The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

4 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

you looked at sleeping pods ? they have a bit more wriggle room than a standard sleeping bag 

thanks, those look great. although trying to be as light as possible as going by coach and those look to be a bit heavier... but might be worth it. i'll think on it!

34 minutes ago, svphie said:

thanks, those look great. although trying to be as light as possible as going by coach and those look to be a bit heavier... but might be worth it. i'll think on it!

The bulk might be more an issue but I like em and am getting the bus with mine 

2 hours ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outwell-caress-single-sleeping-system.html

I have one of these bought off eBay. I sleep on my side and never got on with sleeping bags. I end up unzipping the bag and laying it flat.

Also looking into camping quilts, they attach directly to airbed and give a lot more room.

I'm in a van now so just use a normal duvet but heard good things about camping quilts.

Like you, when I used sleeping bags of just end up having to unzip and use like a quilt 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

You actually get the anker for 18.39, there's a 10% voucher to select

2 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

cheap power bank on Amazon (£10).  I have a similar one and works quite well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KW2P3B8/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1&tag=pepperegc-21&ascsubtag=2511502293

there was 55% off it earlier ( down to under £10), but this seems to have gone now. 🙂

• Like 1

At least Anker's power banks can't upload unencrypted video of your home to their servers for storage without your knowledge... 

But if you still want to support a company that would do this, give absolutely anybody access to the footage, and flat out lie about it multiple times, then at least stay away from their Eufy camera range. 🙈😂 

(In case it's unclear, this post  is partly tongue in cheek, and partly a "btw, did you know that they did this." I still buy Anker power products, because they're reliable... I won't be buying their cameras though!) 

On 5/2/2023 at 8:10 AM, Vulpes vulpes said:

https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outwell-caress-single-sleeping-system.html

I have one of these bought off eBay. I sleep on my side and never got on with sleeping bags. I end up unzipping the bag and laying it flat.

Also looking into camping quilts, they attach directly to airbed and give a lot more room.

Been looking at these, are they worth it? 

4 hours ago, Leon_Anthony said:

Been looking at these, are they worth it? 

I’m a bit older now, and try to get the best night’s sleep I can. The best nights sleep comes from getting as close to your home setup as possible.

If you sleep on your side they provide much more room to turn around in.  The pack size is bigger, but not when you consider it’s an airbed, quilt and pillow in-one. I’m taking an extra pillow as it’s to flat for me. 

I’ve got mates that sleep with a jacket as a blanket and rolled up jumper as a pillow. I’m my 20’s maybe, now I’m over 40. Forget it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

I’m a bit older now, and try to get the best night’s sleep I can. The best nights sleep comes from getting as close to your home setup as possible.

If you sleep on your side they provide much more room to turn around in.  The pack size is bigger, but not when you consider it’s an airbed, quilt and pillow in-one. I’m taking an extra pillow as it’s to flat for me. 

I’ve got mates that sleep with a jacket as a blanket and rolled up jumper as a pillow. I’m my 20’s maybe, now I’m over 40. Forget it.

Find it warm enough? 

Aldi's Outdoor Adventures sale starts tomorrow morning online and next Sunday in store. Highlights include an ultra compact chair with ground mat for £15, the compact (ie 1 inch thick) self inflating mat for £15, large backpacks for £15, walking boots for £20, jackets for £18 plus socks, flasks, etc.

51 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Aldi's Outdoor Adventures sale starts tomorrow morning online and next Sunday in store. Highlights include an ultra compact chair with ground mat for £15, the compact (ie 1 inch thick) self inflating mat for £15, large backpacks for £15, walking boots for £20, jackets for £18 plus socks, flasks, etc.

If that chair with groundsheet is any good that's excellent value. Think I payed about a tenner just for a groundsheet first my chair. It might be a little heavy compared to the pricier ones but should still be ok for Glastonbury.

