New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

1 hour ago, Dan Eazy said:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/4-person-blackout-air-tent-air-seconds-4-1xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-302837?mc=8648382&c=BEIGE 

Does anyone know if the inflatable one (15kg) is in multiple parts so I could spread the weight over 2 suitcases?  I can take 2 x 23kgs bags checked in.

So the 4.1 FnB XL Air is exactly 15.25kg with the dimensions 75x35x30cm. As everything comes pre-connected, its just one big piece in the bag, with two very small bags that contain the pegs and 2 poles. I'm not sure it'll be worth splitting across multiple bags tbh. 

The pump is also quite big but very light @ 1.05kg. At moment there's actually plenty of room to fit the pump into the bag with the tent but 1. I don't know if I'd trust the pump not to get smashed in the check-on luggage of a plane and 2. You probably won't have that extra bag space when you go to pack it all up post festival.

I'd say most pumps with have the same fitting (17mm) however I think the problem would be getting the required PSI for the tent which needs 7PSI. For context, a blow up mattress is around 1PSI.

Here's some pics with a few items next that hopefully helps give you an idea of size -

20220424_163752.jpg

20220424_163908.jpg

20220424_164107.jpg

16 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

When I got mine I thought bleh, I don’t want to have to buy a pump, I’ve got various other pumps with different fittings and I’m sure I can string something together Macgyver style.

90 minutes of impressive swearing later I decided that no, actually I can’t, despite all my increasingly bad tempered efforts, and that I should just get the pump and stop being a knob 😂 the fact it’s so comedy big is quite useful really, cos it only takes  vs about ten to fifteen pumps to erect each pole. Doing a bed etc wouldn’t take much longer than a couple of mins too. I quite agree that five minutes of wandering an average campsite at glasto will see someone with the pump, if you’re volunteering with oxfam then you can borrow mine! 

5 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

So the 4.1 FnB XL Air is exactly 15.25kg with the dimensions 75x35x30cm. As everything comes pre-connected, its just one big piece in the bag, with two very small bags that contain the pegs and 2 poles. I'm not sure it'll be worth splitting across multiple bags tbh. 

The pump is also quite big but very light @ 1.05kg. At moment there's actually plenty of room to fit the pump into the bag with the tent but 1. I don't know if I'd trust the pump not to get smashed in the check-on luggage of a plane and 2. You probably won't have that extra bag space when you go to pack it all up post festival.

I'd say most pumps with have the same fitting (17mm) however I think the problem would be getting the required PSI for the tent which needs 7PSI. For context, a blow up mattress is around 1PSI.

Here's some pics with a few items next that hopefully helps give you an idea of size -

20220424_163752.jpg

20220424_163908.jpg

20220424_164107.jpg

Right, that's decided it then. Amazing, thanks so much for this guys. It's just going to be too much hassle to take such a big tent back and forth when flying, even if I did borrow the pump (thanks for the offer @balti-pie 🙂)

I'll go for the poled version and use the extra 5kgs for bedding and maybe camp bed.

p.s. thanks for the cereal packet for size reference @TheDayman👍😁

Edited by Dan Eazy
Typo - damn you autocorrect!

23 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I'll also add that I'll be camping in Paines Ground and plan to be there from Wednesday morning. If anyone plans to camp close and wants to save themselves the hassle of carrying a pump, feel free to borrow mine 👍

I am aiming to camp in Paines this year (previously only done Pennards as a large group but for complicated reasons can't do that this year) will be just me and my missus. We are looking at a 3 berth fresh & black. Arriving by coach, probably get to Paines for around 4pm Wednesday - how easy will it be for us to find a comfortable spot away from toilets, tracks, etc?

3 hours ago, Dan Eazy said:

Damn this thread, now I must have one! 😁 

Currently stuck choosing between the 4 man with poles or the inflatable one.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/4-person-blackout-poled-tent-arpenaz-4-1-fresh-black/_/R-p-177332

Or 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/4-person-blackout-air-tent-air-seconds-4-1xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-302837?mc=8648382&c=BEIGE

Decisions, decisions! 🤔

I have to fly with it so size and weight are a big concerned for me, so tending toward the poled version, but that inflatable one just seems to take away a lot of setting-up pain. 

