2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but bookmakers Betway have priced up Glastonbury headliner market as follows: 

Kendrick 6/4

Elton 9/4

Kylie 5/2

Stormzy 7/2

Arctics 9/2

Fleetwood 9/2

ABBA 5/1

Calvin 8/1

Swedish House Mafia 8/1

Jay Z, Stone Roses, Led Zeppelin, Taylor Swift and Beach Boys 10/1

Eminem, Strokes 14/1

Kate Bush 16/1

Foo Fighters, Madness,  Oasis, Stones, Spice Girls 20/1

Rak-Su 33/1

Loads of others quoted

6 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but bookmakers Betway have priced up Glastonbury headliner market as follows: 

Kendrick 6/4

Elton 9/4

Kylie 5/2

Stormzy 7/2

Arctics 9/2

Fleetwood 9/2

ABBA 5/1

Calvin 8/1

Swedish House Mafia 8/1

Eminem, Strokes 14/1

Kate Bush 16/1

Rak-Su 33/1

Loads of others quoted

if odds were better i'd stick a bit on stormzy, already did on arctics at better odds

I'd love to catch Pendulum, but do they have the sway still to headline? To be honest, I've not really followed them for a few years but used to be really into them.

I also think you can disregard most odds, as someone said to me - there are band's there that don't even exist currently. 10/1 for Zeppelin! ? I can but hope! I do think the Arctic Monkeys will be one though: they tick a few boxes!

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Badlands said:

Everything about it was ace. They'd been away long enough that their songs were missed. They're a band that 'get' the festival. The crowd was absolutely fantastic. Probably my best gig ever. 

It was the greatest coming together of band and crowd I've ever been a part of. The whole thing was just perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jyoung said:

Are people discussing Pendulum as a Glastonbury Festival headliner?

Not main stage, Other. Personally I'd like to see them do what happened with Ben Howard and Deadmau5, dance act closer the stage to get as dark as it can but they've done 2nd from top before so they could again. It's whether R&L helps them step up a bit and they can sell a decent tour. They are favourites previously of the fest and I enjoy 2011 but can see why no darkness went against it for some people.

48 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Are Pendulum likely to do a proper tour? Feel like they’ve been ‘back’ for a while now and they’ve just been doing one-off dates

Tbf they have, headlined smaller events last year and tbf the return didn't quite have the effect. Reading was mad for it but people just move on to new things but Glastonbury I could see happening.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:43 AM, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what was so great about the Blur 2009 perfomance? Seems everyone considers it one of the greatest glasto sets ever...

I think mostly it was a case of the right band, at the right time, on the right stage. But from a personal point of view... 

As soon as the line up had come out i was torn between Blur and Prodigy, I'd loved both in the 90s without being a super fan of either. My girlfriend (now wife) was dead set on The Prodigy, so a fairly easy compromise for me. It was her first festival and she'd found it pretty hard going and once we'd made it round to the Other Stage from wherever we'd been previously, she declared she was spent and would watch from the tent (we were camped in Oxlyers), and was happy for me to go in and get involved. The fact that I'd had a couple of months resigning myself to missing Blur meant there was only one option, so preceeded to leg it round to the pyramid. I can vividly remember going past JP as The Wombats were playing Moving to New York!

I got there just in time and the set just built and built, soundtracking so much of my teens and twenties. The crowd, to a person, seemed so into it and the singalong during and after Tender was a moment that will stay with me as long as I live. It felt so tangible at the time, how much the crowd and band were connecting, and that it was a 'special' gig. In the weeks after the gig I'd almost convinced myself that I'd just been getting carried away, but seeing the footage of Damon breaking down on stage and hearing the band talk about it confirmed it wasn't just me.

Everything about it was just perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ltfckimbo said:

I think mostly it was a case of the right band, at the right time, on the right stage. But from a personal point of view... 

