rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Even in 2016? Wow hats off, well hat off as i'm not Stu 2 hats!

There was one moment in 2016, Sunday I think, when I considered not completing the scheduled Park-Williams Green-Park set to set to set sequence.

I just wasn't sure I was up for the Mud-Eiger climb again so soon.

And then I had a word with myself and went to the Park and C Duncan was brilliant. You can't deny the BenFinderTM

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

This year will be my 9th and it's taken me pretty much that long to realise that the more bands I try to pack in the less I just sit back and enjoy the festival. I reckon planning for 3 or 4 is perfect. I want to stumble across random stuff and soak it all up this year.

I'll still do a clashfinder like. 

Unless I'm really dying to see a band I'll pick a few blocks of bands/ acts on one stage and go and hang about that area for a few hours. Honestly cannot be bothered rushing from stage to stage and having a full itinerary planned out. Probably cos it reminds me of going on holidays with my mum as a child.

14 minutes ago, Divein said:

Talking about you @bennyhana22, do you have a link to your big first post after your first Glastonbury. I like to read it from time to time and I feel it’s up there with the twix story in terms of getting in the mood. 

Awww, thanks, @Divein

Contrary to the perception I might give, I'm not a shameless self-publicist!

I've had a little look for that post, as you were so kind to ask, but I can't find it in 'My Activity'. I imagine someone cleverer could find it...!

Ben

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

have you ever measured your steps @bennyhana22? im intrigued as to how many marathons you do per hour ? :) 

No - I've got a pretty nice GPS watch, as I'm a runner, but I only wear it for running/swimming, as I like my normal watch too much!

I do cover a lot of ground at Glastonbury, but then so do many. It's important for me to reiterate that I acknowledge that I am the outlier in all of this, and would never be disparaging regarding those who prefer a more relaxed and less structured festival. I have tried hard to do things that way before, but my nature just compels me to pack things in, and at Glastonbury there is never not somewhere that I will really want to be - it's a curse!

The closest I have come to a 'normal' model is Boomtown last year where, because the daytime musical profile is not quite my thing (there's only so much jump-up Balkan pop-rock this boy can take...), I was slightly less military...but my clashfinders were still pretty rammo.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

have you ever measured your steps @bennyhana22? im intrigued as to how many marathons you do per hour ? :) 

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass

Flipping heck, SC...!

Ben

Did something similar in 2016 myself. When the weather is crap I always seem to see a shitload of bands. Walked way less in 2017. 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

im traling at about 65 miles ... but its still a decent distance :) but I do do a fair amount of moving on the spot compared to my friends ... described by me as dancing but others might not be so polite :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Flipping heck, SC...!

Ben

What can I say? Man likes a dance and I can thank Underworld, Carl Cox, Paranoid London, Maceo Plex, Shy FX and a whole host of others for their musical persuasion that year. Calves like cardboard come Monday. Totally worth it.

Don't think my legs have ever been as good a shape as they were the Tuesday after 2016, I was flying around, early to work every day that week.

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This year will be my 9th and it's taken me pretty much that long to realise that the more bands I try to pack in the less I just sit back and enjoy the festival. I reckon planning for 3 or 4 is perfect. I want to stumble across random stuff and soak it all up this year.

I'll still do a clashfinder like. 

I spend weeks building up to the festival meticulously planning and preparing a clashfinder in a manner that would make Ben look like a lazy, ill-prepared bum....

...then it all goes out of the window within seconds of getting through the gate.

• Like 1

I colour code the Clashfinder before I go. They will be a very few must sees who I will not miss, then a load of others who I highlight as "recomended" who I think will be good, but not overly concerned if I miss - this will be after trawling through BSR's playlist for a few weeks before hand. If I am nearby and in the mood at the time then I might go an see them, if I'm not I will just carry on bimbling around and see what happens. Just means I am never worrying about missing anything and am always chilled just going with the flow wandering round the site

I find pleasure in a healthy balance of wandering around the festival and planning the shit out of my day.

2017 was my first time and while it's good to plan a general schedule for each day, The Festival may not want you to stick to those plans. I remember the Other Stage being extremely packed for Rag & Bone man and getting through that crowd was a decent setback in what I had planned.

Also was lucky enough to plan to get inside the JP tent for The Killers early. As I heard that they ended up closing off the tent eventually.

No matter how much you plan, you can't predict it all. 

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I colour code the Clashfinder before I go. They will be a very few must sees who I will not miss, then a load of others who I highlight as "recomended" who I think will be good, but not overly concerned if I miss - this will be after trawling through BSR's playlist for a few weeks before hand. If I am nearby and in the mood at the time then I might go an see them, if I'm not I will just carry on bimbling around and see what happens. Just means I am never worrying about missing anything and am always chilled just going with the flow wandering round the site

Same, have a load of stuff I like to see, then some falls by the way side if you find something more appealing or if conditions or crowds mean you can't get to a choice 

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Exactly this. I spent my first G (2007) seeing as many bands as I physically could, and the stress / rushing around / being on my Tod took away from the overall experience.

A balanced approach has been adopted since, while still minimising the FOMO.

I always make sure I mark anything I'm interested in on the clashfinder. I have a couple of must sees that rain or shine I will go to. Other than that I will pick what to see or do based on weather but I do usually have a fairly full schedule.  

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

just checked mine on my phone, 122km (76m) for the 5 days, so not far off you. I'd imagine most people were doing 10miles a day at least!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've checked and the most i did in 1 day was 16.2 miles however i was up at 5:30 am for work until midday and then wandered all over that saturday in 17. Late Saturday night i was shattered but still managed to get plastered and have a good dance. Mental how much you can do when you actually want to :lol:

32 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

just checked mine on my phone, 122km (76m) for the 5 days, so not far off you. I'd imagine most people were doing 10miles a day at least!

The equivalent of three marathons in five days is a mind blower. Maybe all that physical activity counteracts all of the substances, lack of food, minimal sleep like some beautiful balancing act? 

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The equivalent of three marathons in five days is a mind blower. Maybe all that physical activity counteracts all of the substances, lack of food, minimal sleep like some beautiful balancing act? 

That would explain how I can manage Glastonbury but one big night out in the normal world screws me for days! 

• Like 1

In all seriousness I do think all the fresh air and walking does help counteract some of the abuse. Hangovers are usually more manageable for me once I get up and about. It's just the tiredness that gets me!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I didn't measure my steps, but I expect 2016 would have been up on 2017 too - I enjoyed 2016 by moving, moving, moving.  Not by moping about looking for somewhere to sit.

In 2017, I sat on the ground in front of the Pyramid for most of the Friday.

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In all seriousness I do think all the fresh air and walking does help counteract some of the abuse. Hangovers are usually more manageable for me once I get up and about. It's just the tiredness that gets me!

It's incredible what our bodies manage to survive at a festival - Feel like it should be studied by scientists somewhere.

The absolute bottom of the trench is around 10am when you're in a boiling hot tent feeling like you might actually die. But then you have a Berocca and you could go to war. Amazing.

• Upvote 1