New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

11 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

I don't have one of these - but I am howling that this thread has 24 pages. Every one I see at Glastonbury I'm gonna be like - ahuh, efester... Get Decathlon down here right now Neil and claim your sponsorship money!!! 😂

Neil should contact Decathlon and get us an exclusive discount code or something!

This is the one I have now which is great. I'm 6' 3" and whilst I can't stand up in it I still find it's plenty roomy.  It's a 4 man air one which gives me enough space particulary as I'm normally on site for over a week.  As crazyfool1 says dead easy to put up.

I previously had a 3 man pop up which I didn't like at all.  No porch and not much room inside for me and my stuff.  Combined with being a really muddy one in 2016 it only got used for 1 festival by myself. 

IMG_20190624_161818.jpg

13 hours ago, Spindles said:

I've gone for one of these:

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15986790/eurohike-cairns-3-dlx-nightfall-tent-15986790

Bit roomier than that popup for the same price.  I've used the Eurohike Avon as my festival tent for the last 20 years, has always been a good, easy to pitch and hardy tent.  This is the next model down, but with blackout.  Basically just a slightly smaller porch area with a decent sized sleeping area.

I would go for something blackout and reflective for Glasto, this one just seems to be blacked out - not sure if that'll help reflect the sun off the tent.

14 hours ago, Spindles said:

I've gone for one of these:

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15986790/eurohike-cairns-3-dlx-nightfall-tent-15986790

Bit roomier than that popup for the same price.  I've used the Eurohike Avon as my festival tent for the last 20 years, has always been a good, easy to pitch and hardy tent.  This is the next model down, but with blackout.  Basically just a slightly smaller porch area with a decent sized sleeping area.

bin that mate and get a 'fresh' one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dondo said:

This is the one I have now which is great. I'm 6' 3" and whilst I can't stand up in it I still find it's plenty roomy.  It's a 4 man air one which gives me enough space particulary as I'm normally on site for over a week.  As crazyfool1 says dead easy to put up.

I previously had a 3 man pop up which I didn't like at all.  No porch and not much room inside for me and my stuff.  Combined with being a really muddy one in 2016 it only got used for 1 festival by myself. 

IMG_20190624_161818.jpg

thats the one i have, and im 6ft 2 and tend to camp on me own as well! putting it up is an easy 5 min job, nice big porch to store everything in, decent sized bedroom thatd easily take two people in comfort, and you can mess around with the inner zipped bits to make it brighter/air it a bit. Its a belting tent and very recommended by me 👍

19 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

thats the one i have, and im 6ft 2 and tend to camp on me own as well! putting it up is an easy 5 min job, nice big porch to store everything in, decent sized bedroom thatd easily take two people in comfort, and you can mess around with the inner zipped bits to make it brighter/air it a bit. Its a belting tent and very recommended by me 👍

Which model is this one? I'm in the market for a new one, deciding on which F&B to fire at..

15 minutes ago, leej7 said:

Which model is this one? I'm in the market for a new one, deciding on which F&B to fire at..

its a Quechua air seconds 4.1xl fresh and black - somewhat surprisingly its £329 (plus you have to use the pump, which is an additional £15 i think, or borrow one off the armies of quechua owning efesters doubtlessly in attendance) which is definitely not cheap, but its a sturdy and well made tent which feels robust and like its going to last a fair while. Mine's three years old now, and you're hard pressed to see where it doesnt look brand new - other than perhaps it doesnt fit delightfully into the bag like when you first get it! i'd definitely look at a second hand one if one comes up, i really do recommend it. I've had decent tents (yer coleman type standard) and crap tents (supermarket shite) before and i think its worth putting a bit more money in up front knowing you've got a decent one. 

26 minutes ago, leej7 said:

As @balti-pie said it's a few years old so think discontinued now unfortunately.  As posted you might be able to get one off ebay, FB marketplace etc.

It was this one for reference 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUECHUA-SECONDS-FRESH-FAMILY-CAMPING/dp/B07G48G4B4

Edited by dondo

I'm frankly baffled that I've not heard of any other tent manufacturers getting in on the heat shield action.  I'd have thought "premium festival tent" was a great way to make some extra cash, and not be an oxymoron as they just race to the bottom. Festivals are in summer and loads of people stay up late and need protection from the heat as they try to sleep off a hangover.  Even if Decathlon had a patent, it would be on a particular coating, not the concept of blackout+heat protection, wouldn't it?

Either way, I never want to go back to an uninsulated* tent again, but it would be nice to have some other brands to try out.

