Headliner predictions 2017

swede

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I think he means cashing in at heaton park and the etihad but I ain't fluent in Gaz.

Well this is quite clear I think. A huge Manchester band, they were able to sell out two massive tours off the same album virtually that was essentially two reunions, they wouldn't be able to pull that as easy in say London.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Dom Wall said:

Rob da Bank has stuck on Twitter that it is "very unlikely" that he'd be able to book Daft Punk this year. Personally think that's a weird choice of wording? Very unlikely leads me to believe there'd still be a slight chance; almost as if they're active but won't play Bestival?

I think that sounds like they are around and touring but in the UK at a different time to Bestival and getting them back for then would be tough.  If not, surely just like Pinkpops booker said about the Foo's not touring next year would just be said.

It leads me to think that Glastonbury and either BST or Wireless have got them. It could even include Cream which is far enough before. If so, TITP would be silly not to chuck money at them and snap them up.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Has it ever happened with a headline band where the whole set hasn't been shown? I know The Stones had the first 4 songs or so chopped but I struggle to believe Glastonbury would let someone do that with the whole set. They might want to book The Roses but they managed to negotiate a deal with The Stones, who are miles bigger, I find it hard to believe there's gonna be a headliner missing off the TV coverage. Then again, I don't know how important the relationship with the BBC is from the festivals point of view. Time will tell though..

First hour of the Stones wasn't shown, and it was very much up in the air until almost the last minute whether any would be shown at all. Agreeing to be shown on TV isn't a condition of Glasto booking an act, although obviously on the other hand the bookers can (and do) use the TV coverage as a way of getting acts to agree to play for the lower fee..

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Has it ever happened with a headline band where the whole set hasn't been shown? I know The Stones had the first 4 songs or so chopped but I struggle to believe Glastonbury would let someone do that with the whole set. 

Leonard Cohen....although he was on in the afternoon he was headliner in my mind.

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Pretty sure Neil Young didn't have any shown live - and if he did it was only a couple of songs. 

He had about 5 songs broadcast. I definitely remember watching Words Between The Lines Of Age, A Day In The Life, Rockin In The Free World and The Needle And The Damage Done. I registered right after that.

And then I found out Michael Jackson was dead! What a rollercoaster that all was.

27 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

He had about 5 songs broadcast. I definitely remember watching Words Between The Lines Of Age, A Day In The Life, Rockin In The Free World and The Needle And The Damage Done. I registered right after that.

And then I found out Michael Jackson was dead! What a rollercoaster that all was.

East 17 told me. That was a weird experience!

5 hours ago, Dom Wall said:

Rob da Bank has stuck on Twitter that it is "very unlikely" that he'd be able to book Daft Punk this year. Personally think that's a weird choice of wording? Very unlikely leads me to believe there'd still be a slight chance; almost as if they're active but won't play Bestival?

i'd read that as him saying it would be very unlikely that Bestival could afford whatever their booking fee would be.

Edited by ghostdancer1

22 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i'd read that as him saying it would be very unlikely that Bestival could afford whatever their booking fee would be.

Aye I just made this comment elsewhere, I did forgot that due to their low sales this year they probably didn't generate enough funds to be able to book them and actually put a show on.

Whereas Wireless has sold very well with Kanye, JT, Jay-Z so wouldn't have a problem, BST chuck money at people and out of everyone they could book I think DP would give them another sellout easily.

4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Wireless didn't sell well with Kanye, it sold so badly they binned off the idea of a second site based on that year's sales

I thought it sold well in London but not Birmingham?, but after looking I may well be thinking of JT and Drake who returned for a 2nd year. 

It pleases me quite a lot that it is that way tbh, but no Kanye rant lol. Judging by this year though if they only have one huge act like Calvin Haha, stick DP there, CH isn't a cheap act to book at all.

12 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

All is not well in festival land !

There is a lad on the Roses fan page claiming he's been told by Mani's family (they live on the same street), that new music (album or EP) will drop in December -  followed by a tour next year. That would match up with Glastonbury timing, rumours though as ever with The Roses.

One of the journalists who is very in the know with them was also teasing big news last night so maybe more news is on the horizon 

18 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

First hour of the Stones wasn't shown, and it was very much up in the air until almost the last minute whether any would be shown at all. Agreeing to be shown on TV isn't a condition of Glasto booking an act, although obviously on the other hand the bookers can (and do) use the TV coverage as a way of getting acts to agree to play for the lower fee..

There must have been some shenanigans with the Stones set though. I have the full set on a DVD.

13 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

There must have been some shenanigans with the Stones set though. I have the full set on a DVD.

recording and broadcasting are two different things.  i too have the full set, which was leaked online a few days after the event.  presumably the BBC record much more than they broadcast every year.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

can we not just ban sunday crowds?

See I quite like the Sunday crowds.  Yes they bring chairs and create demand for slightly bland headline acts, but for me it's balanced out by their constant looks of horror when shambling messes such as myself who've been there since Wednesday shuffle past them stinking and gurning and swaying about, and generally upsetting them.

I'd miss that part.  

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

See I quite like the Sunday crowds.  Yes they bring chairs and create demand for slightly bland headline acts, but for me it's balanced out by their constant looks of horror when shambling messes such as myself who've been there since Wednesday shuffle past them stinking and gurning and swaying about, and generally upsetting them.

I'd miss that part.  

i hadn't considered that aspect.  i don't know if it's worth The Killers turning up, but it's something for me to think about.