Foo Fighters

Gozpot

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon the Glasto announcement will be held back to April. These other fests need to announce Foos, glasto doesn't.

Glasto didn't need to announce Radiohead, though, but it got announced along with all their other dates.

Surely if Foos are getting all their European festivals announced now via this passport thing then they'll probably want to announce Glasto along with it?

Same last year. Glasto didn't need to announce Coldplay or Muse early, but they usually do get their headliners out before April.

Edit: In fact Adele was announced before the poster as well, wasn't she?

Edited by Will-2609

14 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Glasto didn't need to announce Radiohead, though, but it got announced along with all their other dates.

Surely if Foos are getting all their European festivals announced now via this passport thing then they'll probably want to announce Glasto along with it?

Same last year. Glasto didn't need to announce Coldplay or Muse early, but they usually do get their headliners out before April.

Edit: In fact Adele was announced before the poster as well, wasn't she?

Well, i'm only guessing, but the foos need to help support the foos brand, and that's done by shifting tickets for these big euro shows.

And anyway, they've already done the 'we're super-pleased to be doing Glasto' thing, and (if they're announced) it's going to feel like a surprise to no one.  so they might as well give the benefit of all that towards these other shows, and not the place which doesn't need it.

There's normally at least one headliner that gets held back for around April. For no particular reason I'm thinking it'll be the foos. It's got to be one of the two remaining, if they're doing that.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can't imagine there being too many people in Belgium or Poland thinking "I won't buy a ticket because they'll be at Glasto."

Tbf I think he was just saying that these fests need them announced to sell tickets, whereas Glasto doesn't because it's already sold out. Not that them being announced for Glasto will stop people buying tickets for Open'er etc.

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Tbf I think he was just saying that these fests need them announced to sell tickets, whereas Glasto doesn't because it's already sold out. Not that them being announced for Glasto will stop people buying tickets for Open'er etc.

yep. Also that a Glasto announcement will take a bit of the focus and shine off those other announcements.

There's no need for Glasto to be announced, so then when you think 'what are the best benefits to be had around announcing' from the foos stand-point, holding it back is probably the best, while an earlier announcement would only really benefit a wish for people to know.

I'm just saying what my current thinking is, based only on idle speculation.

18 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

That makes more sense. Like them or not they're a huge band anyway, they must have sold 3/400k tickets in the UK alone two years ago so there's no reason to think they wouldn't do the same again across Europe regardless of which festivals they announce. With Radiohed and the Foos on board it's hard to imagine Wercher or Sziget struggling to shift tickets.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The (changing) red bits are places they've announced, and they're not playing all of Belgium or Portugal, (etc), either.  :P

I'm trying to convince myself they're not playing for entertainment purposes here Neil, you're not doing that any favours 

13 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

That map doesn't exactly scream Glastonbury now does it.....

How do you mean? It's a map of Europe with the countries turning red as they announce them. That pic is zoomed in on Belgium because they've just announced Rock Werchter. When the Glasto announcement is imminent the UK will turn red and then it'll be announced.

Edti: I see Neil beat me to it.

Edited by Will-2609

4 minutes ago, James96 said:

What about if they're booked for R+L instead? Obviously the dates point more logically towards Glasto but could R+L have picked them up? They are due a headliner announcement soon aren't they? (Though it's probably Kasabian)

Apparently they're only over here for two weeks at the end of June and beginning of July. That seems to be holding true at the moment 

1 hour ago, MattDavies__ said:

Apparently they're only over here for two weeks at the end of June and beginning of July. That seems to be holding true at the moment 

Yeah considering Pinkpop have SOAD and GD confirmed, I'd have thought they'd have FF by now if they were there. Wouldn't be surprised if they flew in the Friday of Glastonbury in time to perform Sunday.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah it seems like Pink Pop is a bit early, which probably explains why they aren't playing

If they are only touring for 2 odd weeks that is

Yeah I think the Pinkpop fella has said that they're not about for his festival so they've had to approach them for 2018 instead.

Said that they weren't touring but they changed their plans late on and the festivals they're playing have paid handsomely to have them, though I don't suppose anyone in the UK in that two week window could/would pay to take them off Glasto's plate.