Headliner predictions 2017

swede

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I personally think if not for Neil's info that DP wouldn't be close to being one of our 1st 3 options.

As Thom has said Radiohead will be active next year then I think it's next year or never for Radiohead. I have no doubt Elvis has offered it them it's just whether it not they accept and want it.

I 100% think SR is on, they don't need to be making sounds yet and when they do its all very sudden. It was November before they announce their shows for this year. And I can see Glastonbury announcing them 1st before any of their own shows in the south probably as people missing out will jump on it.

Sheeran comes down to whether he is ready or not but I can see him pushing it knowing that if he doesn't play this year, he won't in 19 and there is a chance that by album 4 he might not be as strong as he was. 

It's what 3 out of them and I'm not suggesting it but the only one that could be below headliner would be DP but they would have to headline Other stage. But on this basis, give Radiohead, Ed and Roses in that order with DP opposite Radiohead. Maybe the stage for DP is wrong.

Daft Punk would be the biggest booking out of those four by a long shot - no way are they headlining Other. i'm surprised they'd take the reduced Glastonbury headline fee as it is, never mind a lower Other fee. they must really want to do the festival if they've been booked for next year, or the Eavi must've given them a damn good reason to

if Neil's info is right about Daft Punk, and Sheeran takes the Saturday, then it's just a toss up between Radiohead and the Roses. i think at this time more stuff points to it being Radiohead, but as you say, the Roses could well swoop in and take it. both acts have avoided headlining the festival for a good few years now so it could go either way (or even another way entirely i guess)

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I personally think if not for Neil's info that DP wouldn't be close to being one of our 1st 3 options.

As Thom has said Radiohead will be active next year then I think it's next year or never for Radiohead. I have no doubt Elvis has offered it them it's just whether it not they accept and want it.

I 100% think SR is on, they don't need to be making sounds yet and when they do its all very sudden. It was November before they announce their shows for this year. And I can see Glastonbury announcing them 1st before any of their own shows in the south probably as people missing out will jump on it.

Sheeran comes down to whether he is ready or not but I can see him pushing it knowing that if he doesn't play this year, he won't in 19 and there is a chance that by album 4 he might not be as strong as he was. 

It's what 3 out of them and I'm not suggesting it but the only one that could be below headliner would be DP but they would have to headline Other stage. But on this basis, give Radiohead, Ed and Roses in that order with DP opposite Radiohead. Maybe the stage for DP is wrong.

Nice Summary and opinion. Tho I expect a flood of people to say "Daft Punk are Pyramid headliners or nothing!", not that I would.

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Daft Punk would be the biggest booking out of those four by a long shot - no way are they headlining Other. i'm surprised they'd take the reduced Glastonbury headline fee as it is, never mind a lower Other fee. they must really want to do the festival if they've been booked for next year, or the Eavi must've given them a damn good reason to

if Neil's info is right about Daft Punk, and Sheeran takes the Saturday, then it's just a toss up between Radiohead and the Roses. i think at this time more stuff points to it being Radiohead, but as you say, the Roses could well swoop in and take it. both acts have avoided headlining the festival for a good few years now so it could go either way (or even another way entirely i guess)

While I get what you say about The Roses, their come back shows in 12 and 13 were always going to be about money. Due to being from Manchester they were always going to be able to cash in for that and as said before if Glastonbury wanted the 3 they got this year....they could well have already agreed to have Muse before they even played Download last year then spots were gone.

Ian Brown has reportedly let it be known that he is in rehearsals with his band and I think it'll be made a big thing of that Glastonbury is the 1st place in the UK that people will properly hear the new material.

DP may see the benefit of TV coverage from Glastonbury and see that it enables them to do their own gigs as well. So a lower fee but still cash in anyway so why not do it too.

I was listening to Liz Kershaw on 6 for a bit on Sat and she had GnR's old manager on. She was asked specifically about Glastonbury and she said she reckons they're going to do it (though also said she had no insider info). Her 'logic' was that their activity so far suggests they are leading up to one big show.

I think Scruff's trying to ensure one less person watching Ed so he can get closer to the stage ;)

I've watched some of his live stuff on TV (which I know is exactly the same as being there), and while he does sound solid it doesn't really excite me.   Not enough to be bouncy, but not really chilled enough to sit back with a smoke.

