New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't have space in my garden to put mine up, otherwise I'd check for you.  Would it help if I took some snaps next time I'm in my local Decathlon?

If there is one up, that'd be great. 😂

Those Brothers tents are being delivered this week too, so that'll be interesting.

8 hours ago, snipe said:

Decided to grab a F&B on the back of the hype.  Used to have an old Coleman Bedrock which was great for the flight from Dublin (and the walking) as it was only 2.5kgs but a glasshouse if it ever got sunny and it would leak if it wasn't pegged completely taught.  Had to get the 3P F&B poled as Dublin Decathalon was out of the 2P so it is a bit heavier than I'd have liked.   Got some lightweight pegs on the way to take shave a little weight off.  

Is it safe to do a bit of customisation with markers or highlighters on the outside of the tent?  Don't want to compromise the waterproofing or anything.  By the sounds of things the festival is just going to be a sea of these identical tents so want to keep too many lost travellers from insisting I am in their tent (and to avoid the scenario where they're right!).

Cheeky set of solar powered fairy lights should work! 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m going for Bluetooth controlled so I can turn them on with my phone when I get close to my tent to help identify it. 

Actually sticking something like a tile or an AirTag on your tent probably would help you find it in the dark 😂

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

Finally taken the plunge and got the 4.1 air tent. Arrived today. Cannot wait to be all smug in a few weeks time.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm also eyeing one up. My missus is worried about the struts popping.

54 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

Quite a few people in here will have fresh and black, but there will be more quantities of other tents about, so chance of your camping area having a fresh and black within 10 metres will be pretty slim

Everyone in my group has a Fresh and Black 😄 

15 hours ago, offmytrolley said:

Adding a liner is interesting but I'd be careful. If you were either adding an inner liner or an outer layer that caused the tent to sag in parts you could get the inner tent/liner and flysheet touching and condensation dripping into your tent. 

In the past there's been talk on the forums about using space blankets/foil blankets stuck on the outside of your tent to give it a reflective layer to try and bounce heat away from the tent. It makes sense in theory but if you do it too tightly you're more likely to interfere with your tent's ventilation (I tried it once and even with the reflective side facing out the extra layer felt like I was keeping body heat inside the tent as much as I was keeping the morning sun out) and if you do it too loosely then it makes an absolute racket in the wind. You can solve the noise problem yourself with earplugs, but neighbours might not appreciate it! It's also a little bit antisocial as you're kind of setting up a mirror to bounce the heat and light at your neighbours instead of your own tent.

I suppose pitching a tarp or fabric over your tent but with enough of a structure to support it independently of the tent would work well, but then you'd be bringing almost two tents…

It won't help with the temperature, but an eye mask helps with the light issue. You can also try and optimise the tent's ventilation, for example leaving the front door open slightly at the top (if it's dry) to try and get more of a breeze as air enters the tent from the back vents and leaves through the front ones. Or pitch in the morning shadow of someone with a giant tent and let them absorb some of the heat and light for you? 😄 

thorough response, thanks! I have considered all of the above and came up with the same issues... will definitely take a mask but was hoping some sort of thin inner liner would also help with the heat (and especially not add to it)

Every time I head to a festival, I have great intentions of keeping my tent nice and clean. This plan usually falls apart after night 1.

FnB's in particular don't help as they're so dark it can be a bit of pain trying to find things, particularly late at night after your poison of choosing.

I've opted for a bigger 4.1 this year and noticed that we've a hook at the two back corners of the tent. I haven't had chance to put it up yet but I'm thinking a couple of these might be a winner for holding clean boxers, socks & t-shirts. Thought I'd share the idea here with my fellow FnB brethren in case they're met with the same problem!

Screenshot_20220510-110601_Amazon Shopping.jpg

2 hours ago, TheDayman said:

Every time I head to a festival, I have great intentions of keeping my tent nice and clean. This plan usually falls apart after night 1.

FnB's in particular don't help as they're so dark it can be a bit of pain trying to find things, particularly late at night after your poison of choosing.

I've opted for a bigger 4.1 this year and noticed that we've a hook at the two back corners of the tent. I haven't had chance to put it up yet but I'm thinking a couple of these might be a winner for holding clean boxers, socks & t-shirts. Thought I'd share the idea here with my fellow FnB brethren in case they're met with the same problem!

