So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Although there were no acts for me this year that absolutely blew me away, there were many that I enjoyed a lot, I think I paced it well and spent more time wandering through T&C etc. than I did in 2022.

I think not investigating loads of names on the lineup helped. My first run through on Clashfinder gave me enough to see, why add to the pain?

tldr, 2023 felt like one for the ages, bring on 2024.

Interestingly this year I had very few must sees but I did the opposite of you and did investigate the line up quite a lot and ended up with a very, very large amount of like to sees which with the hot weather was a bit of a blessing.

I tend to do it most years now where apart from having a couple of must sees just have lots of options. I had 7 way clashes at certain points but all just things I'd be happy to see. Meant that I could pick acts close together or where there was shade. I ended up picking some acts that sitting at home me probably wouldn't have chosen because of weather practicalities etc and some of them ended up being really great.

I think as you get older my key strategy is be willing to be flexible and don't be too rigid in your plans. I'm definitely not ready to give up yet but this year as I said goodbye to the farm I definitely felt a little more like it might be in the lap of the ticket gods whether I will be back next year rather than taking it for granted that I will be there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There were a few moments particularly on Saturday where the blazing sun and heat got to me and I thought that I couldn't do another one. But those moments were very much counteracted with lots of moments of sheer joy and happiness especially during sets.  I'll be there on ticket day for sure. 

50 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Watching Henge in the SE corner was fun at 2 ish on Monday morning. 

That was a great gig. 

I followed it by throwing shapes with my kids, @squirrelarmy, Ed and various others in The Temple until it finally closed and we were all shooed out. 

The evicted crowd walking down the railway line was like a scene from Night Of The Living Dead. 

• Upvote 4

It’s not only missing the festival that worries me. For that weekend, tv and social media focuses on nothing but it - like it’s the centre of the earth. I’ll have to take steps to go off grid for the weekend, camping up the lakes or something. I really don’t think I could cope with it being in my face all weekend.

My first was 1982 and been to everyone since (accept 2009) worked since 1999. I have a different time now than when I started, however some of it still feels the same on the inside . No intention of giving up until I can't and want my ashes spread there. Had such a great year this year. Go with Mrs Q and it is so nice to be away from everything and just the two of us, although we are with loads of friends, but think you understand. Was asked on Sunday what was my favorite bit and always is having a laugh with my wife.

As a nod to my old days I woke on Friday morning this year at 8.30 and went back to sleep on Sunday morning at 4.30. Back up at 9.30. Nothing like the old days which would have been a big bag of wizz. Just Saturday morning could not get to sleep. Odd. Maybe too many good sleeps from the Sunday I went on.

• Upvote 1

I'm another late starter, my first was 2009 at the age of 48.  I think I missed a couple since then but I stopped counting ages ago.  I missed out on 2020 which I had thought would be my last (after all I would have been nearly 60 then). But i wasn't ready to go out and thanks to my good friend @Tranquility of Solitudegot lucky for 2023.  

My hubby is not very fit now so it did make it a different experience for us.  I did get to dance a bit and drew some admirers from the younger generation but I think they were being nice. The admirers from the slightly older folks were more genuine 😁

So I think I'm ready to call it a day and go out on a high.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I did get to dance a bit and drew some admirers from the younger generation but I think they were being nice. 

I regularly get admiration from the younger generation, esp in the early hours. Not sure they're "just being nice", I get the feeling that there's genuine surprise and admiration that an old git can still "go large". I also think it gives them hope that they can still be doing the same in 30/40 years time.

• Like 5

'23 was my 18th. 17 in a row' 98 to '17 unbroken : ticket less in '19 (had ticket in basket but payment wouldn't process) and '22.

I'm 71 so stopped 'stage hopping' some time ago, but still prefer to be up-frontish. 

I'm not looking to hang up my wellies yet

And incidentally doing 2 other fests this year. 

