The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, curiouscat said:

After a new powerbank

This one any good for the price? 

Deal of the day: Anker Power Bank, 325 Portable Charger (PowerCore Essential 20K) 20000mAh Battery Pack with High-Speed PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only) for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and More https://amzn.eu/d/eFQrUEF

I have this and its solid. anker a good brand

53 minutes ago, p.pete said:

How important is the wattage on these, e.g. 18W vs 22.5W, will that be how quickly it charges your phone?  And my understanding is that the mAh is how much it's able to charge your phone, anything over 20k should last a few charges.  Then there's the weight - ordinarily I like it to feel chunky, but actually if I'm carrying it around all day!  Could play top trumps with these things...

Yeah its how long it takes to charge your phone.

if your using it over night which is what i do its not an issue

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

if your using it over night which is what i do its not an issue

Fair point, I think an overnight charge is more than enough if I can remember to plug it in, then I can carry an extra can in my bag instead for about the same weight.

1 hour ago, curiouscat said:

After a new powerbank

This one any good for the price? 

Deal of the day: Anker Power Bank, 325 Portable Charger (PowerCore Essential 20K) 20000mAh Battery Pack with High-Speed PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only) for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and More https://amzn.eu/d/eFQrUEF

Cannot comment on that particular model but I have been using Anker power banks for years and they have not let me down yet.

9 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Hey! Any recommendations for a good, yet easy to carry, sleeping mattress? I often wake up at Glastonbury with an aching back from uneven hard ground beneath me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BQ6Y3552/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the thinner version last year which was ok, but upgraded for more comfort this year. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Hey! Any recommendations for a good, yet easy to carry, sleeping mattress? I often wake up at Glastonbury with an aching back from uneven hard ground beneath me.

I've had a cheap, thin self inflating mat for a few years now and it's served it's purpose, but last year started to really feel it the next morning so splashed out on a Berghaus one when it was heavily discounted - still not cheap, and not particularly compact, but it's my one little luxury and concession to the fact that I'm not 18 anymore! 

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15979402/berghaus-single-self-inflating-mat-15979402/?istCompanyId=d92b362f-ac8a-4a8a-87ca-c56eafad7955&istFeedId=3fde8ad3-82b3-4621-b16b-12df7273ade2&istItemId=ilprmqltx&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjw36GjBhAkEiwAKwIWyXm7t9W3zsBynD6YpnEITqsaJ1KDvwas-Fv61i5rBjDQ6fx3zat-sxoCHQQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Think I picked it up for about £80 with a voucher code. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:04 PM, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Waterproof Wudhu (Masah) Socks, a cheaper alternative to sealskinz socks, tried and tested, about £13 free p n p on ebay

Islamic socks update...

I'd never heard of these things until reading the post above, so decided at £11.50 per pair, it was worth a punt.  Have since put them to a comprehensive test (a few nights camping with wet ground, very hot temperatures and walking around on sharp/rough terrain without shoes) and they're still comfortable, dry and no sign of wear and tear.  Despite the eBay listing describing them as being for this Islamic foot-washing ritual, the actual packaging simply describes them as waterproof breathable outdoor activities socks.

Thanks for the heads-up: very happy with these.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, 2019 said:

Last year I was conscious of my aluminium water bottle wanging around like a robotic shlong on a carabineer and annoying other punters when I was bouncing to Amyl/Yard/Sports etc. 

Are there any recommendations to keeping 1or2 Ltrs secure in the mosh pit?

Got a silicon collapsible thing. Once it’s empty you can stick it in your pocket. Though only 500ml and probably makes the water taste ‘different’. 

• Thanks 1

I have been looking for a small lantern for my tent. Amazon have a twin pack of the Eveready collapsible lanterns reduced from £25 to £21  at the moment which look decent,. The have an additional light on the top so they can also be used as a torch. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Eveready-Collapsible-Lantern-Pack/dp/B086QG8VBQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=THPYF0ES7RUG&keywords=Eveready+lantern&qid=1684742381&sprefix=eveready%20lantern%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

0553F5C0-6B7B-4E3E-8DC3-3B4DE6F379BF.jpeg

15 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Islamic socks update...

I'd never heard of these things until reading the post above, so decided at £11.50 per pair, it was worth a punt.  Have since put them to a comprehensive test (a few nights camping with wet ground, very hot temperatures and walking around on sharp/rough terrain without shoes) and they're still comfortable, dry and no sign of wear and tear.  Despite the eBay listing describing them as being for this Islamic foot-washing ritual, the actual packaging simply describes them as waterproof breathable outdoor activities socks.

Thanks for the heads-up: very happy with these.

Have you got a link for the ones you bought?

I saw a few of these knocking about last year and thought they seemed a decent idea.  

The StoolPal Portable Telescopic Stool - Sturdy Retractable Folding Chair - Collapsible Telescoping Seat with Anti-Slip Bottom - Lightweight camping, BBQ, Travel, Hunting, Fishing Telescope Stools : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

If it stays dry I'd just plonk down on the ground or benches if I can find space, but if the ground's wet this seemed a reasonable option.  Anyone tried them?  Decent or tat?

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I saw a few of these knocking about last year and thought they seemed a decent idea.  

The StoolPal Portable Telescopic Stool - Sturdy Retractable Folding Chair - Collapsible Telescoping Seat with Anti-Slip Bottom - Lightweight camping, BBQ, Travel, Hunting, Fishing Telescope Stools : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

If it stays dry I'd just plonk down on the ground or benches if I can find space, but if the ground's wet this seemed a reasonable option.  Anyone tried them?  Decent or tat?

My wife has mobility issues so needs to take breaks. These are a Lot easier than lugging a chair about and can be used a stool too

3 hours ago, SighMo said:

Anyone got any recommendations for plastic bottles to decant spirits into? I bought a pack of 4 last year but although ok, they seem a bit brittle and one did leak through the lid.

I got some flexi bottles from sports direct last year, take up less space than a hard plastic bottle and can roll up when empty to bring home.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SighMo said:

Anyone got any recommendations for plastic bottles to decant spirits into? I bought a pack of 4 last year but although ok, they seem a bit brittle and one did leak through the lid.

just use empty tonic water etc bottles - they are built to resist pressurised contents, so will easily cope with some rum.

• Like 1