* Is that the right word? Does it work for keeping heat out as well as keeping it in??

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm frankly baffled that I've not heard of any other tent manufacturers getting in on the heat shield action.  I'd have thought "premium festival tent" was a great way to make some extra cash, and not be an oxymoron as they just race to the bottom. Festivals are in summer and loads of people stay up late and need protection from the heat as they try to sleep off a hangover.  Even if Decathlon had a patent, it would be on a particular coating, not the concept of blackout+heat protection, wouldn't it?

Either way, I never want to go back to an uninsulated* tent again, but it would be nice to have some other brands to try out.

* Is that the right word? Does it work for keeping heat out as well as keeping it in??

This appears to be the relevant patent.

I'm not going to even attempt to comprehend it, of course.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, incident said:

This appears to be the relevant patent.

I'm not going to even attempt to comprehend it, of course.

"the internal face (4b) has a rate of emissivity (%) of far infrared radiation that is lower than the rate of emissivity (%) of far infrared radiation of the external face (4a)."

Sounds about right. Reflects heat from the outside more than the inside.

16 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Just bought this for 4 of us - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/4-person-blackout-poled-tent-arpenaz-4-2-fresh-black/_/R-p-310022

might be a bit tight for space either side for 4 blokes, but it’ll be grand we squeezed last time in a non-blackout tent (and cooked alive)

This is on my wish list, just when it's less then £250!

8 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Just bought this for 4 of us - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/4-person-blackout-poled-tent-arpenaz-4-2-fresh-black/_/R-p-310022

might be a bit tight for space either side for 4 blokes, but it’ll be grand we squeezed last time in a non-blackout tent (and cooked alive)

bit tight!! Your going to be packed like sardines in that!

8 hours ago, MaxPower said:

That will be cosy.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"the internal face (4b) has a rate of emissivity (%) of far infrared radiation that is lower than the rate of emissivity (%) of far infrared radiation of the external face (4a)."

Sounds about right. Reflects heat from the outside more than the inside.

The patent makes it seem to me it’s the concept of a thermally reflective which is patented, hence why other manufacturers haven’t been able to copy it. 

The patent expires in 2032, so brace yourselves for a rash of knock offs flooding the market in 10 years. 

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a bit more to the tents than white material on the outside and black on the inside. There is a multilayer construction of lightweight reflective materials in the outside skin.

Absolute game changer in festival camping. 

When me and my mates (who I've been festivalling with since the late 90s) all had them at BoomTown in 2019, one of them got up the following day and just said 'where's that tent been for the last 20 years?!'

1 hour ago, gfa said:

bit tight!! Your going to be packed like sardines in that!

Ach it’ll be fine, we had 6 in a 6 man last time and two lads just slept in the middle but so we’ll work it out. 

edit: in a turn of deranged behaviour, I measured my queen size bed and it’s about as wide, so reckon we’ll be fine if a bit cosy!

Edited by MaxPower

Welp, me and my partner already bought a tent that we thought was a good deal a month or so back, but after finally giving this thread a read after years of it popping up, I’m gonna request that we send that tent back and invest in one of these bad boys instead. Being somebody who usually doesn’t make it back to his tent until well into the early hours, the blackout/heat resistant element just sounds incredibly ideal. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Welp, me and my partner already bought a tent that we thought was a good deal a month or so back, but after finally giving this thread a read after years of it popping up, I’m gonna request that we send that tent back and invest in one of these bad boys instead. Being somebody who usually doesn’t make it back to his tent until well into the early hours, the blackout/heat resistant element just sounds incredibly ideal. 

Game changer mate, you won't regret it!

55 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

100% do it.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Had mine 5 years now and would never get anything different. It’s perfect for a hot Glasto when you’re going to bed after sunrise. Previous festivals I would wake up sweating 

2 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Ach it’ll be fine, we had 6 in a 6 man last time and two lads just slept in the middle but so we’ll work it out. 

edit: in a turn of deranged behaviour, I measured my queen size bed and it’s about as wide, so reckon we’ll be fine if a bit cosy!

My first (1995, we were 18) there were 3 of us in a two man tent. And it had a big hole in it too. Thank fuck it didn't rain that year. 

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

My first (1995, we were 18) there were 3 of us in a two man tent. And it had a big hole in it too. Thank fuck it didn't rain that year. 

Ha in 2014 my mate just brought a really basic pop up, he is 6ft6 and didn’t fit in it so slept with his legs hanging out the whole weekend