The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 5/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, mazola said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charmast-30000mAh-Portable-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B08Y6XBM8X

Bought this couple of weeks ago, was £25 but looks like it has gone up

Used it exclusively to charge my phone when i got it to see how long it would last, got 10 days out of it!

There's a lightning deal on this for the next 4 hours - back to £25. 

9 hours ago, Littlechef87 said:

There's loads of this sort of mat on Amazon/eBay etc from no-name brands for much less. I don't think 'Mattress Pro' is a proper outdoors brand either (I might be wrong, but it's no Thermarest etc) so the Amazon/eBay ones will probably be just as good, but half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=camping+mat&crid=XQF5RGAS3F41&sprefix=camping+ma%2Caps%2C486&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 

2 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

Can anyone recommend any blackout tent sheets to keep your tent cool once the sun comes up? I struggled last year with the heat and friends who had blackout tents seemed to be nice and cool.

Decathlon sell (or used to sell) a Fresh and Black tarp that came with poles and guy lines. You could potentially rig it over your regular tent, but it might get knocked over if people tripped on the guy lines.

I'd be wary of just draping it over your existing tent as it would block some ventilation and could make your heat problem worse rather than better!

2 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

Decathlon sell (or used to sell) a Fresh and Black tarp that came with poles and guy lines. You could potentially rig it over your regular tent, but it might get knocked over if people tripped on the guy lines.

I'd be wary of just draping it over your existing tent as it would block some ventilation and could make your heat problem worse rather than better!

Yeah. Best to get a proper F&B tent where it's designed in. Improvising on top won't have nearly the same effect.

4 hours ago, offmytrolley said:

I have this tarp from Decathlon second life, was good, sturdy with the poles and tightening straps. Only went over part of the tent but worked well for an extended awning area too. Would recommend

21 hours ago, Harry MonkFish said:

Any bed advice? I'm fed up with being...let down by air mattresses (sorry). 

I thought about a camp bed type thing. But I am a fat bastard so that probably doesn't help me here. 

Well, as a fellow HFB I use one of these Colman airbeds. Takes up less space than a double, but still big enough. Get a small pump to blow it up.

I presume you have a sleeping bag sorted. I like to take a space blanket to put underneath me if it's cold at night like last year.

Lots of people like camping beds, but I've not found one wide enough that also collapses down small enough. Pads are great for shorter trips, but I find they just don't work well for me. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Adult-Durarest-Single-Blue/dp/B0118677CI/ref=sr_1_17?crid=25DK033ZYCANK&keywords=Coleman+Airbed+Extra+Durable+Single&qid=1685525851&sprefix=coleman+airbed+extra+durable+single%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-17

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLEXTAILGEAR-Portable-Rechargeable-Lightest-Inflatables/dp/B087TFYNHG/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3BRUTO48H6ISS&keywords=flextailgear%2Bportable%2Bair%2Bpump&qid=1685526035&sprefix=flextailgear%2Bportable%2Bair%2Bpump%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-17&th=1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, mazola said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charmast-30000mAh-Portable-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B08Y6XBM8X

Bought this couple of weeks ago, was £25 but looks like it has gone up

Used it exclusively to charge my phone when i got it to see how long it would last, got 10 days out of it!

Bought this one also at £25 delivered. Impressed. 

Tested it yesterday. 

Samsung X cover at 15% battery. Charged to 100% in 1hr 45 min. 

This used 16% of the charger.

The digital display is really good.

28 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

Tested it yesterday. 

Hey, nice to see some informative test data 👍

1 hour ago, Cleetus said:

Tested it yesterday. 

I've had this one for over a year and it has been excellent.

Just bought the slightly smaller (26800) and lighter version - really nice but no digital display

Possibly a bit niche, but as i'm in my caravan ...

I got this to pair with one of those black bag solar showers:

image.png.a8fc903f5f13cc7c69c42a854d4c9a85.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3929326?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have a 'pop up shower tent' that someone gave me a few years back, plan is to decant the hot/warm water from the shower bag and spray myself down 😄

19 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

He he, did a search, only match I found was you. 

BTW one of the reviews days 27000 is the limit for a plane, which this exceeds, in case you need that. 

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

😁 ..thanks. Wouldn't have picked up on the plane limit if you hadn't mentioned it.

Did a search https://www.powerbankexpert.com/faa-tsa-rules-bring-portable-chargers-airplane/

"You can take any power bank under 100Wh (under 27000 mAh) without any type of special approval" 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

Possibly a bit niche, but as i'm in my caravan ...

I got this to pair with one of those black bag solar showers:

image.png.a8fc903f5f13cc7c69c42a854d4c9a85.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3929326?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have a 'pop up shower tent' that someone gave me a few years back, plan is to decant the hot/warm water from the shower bag and spray myself down 😄

ive got a slightly bigger one and they do the job really well .... swim shorts and eco shower gel ... perfect 

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

ive got a slightly bigger one and they do the job really well .... swim shorts and eco shower gel ... perfect 

neat, hopefully it'll also be useful to cool down with the totally hot weather that will be happening 🙂

On 5/30/2023 at 12:52 PM, Tr234 said:

Can anyone recommend any blackout tent sheets to keep your tent cool once the sun comes up? I struggled last year with the heat and friends who had blackout tents seemed to be nice and cool.

buy a fresh and black tent from Decathlon is my advice, I got one in 2019 would never go back to a normal tent now.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2023 at 12:52 PM, Tr234 said:

Count yourself lucky they haven't chased you out of town with pitchforks for not yet boarding the team F&B bus

• Like 1