I think if you put too much weight on those hooks it might make the tent sag a bit which could be an issue if it rains, it's a good idea though - worth a try!

To get around the finding things in the dark issue I have some battery/USB powered fairy/led string lights strung from the front of the tent (there's a hook near the door) to the back and I take a bunch of the medium sized Ikea bags to put things into by category (clothes, snacks, campsite stuff etc) to make things a bit more organised. Best to hide valuables/booze away amogst the rest of the tent though otherwise an opportunistic tent thief could just grab the whole bag and go.

Really thinking about taking the plunge with one of the cheaper, smaller models.

Plus points

• Everything everyone raves about. 
  • Only needs to house me, so limited room isn't a problem. 
  • Even the 2 person poled has more room in the inner both across and height-wise than the tent I was going to take (and in 2019 led to several early mornings). 

Minus points

• It would live in the UK, I can't take it back due to the stuff I'm already due to bring back, so may not get a huge amount of use.
  • 2pp F&B is 3x heavier than the tent I was planning on taking (laser comp 2), 3pp F&B is 4x heavier. 
  • 15cm bigger when packed down than the LC2. 
  • £50 (or £65) on another tent that will live in my parents' shed, much to their delight. I should probably give one or two to my old scout troop while I'm back. Technically I don't need another tent. 

The weight and packed size are the problems for me. Not being the biggest guy, and going by train, limits how much I can carry in. The LC2 freed up an entire hand to carry stuff and reduced weight for me to struggle with in 2019, but it got very hot and sweaty, which the tent is renowned for, but when hiking that isn't usually a problem for me.  I just need to bite the bullet and spend the £50, don't I?

14 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Really thinking about taking the plunge with one of the cheaper, smaller models.

Plus points

• Everything everyone raves about. 
  • Only needs to house me, so limited room isn't a problem. 
  • Even the 2 person poled has more room in the inner both across and height-wise than the tent I was going to take (and in 2019 led to several early mornings). 

Minus points

• It would live in the UK, I can't take it back due to the stuff I'm already due to bring back, so may not get a huge amount of use.
  • 2pp F&B is 3x heavier than the tent I was planning on taking (laser comp 2), 3pp F&B is 4x heavier. 
  • 15cm bigger when packed down than the LC2. 
  • £50 (or £65) on another tent that will live in my parents' shed, much to their delight. I should probably give one or two to my old scout troop while I'm back. Technically I don't need another tent. 

The weight and packed size are the problems for me. Not being the biggest guy, and going by train, limits how much I can carry in. The LC2 freed up an entire hand to carry stuff and reduced weight for me to struggle with in 2019, but it got very hot and sweaty, which the tent is renowned for, but when hiking that isn't usually a problem for me.  I just need to bite the bullet and spend the £50, don't I?

Maybe for multi use you could get one of those fresh n black hiking tents? would look a bit weird in the festival field but at least you wouldn't struggle finding it!

20 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

I just need to bite the bullet and spend the £50, don't I?

Maybe it would help to frame things differently. Look at a FnB as a festival tent, rather than a hiking tent (although that's not to say it isn't)

Your current tent looks to be a fantastic hiking tent and as you mention, is super light weight. That's a real plus for hiking and for getting to and from festivals.

However once you're at the festival, the balance tilts towards the FnB. Particularly if its another hot one, you're going to be forced out of your hiking tent early each morning. A FnB will get you a few (crucial) extra hours of sleep each morning.

In the context of a festival, for me the extra sleep I get massively out weights the negative of having to carry it in.

8 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Maybe it would help to frame things differently. Look at a FnB as a festival tent, rather than a hiking tent (although that's not to say it isn't)

Your current tent looks to be a fantastic hiking tent and as you mention, is super light weight. That's a real plus for hiking and for getting to and from festivals.

However once you're at the festival, the balance tilts towards the FnB. Particularly if its another hot one, you're going to be forced out of your hiking tent early each morning. A FnB will get you a few (crucial) extra hours of sleep each morning.

In the context of a festival, for me the extra sleep I get massively out weights the negative of having to carry it in.

all of this, but with added ONE OF US 

• Like 1