Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

The Prodigy haven't been listed as 'UK Festival Exclusive' for SW4 - Marshmello was last year. They haven't been confirmed for any other UK festivals as of yet and they are playing in Finland on Glasto weekend so they could easily make it over. Why are they snubbed as a Pyramid headliner? They've been in the game for nearly 30 years, have a huge fanbase of all ages and every album they release goes straight to no.1, they put on the best live show I've ever seen. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamesh992 said:

The Prodigy haven't been listed as 'UK Festival Exclusive' for SW4 - Marshmello was last year. They haven't been confirmed for any other UK festivals as of yet and they are playing in Finland on Glasto weekend so they could easily make it over. Why are they snubbed as a Pyramid headliner? They've been in the game for nearly 30 years, have a huge fanbase of all ages and every album they release goes straight to no.1, they put on the best live show I've ever seen. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed! 

They're just about relevant enough to get away headlining the Other, they're nowhere near being a Pyramid headliner dude. 

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They're just about relevant enough to get away headlining the Other, they're nowhere near being a Pyramid headliner dude. 

He's right that they are bound to pop up somewhere else though, TRNSMT is one option but it's not even reported as an English Exclusive. You would think they'll do Glasto again at some point, they clearly aren't accepting slots anything but headline although all the headlining one's they are accepting here are basically Other headline equivalent.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

He's right that they are bound to pop up somewhere else though, TRNSMT is one option but it's not even reported as an English Exclusive. You would think they'll do Glasto again at some point, they clearly aren't accepting slots anything but headline although all the headlining one's they are accepting here are basically Other headline equivalent.

They're not playing trnsmt anyway 

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'd say that's disingenuous. They're easily relevant enough to headline the Other, and a little way off Pyramid. 

Tbh I think they'd headline Other or sub Pyramid if they played. But don't play them down quite that much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I'd say that's disingenuous. They're easily relevant enough to headline the Other, and a little way off Pyramid. 

Tbh I think they'd headline Other or sub Pyramid if they played. But don't play them down quite that much. 

I might have been a bit harsh re the Other but they're about 20 years too late to be a realistic Pyramid headliner 

12 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They wont headline and thats fair, their peak was late 90s however Stormzy is headlining and Prodigy are miles bigger than Stormzy even now (for now anyway) so that argument really gets thrown out this year. 

Are the Strokes bigger than the Prodigy even? 

I guess the alternative argument is Prodigy could do it but not with weak headliners like Stormzy and The Cure alongside them?

13 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I might have been a bit harsh re the Other but they're about 20 years too late to be a realistic Pyramid headliner 

They did headline the Pyramid in 1997.  It wasn't a great gig for reasons beyond the band's control and they've never looked like doing it again since. 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:23 AM, SwedgeAntilles said:

I don’t think relevance is the issue, as others have described re The Cure and The Strokes. A lot of pyramid headliners play on their back catalogue rather than current relevance.

I think if they had broken up in the early 00s and were reforming they might be seen as Pyramid headliner material... but as they kept going they have become less exclusive. Like the Manics but to a lesser extent.

8 hours ago, jamesh992 said:

Why wasn't it a great gig? What happened?

As Stu alludes to above, the sound was quiet/shit and it kept cutting out, leading in one elongated absence of music to Dennis Pennis coming on stage to rap, in Hebrew apparently.  And it was pissing down throughout.

The band were obviously pissed off with the whole thing too.

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

As Stu alludes to above, the sound was quiet/shit and it kept cutting out, leading in one elongated absence of music to Dennis Pennis coming on stage to rap, in Hebrew apparently.  And it was pissing down throughout.

The band were obviously pissed off with the whole thing too.

I've seen the prodigy 7 times.... I'd trade them all to have been to that one though.

16 hours ago, chatty said:

They wont headline and thats fair, their peak was late 90s however Stormzy is headlining and Prodigy are miles bigger than Stormzy even now (for now anyway) so that argument really gets thrown out this year. 

Are the Strokes bigger than the Prodigy even? 

I guess the alternative argument is Prodigy could do it but not with weak headliners like Stormzy and The Cure alongside them?

In today's money, I absolutely wouldn't say that The Prodigy are "miles bigger" than Stormzy. Far from it.