Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The killers are well past it at this stage, could they really be considered headliners?

Kings Of Leon could do it alright. But I'd likely be elsewhere because if I heard them play sex on fire or use somebody I'd turn into a homicidal maniac. Just give us Radiohead please.

The Killers are still a huge band. They ain't gonna headline or play Glastonbury because they're pretty damn irrelevant and haven't released anything worthwhile in a long time, but I'm sure V and TITP will still snatch em up any time they're in need of a headliner. Likewise with KOL on all points 

3 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

There must have been some shenanigans with the Stones set though. I have the full set on a DVD.

Oh yeah it was all filmed, just not shown.. I distinctly remember a very ashamed looking Mark Radcliffe apologising for having to introduce Example instead 

12 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The Foo Fighters are dull anyway. Bland middle of the road radio friendly rock that all sounds the same. I don't know how people get so excited about them, it's disappointing because all the members were in far more interesting bands before the Foos.

Well I guess because they have a catalogue of solid-sounding tracks, including some bona fide classics from the earlier albums; they've got a very engaging frontman who enjoys what he does and is enthusiastic on stage; they've been going for 20 odd years so have gone some longevity; and they make noises that sound good.

I don't get the dislike for "radio friendly" bands.  Yes I like to listen to stuff that's a bit different and doesn't get played much (if at all) on the radio and virtually no-one else likes.  I like stuff that makes me think and is intricately composed and genre bending and all the rest of it.  But I also like to bounce and jump and sing along to something with a good hook, strong riffs and a solid chorus.  Certainly don't want to spend all my time stroking my chin and nodding and understanding the message.  Music is basically entertainment, hence some bands are entertainers.

If the entire festival was the Park I'd do my nut...

Edited by Quark

8 hours ago, mufcok said:

His brother gave one of my good mates an airing of the two new singles about 2 months before they were released so it's not always bollocks. A lot of the rumours do tend to be bollocks though, admittedly

Yikes. I wouldn't want to have been in the company of Mani's close family the first time I heard All for One. :lol:

I know it won't happen and I'm happy with that but for the sake of mentioning it, there will apparently be a tour and album from Fleetwood Mac next year according to Mrs Mac. Also a snippet about Glasto:

And you still have the potential to play Glastonbury again.
Yes. I think we have been asked but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened, I don’t know for what reason. Would I love to do it? Love’s a strong word! I wouldn’t mind – so long as we could helicopter in and helicopter out!

ok

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know it won't happen and I'm happy with that but for the sake of mentioning it, there will apparently be a tour and album from Fleetwood Mac next year according to Mrs Mac. Also a snippet about Glasto:

ok

can't wait to see that enthusiasm for the festival radiate from the stage

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

ok

I thought that some members of Fleetwood Mac moaned about the length of the tour and did not seem happy about it being extended into Australia etc ?

And then when tour was done then retirement beckoned with a better bank balance than when they started the tour 

it was clearly a lighthearted joke about the mud.

it may be a shock to some people on here, but most well-known bands probably just want to get in, play their gig, and get the fuck out again. they don't give a crap about trudging around festival sites wasting time for the afternoon.

Edited by ghostdancer1

19 hours ago, Quark said:

Well I guess because they have a catalogue of solid-sounding tracks, including some bona fide classics from the earlier albums; they've got a very engaging frontman who enjoys what he does and is enthusiastic on stage; they've been going for 20 odd years so have gone some longevity; and they make noises that sound good.

I don't get the dislike for "radio friendly" bands.  Yes I like to listen to stuff that's a bit different and doesn't get played much (if at all) on the radio and virtually no-one else likes.  I like stuff that makes me think and is intricately composed and genre bending and all the rest of it.  But I also like to bounce and jump and sing along to something with a good hook, strong riffs and a solid chorus.  Certainly don't want to spend all my time stroking my chin and nodding and understanding the message.  Music is basically entertainment, hence some bands are entertainers.

If the entire festival was the Park I'd do my nut...

I love a good hook and a solid chorus too but still find the foo fighters quite dull when compared to someone like QOTSA or Muse.

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I love a good hook and a solid chorus too but still find the foo fighters quite dull when compared to someone like QOTSA or Muse.

My rant was more about the idea that radio-friendly music has little or no merit.  If you don't like a band then fair do's, there's plenty of stuff I can't stand!  There's an element of musical snobbery that creeps in sometimes that just winds me up a smidge.  Plus I was having a challenging day yesterday :)

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

My rant was more about the idea that radio-friendly music has little or no merit.  If you don't like a band then fair do's, there's plenty of stuff I can't stand!  There's an element of musical snobbery that creeps in sometimes that just winds me up a smidge.  Plus I was having a challenging day yesterday :)

Yeah i get what you mean though. For example I see very little difference musically between Mumford and Sons and some of the smaller folk acts like The Staves but they seem to get more hate due to selling more records. 

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

ok

at least she's pretty honest about how luckluster "Mirage" is, which they're celebrating 25 years of in 2017....'Hold Me' and what else??

they should add her quote to the anniversary liner notes...

Genuinely excited about this years headliners. Last year was ground zero for dullness, Coldplay and Muse being pretty much nailed on for a long time and Adele to an extent too.

This year even if you take Sheeran as a given the other two, one way or the other, are going to be a big surprise and definitely a lot more exciting than Coldplay and muse, now for that ticket....

This year was my first glastonbury and as a bit of a musical snob I wasn't excited about headliners but realised u have to have massive appeal acts on pyramid and there's so much more for anyone who hates rado friendly bands. I wouldn't have paid to see muse Coldplay or adele on tour but have to say thought muse were brilliant adele was very good but not for me and Coldplay was an experience I will never forget. By the same token I saw loads of other bands and artists on a smaller scale or stage that I loved . I am desperate to get tickets again and whoever headlines I will find someone somewhere to see .

12 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

it was clearly a lighthearted joke about the mud.

it may be a shock to some people on here, but most well-known bands probably just want to get in, play their gig, and get the fuck out again. they don't give a crap about trudging around festival sites wasting time for the afternoon.

Years ago on a baking hot day by The Other stage most people were in clothing suited for the beach.  Wandering about in the dust dressed all in black including Cowboy boots , looking like an extra from a Serge Leone film was Carlos D from Interpol . I sought of thanked him for their set and then he was off into the dust again.  

On 20 September 2016 at 0:56 PM, fatyeti24 said:

can we not just ban sunday crowds?

I steer well clear of The Pyramid on a Sunday now , due to hating the chair sitters and the Golden Oldies on stage .  So wanting to see Alt-J did not fill me with confidence especially as LR was on before.  But I must admit people did get off their chairs near me and get into the band instead of the usual chatting , doing make up , selfies and posh pic nics you do get in that field on a Sunday

Edited by ivan