Think Lidl have a camping sale starting tomorrow too

57 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

If that chair with groundsheet is any good that's excellent value. Think I payed about a tenner just for a groundsheet first my chair. It might be a little heavy compared to the pricier ones but should still be ok for Glastonbury.

Think Lidl have a camping sale starting tomorrow too

It says 820g on the online leaflet.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:01 AM, buddiepaul said:

cheap power bank on Amazon (£10).  I have a similar one and works quite well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KW2P3B8/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1&tag=pepperegc-21&ascsubtag=2511502293

On 5/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, Jacksamthompson said:

Worth saying that 10k won't cut it unless your really sparse with phone use. I would say i don't touch mine much bar finding people and maybe some apple pay - 20k is good for me

53 minutes ago, gfa said:

Worth saying that 10k won't cut it unless your really sparse with phone use. I would say i don't touch mine much bar finding people and maybe some apple pay - 20k is good for me

also helps to put your phone into battery saving mode - if I put my phone into Ultra Battery Saver it says it lasts 74hr but then its only really good for texts and calls , which is fine. You can add apps back but obviously they then use a bit more battery.

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

also helps to put your phone into battery saving mode - if I put my phone into Ultra Battery Saver it says it lasts 74hr but then its only really good for texts and calls , which is fine. You can add apps back but obviously they then use a bit more battery.

Deleting all your apps for the weekend won't make any difference / a noticeable difference btw 🙂 even if they are open in the background modern phones just freeze them and they use up nothing i think

74 hours is pretty crazy - mine will do a day just about then charge overnight. depends how long is spent trying to find people though etc

36 minutes ago, gfa said:

Deleting all your apps for the weekend won't make any difference / a noticeable difference btw 🙂 even if they are open in the background modern phones just freeze them and they use up nothing i think

74 hours is pretty crazy - mine will do a day just about then charge overnight. depends how long is spent trying to find people though etc

yeah it doesnt delete them but shuts them all down so they arent receiving / sending any data so it saves the hassle of unistalling them all, I think its the apps that need your location that use alot aswell like the health apps and shopping apps like asda,screwfix,toolstation,argos. Just looked and ive got 126 apps 🤣

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

yeah it doesnt delete them but shuts them all down so they arent receiving / sending any data so it saves the hassle of unistalling them all, I think its the apps that need your location that use alot aswell like the health apps and shopping apps like asda,screwfix,toolstation,argos. Just looked and ive got 126 apps 🤣

Ahh i guess yeah, getting locations off would likely help a lot

On 4/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, Boris said:

I have similar.. it has a high back which makes it comfier so it's a little bigger folded up.. but no ground mat. Definitely the best comfort/small/light option IMHO.

I've seen lots of those lightweight folding chairs. Those I've seen recommended tended to be more elaborate, larger and more expensive than I wanted for something with such occasional use - I don't go camping any other time. 

This is about half the price of others I looked at, gets good reviews and is still light, quick to erect (ph'narr), has a small footprint (to not offend other attendees) and strong enough to support my average height and pudding tummy. 

https://amzn.eu/d/hZUp8dj

71N6haDOMLS.jpg

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

I've seen lots of those lightweight folding chairs. Those I've seen recommended tended to be more elaborate, larger and more expensive than I wanted for something with such occasional use - I don't go camping any other time. 

This is about half the price of others I looked at, gets good reviews and is still light, quick to erect (ph'narr), has a small footprint (to not offend other attendees) and strong enough to support my average height and pudding tummy. 

https://amzn.eu/d/hZUp8dj

71N6haDOMLS.jpg

Pudding tummies dint work well with these chairs they sink pretty easy, the floor needs to be solid , if not you will be sat on the floor with all chair legs sunk 

40 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

Pudding tummies dint work well with these chairs they sink pretty easy, the floor needs to be solid , if not you will be sat on the floor with all chair legs sunk 

Saves it blowing over though — which they do very easily. Had to pull mine off a fire more than once.