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I regularly get admiration from the younger generation, esp in the early hours. Not sure they're "just being nice", I get the feeling that there's genuine surprise and admiration that an old git can still "go large". I also think it gives them hope that they can still be doing the same in 30/40 years time.

Our group were all dancing to K-Klass on Sunday (best thing we saw all weekend) and were probably among the youngest there, which given we’re all 40ish is rare. 

There was a load of ravers in their 50s and 60s having a shimmy. 

We all agreed there and then that we’ll keep going to Glasto as long as we can! 

• Upvote 1

I’m very much of the ‘I’ll be going as long as they’ll have me, and as long as I’m physically able” school of thought - going to download two weeks before Glastonbury did mean I was always physically on the back foot, I was already a bit knackered and now I’m even more bloody knackered and taking ages to recover! Stewarding on top of the normal festival movement does mean for a lot of steps, a lot of time on the old feet, and not a lot of recovery time. There’s always something to see and do. 

Amazing memories though, and fitness can of course be worked on 👍 

42 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Watching Cat Stevens a couple of young lads standing behind us took a video of us  having a wee ‘romantic moment’ during morning has broken. They sent me the video! We chatted to them after the set and they were genuinely interested in our past experiences at the festival , what it was like, did we smoke weed, etc etc. advised them to cherish every moment of the festival. They were going to call their mum about meeting us!  The last thing they said to us was that they would never forget us. We wished them a wonderful life,

just one of those great glastonbury moments, and why it would be a difficult decision to give up going.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 10

If I don't get in next year I don't think I'll miss it (I know this will probably be bollocks, if or when I see the build up and then finally see glasto on the bbc/tv)

I've been since 2002 and 2023 was the first time I've done it full on solo. I did like it and the experiance was different

I volunteered with oxfam this year (2nd time) and I highly recommend it to everyone and I also worked with Green Fields in 2022 (loved that as well) - I think I much prefer to volunteer in my older years, it really helps in forcing me to tone down the drinking

I'm in my 50's and this is the first year it's taken my body over a week to recover - I really, really suffered (no thanks to my daft decisions to join the mosh pits at QoTSA and royal blood!!!)

I was a physical and mental wreck going home on monday - yeay to glasto

Edited by bob323

Pretty much.

We talked when we got home, decided we were leaning towards not going again. Then an hour later decided we weren’t ready to let go. Then watched the highlights and just felt nothing.

Last year it felt too busy and not like the Glastonbury I loved, & I thought we’d give it another go, & it was better this year. Overall though, just not enough. 

I didn’t feel the old excitement on the way there, but I had a great time at TWFTPU, having attempted a couple of flavoured vodkas for the first time, I enjoyed sharing them and chatting drunkenly to random strangers.  We got fun shifts on PGC which flew by even if the overall shift pattern wasn’t the greatest. I enjoyed music from Panic Shack who I’d never heard of or seen before, through to Elton John who’s been famous almost my whole life. I had a Glastonbury cry at Raye.

I loved that I spoke to loads of young people, and people who hadn’t been going for as long as me who described it as magical. I’m so happy that it’s still magical for so many people, but it just isn’t for me anymore. It’s just another festival that I love, but with loads more walking, and with so many people wanting volunteer places let alone tickets, it just feels like it’s time to move over and let some other people experience the magic. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time, I wasn’t wandering round with a face like a slapped arse, but it’s the people who think it’s magical that bring the magic, and that’s who should be there!

Finally, for a quarter of a century Fat Boy Slim has always clashed with someone we wanted to see more, or appeared at a stage we couldn’t get anywhere near, but this time we saw him at The Park, a great Glastonbury sunset setting, and he was better than we ever thought he would be. It felt like a sign - Glastonbury - completed it mate. x

Edited by amfy
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Watching Henge in the SE corner was fun at 2 ish on Monday morning. Back to the tent at half 3.

The 6am wake up for the car ride back.. not good.

Same here - went from Henge back to pack up for trip back and was f**ked. Didnt sleep - just carried on until I was out. Got back to Bath and slept for 5 hours.

• Upvote 1