Cave is fucking fantastic live so I'm not sure it matters where you see him.

I've always been torn over Foals. Went from thinking they were just indie landfill to quite liking some of their songs (Mountain at My Gates, In degrees) to really liking the new one (The Runner) then delving deeper and finding a lot of stuff I don't like.

I think they're at their best when they're playing heavier stuff. Not sure I'll ever like the singer's voice, but would definitely see them headline if there wasn't a mega-clash.