Searches at the entrance gates

gooner1990

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Not sure if this is a change of wording to usual, but that looks like to me they are saying everyone will be searched going in this year….could cause the queues to be a lot longer if true.

IMG_5267.png

This page is from 4th June 2022

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/think-before-you-pack-for-this-years-festival/

Yup something like this comes up fairly often. I imagine they have a quota they need to fill, so many searches an hour per say. 

I've only been searched once and that was on re-entry with a backpack as we took tents in first. Its physically impossible for them to search every single person going in, especially on the Wednesday when its a constant stream of people until early evening. 

They say stuff like  ‘increased security’ every year to put the shits up people, but it’s always business as usual. I remember there being a bit of worry leading up to 2017 due to the Manchester Arena bombing and them stressing that there would be stricter searches, but there weren’t, and I walked in faster than ever.

• Upvote 1

We got pulled in for a search once, after the had got through our first rucksack we offered up the second.  The look on security guy's face was priceless "Just get out of here". I blame my middle aged scouse husband for opening his mouth in earshot.

And before anyone says anything about stereotypes, I will defend the wonderful Liverpool folks till the end of the day. But I'm allowed to tease my OH x

• Upvote 2

I'm sure it's a legal requirement that all entrants agree that they could be subject to a search on entry.

I've been searched twice: once on entering on a locals ticket and once on re-entry, so never on a standard entry. In both cases the queuing was minimal, so they had the time, and I had the patience to do it. However, I expect that if the queues are long they would not search everyone for obvious reasons.

Of course, I was bringing nothing elicit in, so no sweat.

32 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yup something like this comes up fairly often. I imagine they have a quota they need to fill, so many searches an hour per say. 

I've only been searched once and that was on re-entry with a backpack as we took tents in first. Its physically impossible for them to search every single person going in, especially on the Wednesday when its a constant stream of people until early evening. 

They tried everyone last year at gate opening! By about 9 they weren't searching everyone as the queue wasn't moving!

Edited by efcfanwirral

18 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I'm sure it's a legal requirement that all entrants agree that they could be subject to a search on entry.

I've been searched twice: once on entering on a locals ticket and once on re-entry, so never on a standard entry. In both cases the queuing was minimal, so they had the time, and I had the patience to do it. However, I expect that if the queues are long they would not search everyone for obvious reasons.

Of course, I was bringing nothing elicit in, so no sweat.

Not sure its optional mate 😄

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

Not sure its optional mate 😄

Ha. I think I meant that as I hadn't been queueing for hours already I was in good enough spirits to accommodate it without any personal frustration. If only I was in a position to refuse such searches on my own personal whim.

• Like 1

Worst searches I experienced were in 2017 for Worthy View, bag thoroughly searched on entry to the campsite & then queues up to an hour down the steps whilst security searched everyone and their bags before getting into site every day.

Whenever I've queued overnight at ped gate D (4 times I think), I've had my bags searched every time. I guess as it's early, they need to at least look like they are making an effort. The searches never take long and they are generally looking for sharp objects or glass. I've always had other less legal items in there and never been an issue.

My other 2 festivals I took the coach. No searches at all at ped gate A as simply too many people at the time I arrived.

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

They say stuff like  ‘increased security’ every year to put the shits up people, but it’s always business as usual. I remember there being a bit of worry leading up to 2017 due to the Manchester Arena bombing and them stressing that there would be stricter searches, but there weren’t, and I walked in faster than ever.

Not sure where and when you arrived - buy my experience of 2017 was the exact opposite. Went through Gate A on Wednesday at ~9am and found security was noticeably increased, with it slowing entry significantly compared to previous years.

Anecdotally I think it may have been relaxed a bit later on, but at that point security were talking to ("have you got anything dodgy? no glass?") a majority of the people going through the gate and patting down their rucksacks - creating a noticeable bottleneck.

7 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure where and when you arrived - buy my experience of 2017 was the exact opposite. Went through Gate A on Wednesday at ~9am and found security was noticeably increased, with it slowing entry significantly compared to previous years.

Anecdotally I think it may have been relaxed a bit later on, but at that point security were talking to ("have you got anything dodgy? no glass?") a majority of the people going through the gate and patting down their rucksacks - creating a noticeable bottleneck.

Thought the same to a certain degree in 2017, arrived through gate A and they were searching a fair few bags. I’d say that was way more than 2019/2022, but just what I observed at the gates. 

I think "subject to search" means that you should be prepared for it but it's not necessarily going to happen. When we were driving into the car park one year, in a convoy of three or four cars, I got pulled for search randomly, said to the security guy "Oh no, going to lose my friends" and he just waved me through. I wasn't trying to hide anything, just didn't want to lose the rest of the group! 

I'm more concerned about the Sticklinch rules. We're only allowed to take in as much alcohol as we can carry. If we can carry it on a sack truck is that OK? It'll probably be one crate of lager and a box of wine!

On 6/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, Lizzim said:

We got pulled in for a search once, after the had got through our first rucksack we offered up the second.  The look on security guy's face was priceless "Just get out of here". I blame my middle aged scouse husband for opening his mouth in earshot.

And before anyone says anything about stereotypes, I will defend the wonderful Liverpool folks till the end of the day. But I'm allowed to tease my OH x

To be fair, if they searched every middle aged scouser going in then they would be dealing with half the festival.

#scousefest