Acts Ruled Out Of Glastonbury 2024

stanh

5 minutes ago, Jarski75 said:

Idles are now listed on their website (home page, not 'tour' page) as playing Lido Sounds, Austria 28 - 30 Jun, plus a date in Italy for Flowers Festival on the 29th.  

I thought they were a guaranteed shoe in for 2024.  Gutted

I think that is the full festival dates (Fri to Sun), they are playing Austria on the Sunday. So still free on the Friday but that seems a stretch, there was an article recently about acts worried about being stuck getting through customs etc. 

Screenshot_20231212_091515_Chrome.thumb.jpg.657403b67131216c77b1cd50a96e6e24.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think that is the full festival dates (Fri to Sun), they are playing Austria on the Sunday. So still free on the Friday but that seems a stretch, there was an article recently about acts worried about being stuck getting through customs etc. 

Screenshot_20231212_091515_Chrome.thumb.jpg.657403b67131216c77b1cd50a96e6e24.jpg

Hmmmm, it does look unlikely, doesn't it? Maybe waiting until 2025 for the Other Stage headline slot?*

* Subject to the success of this album and tour, of course

It'll be interesting to see if many acts do the UK one day, Europe the next thing this year. Possibly the article (which I now can't find) was scare mongering a bit, but if I was a promoter, I'd be worried about an act I had booked playing the other side of the channel the day before my gig.

Lots of factors of course, easier for DJs, solo artists etc. but a band getting all their equipment across in the summer could be a problem.

In similar news, Sam Smith is in Paris Friday, Austria Sunday. Reckon he's now out the running.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hmmmm, it does look unlikely, doesn't it? Maybe waiting until 2025 for the Other Stage headline slot?*

* Subject to the success of this album and tour, of course

Think I mentioned previous that I had a feeling they were gonna give this festival a miss after playing two out of the last three. Don’t see them getting that Other headline slot but agree they’ll probably be back in ‘25.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

It'll be interesting to see if many acts do the UK one day, Europe the next thing this year. Possibly the article (which I now can't find) was scare mongering a bit, but if I was a promoter, I'd be worried about an act I had booked playing the other side of the channel the day before my gig.

Lots of factors of course, easier for DJs, solo artists etc. but a band getting all their equipment across in the summer could be a problem.

In similar news, Sam Smith is in Paris Friday, Austria Sunday. Reckon he's now out the running.

Wasn't a lot of the scare because of the Japanese Breakfast experience last year?  They played Saturday evening (I think in Luxembourg or similar), then struggled to get band and equipment by road to Glastonbury, for a midday Other Stage slot.  Which would have been a bit of a stretch even before Brexit customs checks etc.

I assume Idles (and the economics around the size of slots they play) would have one or both of (a) 2 sets of gear, and (b) ability to fly the band members around as needed.  So I'd still put this as quite doable - albeit starting to look unlikely.

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Think I mentioned previous that I had a feeling they were gonna give this festival a miss after playing two out of the last three. Don’t see them getting that Other headline slot but agree they’ll probably be back in ‘25.

I'm with you, I think they will skip this year because it is too soon to return. Also, they are playing a lot of gigs this year, their itinerary is packed. 

On 12/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, Gnomicide said:

acts getting stuck at customs mostly seems to be for foreign acts - and specifically entering the uk.

Leaving the uk is less of an issue i think

On 12/19/2023 at 10:08 AM, gfa said:

acts getting stuck at customs mostly seems to be for foreign acts - and specifically entering the uk.

Leaving the uk is less of an issue i think

I work in the industry and flying out of the UK is as much as an issue as flying in.

The customs paperwork isn't such an issue.. It's the almost certain delays, missed connections and lost luggage that would make it a massive risk for an artist to fly in on the day. Can't see Idles performing, or any other large artist that is in another country the day before or after.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Latitude lie constantly about this kind of stuff so take with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to Glastonbury, but Kasabian are apparently a UK festival exclusive for them: 

https://x.com/latitudefest/status/1737806355132555414?s=46&t=iaGP6ZGqnTnA42DDzuUIgQ

Kasabian are very much ripe for a secret set tbh

On 12/21/2023 at 1:14 PM, FloopFiller said:

Latitude lie constantly about this kind of stuff so take with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to Glastonbury, but Kasabian are apparently a UK festival exclusive for them: 

https://x.com/latitudefest/status/1737806355132555414?s=46&t=iaGP6ZGqnTnA42DDzuUIgQ

Good, hope it stays that way

• 2 weeks later...