Does anyone know if the inflatable one (15kg) is in multiple parts so I could spread the weight over 2 suitcases?  I can take 2 x 23kgs bags checked in.

Cheers 😊

Your first choice is cheaper at Next by the way 🙂

https://www.next.co.uk/style/st729779/768466#768466

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just as a FYI, the pumps designed for tents are specifically meant to shift a fairly high volume of air to a fairly low pressure.

Bike pumps are the opposite. 

So while it’s certainly not impossible to inflate tent spars with a bike pump (assuming you can bodge the fittings) it will take a long time and will make you miserable. Do not recommend. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Are they similar to airbed pumps?

Well, no - I should have said tent spars go to a relatively low pressure: ~ 5-10 psi compared to 25+ for mountain bike tyres, much higher for roadies. 

Air beds are much lower still - I just looked it up to check and according to Decathlon they reckon 0.3-0.5 psi. 

So air bed pumps need virtually zero capability to build up pressure - they get air into the air bed but that’s about it. I guess that’s why they can be so cheap!

newmatic_footpump_1.jpg

Tent pumps do need to be able to build up pressure. Different requirements, different designs. 

UUACMIZZ3881PHA1_1.jpg

4 hours ago, TheDayman said:

20220424_163752.jpg

20220424_163908.jpg

20220424_164107.jpg

Ah the pump!

16 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Air beds are much lower still - I just looked it up to check and according to Decathlon they reckon 0.3-0.5 psi. 

Bit of a poor design choice for the tent. If you want an airbed and inflatable tent then you’re going to have to carry two types of pump

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Bit of a poor design choice for the tent. If you want an airbed and inflatable tent then you’re going to have to carry two types of pump

Nah, you can use the tent pump for air beds too. Just need to be careful not to over-inflate ‘cos you can pop them if you keep going… 😐

5 hours ago, Lakey91 said:

I am aiming to camp in Paines this year (previously only done Pennards as a large group but for complicated reasons can't do that this year) will be just me and my missus. We are looking at a 3 berth fresh & black. Arriving by coach, probably get to Paines for around 4pm Wednesday - how easy will it be for us to find a comfortable spot away from toilets, tracks, etc?

In 2017 we arrived to Paines around 4pm and it was fine, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a decent spot!

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Just as a FYI, the pumps designed for tents are specifically meant to shift a fairly high volume of air to a fairly low pressure.

Bike pumps are the opposite. 

So while it’s certainly not impossible to inflate tent spars with a bike pump (assuming you can bodge the fittings) it will take a long time and will make you miserable. Do not recommend. 🤷‍♂️

Are there any smaller air tent pumps available? Love my F+B but was a bit of a pain lugging around the giant official red one. 

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

Are there any smaller air tent pumps available? Love my F+B but was a bit of a pain lugging around the giant official red one. 

I've never seen any smaller I'm afraid 🙁 They're the same type that kitesurfers use and I'm sure if smaller pumps were available they'd use them - quite often there's a lengthy walk to suitable launch sites. Kites seem to come in a backpack with a strap for the pump on the side!

At the end of the day there's only so much clever design can do to overcome physics... When you need to get a significant volume of air moving then you need a large-ish cylinder to do it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Bought one this weekend and had a go putting up and taking down in the garden, way easier than other pop-up tents I have seen in the past to put away which is great. I also felt quite sleepy once I had zipped myself in, it's really dark! Waking up at Glastonbury could be an issue... which to be fair is better than waking up at 6am baking hot after about 1 hour of sleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Mine turned up today 😃 Weighs a fucking ton (well… 10kg) which I’m sure I’ll be cursing on the way in/walk to campsite, but other than that I’m very happy with my decision. Can’t wait to give it a test run. 

Nice 👌 That weight will be worth it!

wolf-of-wall-street-one-of-us.gif

22 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

Just bought this from Next. I owe you a pint!

don't worry about it, glad to help! someone else originally posted the next page a few pages back

----

@sime

Edited by gfa