Acts Ruled Out Of Glastonbury 2024

stanh

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's the model, isn't it? Bands with several members have to do multiple gigs across the smaller stages in order to club together enough tickets to make it work.

Last year even Mik Artistik had the Sword of Damocles hanging over him.

Yes - but the same band is booked this year for Boomtown, Solfest, Mucky Weekender, Guilfest.  Based on what they've said getting up to 10 x more for each of these other shows.  So it does question the model.  

Just now, stuie said:

Yes - but the same band is booked this year for Boomtown, Solfest, Mucky Weekender, Guilfest.  Based on what they've said getting up to 10 x more for each of these other shows.  So it does question the model.  

The difference being that those aren't attended by pretty much the entire UK music industry, and acts are (generally speaking) less likely to stick around for their own enjoyment.

Nobody should be criticising them for saying "we're not willing to do this anymore" as that's a fair stance to take - but as mentioned above they're one of the ones that have benefitted in the past, and there's countless bands prepared to take their place. So on balance the model still holds.

• Like 2

As well as being a music festival, it also a music industry conference that will see lots of deals and talks take place. 

that also why quite a few acts will do it for cheap. It might mean they get a “glasto moment” and it leads to bigger things. 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep there are plenty of small acts at Glastonbury who probably tour all year and get paid based on fans acquired at Glastonbury.

Yeah there's loads of those about. A good example of this would be OMG It's the Church. Started out as a bit of fun on the Hell/Truth (whatever it was called at the time) Stage, word spread fast, and at this point they're a festival staple getting booked all over the place (for presumably a lot more money than Glastonbury ever gave them).

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah there's loads of those about. A good example of this would be OMG It's the Church. Started out as a bit of fun on the Hell/Truth (whatever it was called at the time) Stage, word spread fast, and at this point they're a festival staple getting booked all over the place (for presumably a lot more money than Glastonbury ever gave them).

And still fantastic live. Lucky to see them at WOMAD and at Bristol before Christmas 

3 hours ago, incident said:

Yep Showhawk Duo are another example. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think unfortunately the festival has an over-reliance on "friends of the festival", which is making certain areas/sets a little stale. From smaller acts, like Mik, Beans, Lekkido to DJs like Cox and Norm, right up to headliners like Chris and the lads. I'm sure there are lots more. Tradition is one thing, repetition because they're cheap or free is another

Combination of stuff brings that about that boils down to doing it on the cheap. Not that you'd know from the ticket prices.

29 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

No Gwen or No Doubt 😭

IMG_0171.jpeg

No Doubt people will be disappointed by this, but Let me Blow Ya Mind, Underneath It All, she's Just A Girl. She would have been Hella Good though. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2024 at 11:57 AM, stuie said:

But would they be getting booked for all these at full rate if not for glasto exposure?

mik artistik played my wedding for a full fee and very lovely they were too. Glasto is purely a shop window for them.

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

But would they be getting booked for all these at full rate if not for glasto exposure?

mik artistik played my wedding for a full fee and very lovely they were too. Glasto is purely a shop window for them.

I do agree with your point - I mentioned earlier in the thread that they got signed by Universal after their show in Rum Shack. I imagine it’s a difficult thing to quantify and therefore as artists progress the 10% for 2 shows becomes less appealing.