As soon as the line up had come out i was torn between Blur and Prodigy, I'd loved both in the 90s without being a super fan of either. My girlfriend (now wife) was dead set on The Prodigy, so a fairly easy compromise for me. It was her first festival and she'd found it pretty hard going and once we'd made it round to the Other Stage from wherever we'd been previously, she declared she was spent and would watch from the tent (we were camped in Oxlyers), and was happy for me to go in and get involved. The fact that I'd had a couple of months resigning myself to missing Blur meant there was only one option, so preceeded to leg it round to the pyramid. I can vividly remember going past JP as The Wombats were playing Moving to New York!

I got there just in time and the set just built and built, soundtracking so much of my teens and twenties. The crowd, to a person, seemed so into it and the singalong during and after Tender was a moment that will stay with me as long as I live. It felt so tangible at the time, how much the crowd and band were connecting, and that it was a 'special' gig. In the weeks after the gig I'd almost convinced myself that I'd just been getting carried away, but seeing the footage of Damon breaking down on stage and hearing the band talk about it confirmed it wasn't just me.

This.

It was just perfect in every way. Without wanting to sound cheesy, there was magic in that field that night. If I could bottle up a feeling that i would want to feel after a gig, it would be this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ltfckimbo said:

22 minutes ago, mr flow said:

This.

It was just perfect in every way. Without wanting to sound cheesy, there was magic in that field that night. If I could bottle up a feeling that i would want to feel after a gig, it would be this one.

I completely echo all of this. There was just something magical about it. The setlist, the atmosphere, having Coxon back, the big audience singalong... the whole field singing Tender after the band left the stage still gives me goosebumps, as does Damon's emotional moment. It was just beautiful. They were one of the first bands I was ever a really big fan of, but I hadn't sen them for years, and hearing songs like Tracy Jacks and This is a Low on that stage, at my second every Glastonbury having fallen totally in love with the place - the stars aligned.

I watched the set on my own as all my friends were losers and it didn't matter one jot.

I think the band talk about it in the film No Distance Left to Run and echo what many say here about how special it was. Even listening to recordings of it sets me off!

I saw them a couple of years later at their Hyde Park Olympic gig and it just wasn't the same. Also in 2015. They were great gigs, don't get me wrong, but nothing had the magic of that performance. Would it be that good if they played Glasto again? Probably not. Would I be there in a heartbeat? Absolutely. 

Mind you, I also enjoyed the Gorillaz set the following year... not on the same scale obvs, but it was fun. *hides*

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:43 PM, she bangs the drums said:

Kendrick 6/4

Elton 9/4

Kylie 5/2

Stormzy 7/2

Arctics 9/2

Fleetwood 9/2

ABBA 5/1

Calvin 8/1

Swedish House Mafia 8/1

Eminem, Strokes 14/1

Kate Bush 16/1

Rak-Su 33/1

Loads of others quoted

These odds definitely for any night? Gonna have £20 on Arctic Monkeys I think. Too tempting

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I completely echo all of this. There was just something magical about it. The setlist, the atmosphere, having Coxon back, the big audience singalong... the whole field singing Tender after the band left the stage still gives me goosebumps, as does Damon's emotional moment. It was just beautiful. They were one of the first bands I was ever a really big fan of, but I hadn't sen them for years, and hearing songs like Tracy Jacks and This is a Low on that stage, at my second every Glastonbury having fallen totally in love with the place - the stars aligned.

I watched the set on my own as all my friends were losers and it didn't matter one jot.

I think the band talk about it in the film No Distance Left to Run and echo what many say here about how special it was. Even listening to recordings of it sets me off!

I saw them a couple of years later at their Hyde Park Olympic gig and it just wasn't the same. Also in 2015. They were great gigs, don't get me wrong, but nothing had the magic of that performance. Would it be that good if they played Glasto again? Probably not. Would I be there in a heartbeat? Absolutely. 

Mind you, I also enjoyed the Gorillaz set the following year... not on the same scale obvs, but it was fun. *hides*

Echo all of the above, it's my favourite performance by any band I've seen anywhere, yet alone at Glastonbury.

Edited by Hugh Jass