Having said that,it all comes down to what's on at the time.  Might end up being the best option.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I was listening to Liz Kershaw on 6 for a bit on Sat and she had GnR's old manager on. She was asked specifically about Glastonbury and she said she reckons they're going to do it (though also said she had no insider info). Her 'logic' was that their activity so far suggests they are leading up to one big show.

wonder if she was aware that Glastonbury pays a fraction of what other festivals pay - i think that might change her mind. i read the other day that off the back of this tour Guns N Roses have become the 12th largest economy in the world (or something to that effect) - no amount of increased album sales off the back of their performance being broadcast on the beeb is gonna make much of a difference to them at this point. do the high paying shows and run

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

wonder if she was aware that Glastonbury pays a fraction of what other festivals pay - i think that might change her mind. i read the other day that off the back of this tour Guns N Roses have become the 12th largest economy in the world (or something to that effect) - no amount of increased album sales off the back of their performance being broadcast on the beeb is gonna make much of a difference to them at this point. do the high paying shows and run

i'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that however well Axl and the Roses are doing on tour, they aren't quite yet equivalent economically to Spain.

5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that however well Axl and the Roses are doing on tour, they aren't quite yet equivalent economically to Spain.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/09/08/guns-n-roses-now-twelfth-largest-economy-world/

obviously have to take the whole 'twelfth largest economy' thing with a pinch of salt, but they're making an insane amount of money from this tour

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

not really, most headliners are crap so I may as well go and see the one on the biggest stage. Obviously I wouldnt miss an act I like for the terd though.

Do you like singer-songwriters - 1 bloke with a guitar and a loop pedal playing melodic tunes? Do you like the poppier side of this? Would you like it if he occasionally threw in a poppier version of Jamie T-ish fast lyrics? If so, you may like Ed.

I suspect this isn't for you tho.

It's a weird one with The Roses. It has to be now or never for them

I've had it from a reasonably good source that the TV broadcasting/Ian's voice is the issue but from my point of view and what I know, Ian has knocked a lot of the smoking on the head. His full set was broadcast in '05 when he was smoking like a chimney so his voice can't come across much worse than then surely, 12 years later or not

Either way, it's great to have an exciting set of headliners rumoured this time round. Daft Punk on Pyramid would be a moment to behold

Edited by mufcok

57 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Personally I think most people will know about Glastonbury fees. 

I don't believe it at all but they could do it while selling out what they wanted I would imagine. Myself, I wouldn't bother if I saw them at Glastonbury as I'll pay what I need to reluctantly as it is.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

I don't really believe this cos there's nothing to stop them agreeing to headline then refusing to let the BBC show them.

Has it ever happened with a headline band where the whole set hasn't been shown? I know The Stones had the first 4 songs or so chopped but I struggle to believe Glastonbury would let someone do that with the whole set. They might want to book The Roses but they managed to negotiate a deal with The Stones, who are miles bigger, I find it hard to believe there's gonna be a headliner missing off the TV coverage. Then again, I don't know how important the relationship with the BBC is from the festivals point of view. Time will tell though..

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

While I get what you say about The Roses, their come back shows in 12 and 13 were always going to be about money. Due to being from Manchester they were always going to be able to cash in for that and as said before if Glastonbury wanted the 3 they got this year....they could well have already agreed to have Muse before they even played Download last year then spots were gone.

Ian Brown has reportedly let it be known that he is in rehearsals with his band and I think it'll be made a big thing of that Glastonbury is the 1st place in the UK that people will properly hear the new material.

DP may see the benefit of TV coverage from Glastonbury and see that it enables them to do their own gigs as well. So a lower fee but still cash in anyway so why not do it too.

What's being from Manchester got to do with it?

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I think Scruff's trying to ensure one less person watching Ed so he can get closer to the stage ;)

I've watched some of his live stuff on TV (which I know is exactly the same as being there), and while he does sound solid it doesn't really excite me.   Not enough to be bouncy, but not really chilled enough to sit back with a smoke.

Having said that,it all comes down to what's on at the time.  Might end up being the best option.

It couldn't possibly be the best option.  I'd rather get in the SE corner early or go to bed early than watch Ed Sheeran.