Foo Fighters

Gozpot

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

No argument, just curiosity about whether people care where else the headliners are playing.

Only in so much as if I know an act is definately playing Glastonbury then I'm less likely to chase a ticket for elsewhere on their tour. Similarly for the touring acts I missed out on tickets for or where I cant afford to travel to see them, knowing they are playing a festival I am going to is fantastic consolation.  

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Since there's little to no indication (thus far) that's the Foo Fighters have an upcoming album, it could well just be Glastonbury that they are doing this year and no London date 

I think if they don't have an album coming out a greatest hits set on the Pyramid would be absolutely fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Since there's little to no indication (thus far) that's the Foo Fighters have an upcoming album, it could well just be Glastonbury that they are doing this year and no London date 

Although I would be surprised if there isn't a Sonic Highways 2 already in the can

7 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

I think if they don't have an album coming out a greatest hits set on the Pyramid would be absolutely fantastic.

I know that bands usually have new albums to promote but I think festival sets should always be greatest hit shows. Seems like a sensible approach and exposes them to an audience who may either be watching for the first time or simply be casual fans wondering what all the fuss is about. A tour show is the place where people specifically go to see a band play their new stuff or air out the more esoteric tracks.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I doubt the booking process works that way, tho I don't know.

Fair. I thought if IOW had them for example they would have got that info out already given the fact it was at one point a struggle to take place and Wembley sold out pretty quick. Normally I'd not consider but as they are from here I slightly wonder if they have taken an offer from R&L.

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Fair. I thought if IOW had them for example they would have got that info out already given the fact it was at one point a struggle to take place and Wembley sold out pretty quick. Normally I'd not consider but as they are from here I slightly wonder if they have taken an offer from R&L.

Stone Roses at R+L could be a bit brutal.

Roses would do fine at R+L, loads more 16-20 'indie kids' go there than TITP I reckon. In fact I think they'd get a bigger crowd than anyone else barring RHCP got in the past couple of years.

Courteeners get good crowds at R+L. Roses have nothing to worry about.

Edited by ConorC

Surely any musician would know of glastonbury and its significance though, certainly someone like Dave Grohl?

Not really sure how it's viewed in the US but I don't think a British act going over to play coachella would see it as 'any other festival'... and that's coachella - doesn't carry near the same prestige as glasto in a historical context.

I don't think Dave views Glastonbury as some ultimate, holy grail show for him and his band, but at the same time I don't think they view it as any old festival. As far as a FF show goes, it will be a bit more special than the others but it's not threatening Radiohead in terms of a landmark, years in the making appearance.

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't think Dave views Glastonbury as some ultimate, holy grail show for him and his band, but at the same time I don't think they view it as any old festival. As far as a FF show goes, it will be a bit more special than the others but it's not threatening Radiohead in terms of a landmark, years in the making appearance.

Yeah it's pretty commonly accepted that they've turned down Glastonbury offers previously to go chase the $$$ from Reading over and over again, is it not? They may get the 'significance' of it but it's not like they're begging to play like certain other bands.

2 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

I know that bands usually have new albums to promote but I think festival sets should always be greatest hit shows. Seems like a sensible approach and exposes them to an audience who may either be watching for the first time or simply be casual fans wondering what all the fuss is about. A tour show is the place where people specifically go to see a band play their new stuff or air out the more esoteric tracks.

Not least because the beeb will be showing a fair proportion of it and thats got to be good for back catalogue album sales too.

Dave loves a crowd though doesnt he, how many bigger crowds would he have the opportunity to play in front of.

Speaking of which - how big a crowd do you think they would pull? (I assume this may have been discussed before but I dont care, I havent seen it)

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I reckon more likely that Roses were gonna play Glastonbury but hadn't signed owt. then somneone else offered big money so they changed their minds. And this is all conjecture based on nothing at all.

I would imagine there were offers on the table at the same time as Glasto.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Surely any musician would know of glastonbury and its significance though, certainly someone like Dave Grohl?

Not really sure how it's viewed in the US but I don't think a British act going over to play coachella would see it as 'any other festival'... and that's coachella - doesn't carry near the same prestige as glasto in a historical context.

The amount of people who go to Coachella who don't know about Glasto or what it even is, is quite staggering.