Stadium Ticket Pricing

stanh

All the big bands should have got behind Pearl Jam when they went up against tix master to stop the tix prices going nuts. 

They ended up in court and even the cenit to give evidence but lost cos imo the other bands were to scared of losing money on there tours.. Pj went on to do there next tour selling there own tix themselves..... But in the end they had to give in to the tix monsters 

Look it up 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-taking-on-ticketmaster-67440/

5 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I don't think it is inconsistent.  they're a british artist - british acts tend not to charge as much as US artists so people are surprised. 

(you'd expect it from Oasis because they're dicks)

(Elton John and the Stones are t shy about pricing.) Blur won’t be charged less for the stadium, security etc because they’re British. Equally they said in Lamacq that they had been scuppered by Covid so and sounded like they were finding it difficult to schedule with all of the other rescheduled gigs. Without having a line by line breakdown of the costs for a gig at Wembley (which I know through football pricing is extortionate) it’s difficult to assess who is being a dick and how much a dick they are being. It just seems people are outraged at Blur, without similar outrage at othered charging the same or more. 

I think the pricing generally of stadium shows is bad and as others have said, golden circles need fucking off. 

5 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Dynamic Pricing, Golden Circles, Inflation Busting ticket prices. Fair to say that 2022 has normalized some horrible practices in the music ticket buying industry. To be honest it feels like everyone is trying to grab as much cash as they possibly can before the recession bites. 

And why wouldnt they? They are a business at the end of the day and want to make money before its too late. I'm not saying its right, but cant blame them for it as at the end of the day the majority will pay £100 for Blur, Arctic Monkeys etc 

12 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The biggest problem is not the huge acts, it's everyone else making music who get very little from recorded work (Because of Spotify, Apple Tunes, etc.) compared with the past, and live music in smaller venues seems to be really struggling. We are in danger of having less and less live music below the major acts.

Know what you mean, however when your wallet is steamrollered for £100+ you may not have the cash to go to a few smaller gigs for a while. This may assist in the demise of mid sized venues and gigs. 

8 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Without having a line by line breakdown of the costs for a gig at Wembley (which I know through football pricing is extortionate) it’s difficult to assess who is being a dick and how much a dick they are being.

From a complete layman's perspective, surely it costs considerably more to logistically organise a festival than it does to just hire Wembley for the day? Yet festivals per day are charging considerably less than £100 per day for a full schedule of music. Download is massively expensive this year yet still considerably less than £100 a day of music and yet their costs must be much higher having to build the facilities for camping etc as well as having 10 x the amount of acts per day. 

The fact Sam Fender can do a stadium gig for 50% the price of other acts and still presumably make it a big earner shows that it comes to greed with other acts. 

• Like 1

As hard of a pill as it is to swallow, if they want to price me out, go for it. 

Stadiums rarely bring out an experience that can match some festivals in my opinion. (Even though some festivals are starting to have VIP front stage areas too)

I'll just keep voting with my wallet, getting excited when a tour is announced & then lose all interest when Stadiums are involved.

If it means I have to keep up with the times & find new music & artists to follow, so be it.

I think the biggest venue which is worth it for me is Ally Pally. (despite the nightmare travel home)

If that means I'll never see RATM, it was never meant to be. Can defo see their prices matching Blur's.

15 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Without having a line by line breakdown of the costs for a gig at Wembley (which I know through football pricing is extortionate) it’s difficult to assess who is being a dick and how much a dick they are being.

My guess, based on football pricing, is that you're vastly overestimating the basic costs of running a show at Wembley.

Prices for Football matches can vary very dramatically. Yes, they can get stupid money for the prestige games, but they can be far more sensible for lower demand matches - tickets are currently on sale for the Womens FA Cup Final for 10-25 quid a pop.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

My guess, based on football pricing, is that you're vastly overestimating the basic costs of running a show at Wembley.

Prices for Football matches can vary very dramatically. Yes, they can get stupid money for the prestige games, but they can be far more sensible for lower demand matches - tickets are currently on sale for the Womens FA Cup Final for 10-25 quid a pop.

Without a) knowing what I’m estimating b) how much a stadium gig costs to put that’s not super informative. 

i expect the FA to have special arrangements/pricing structure for the ‘football family’ and that gigs are prob more comparable with premium pricing structure that you see say for the FA Cup where the exact same seats sat in for the league cup final a few months before had completely different pricing (ie more expensive) structure. How much of that is baked in by Wembley, idk. 

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Especially compared to the extra costs a festival has to incur in building the infrastructure, running numerous stages, camping, paying 10 x the amount of acts to perform etc.

12 hours ago, Levitz said:

I think you meant: those Blur, Pink, Motley Crue and Springsteen prices are disgusting. 

As @GeezLouise said, Blur is the one that shocked me the most because it's Blur. A few years ago (Maybe 2018?), Damon put on a Gorillaz show at Brixton Academy for £5 a ticket, so I expected Blur to be maybe £75 for a standing ticket at most. Obviously they have a lot more costs at Wembley to cover than Brixton... But the fact it's over £100 a ticket, and you won't even have the opportunity to get the front row for that price has really shocked me.

6 hours ago, Padjeq said:

This is very nice. Additionally Def Leppard and Crue are doing gigs with golden circle (£138 approx) and regular standing (£95.20 exact) in glasgow and sheffield. Wembley is the only one with all seating.

I didn't see that, cheers, will put it in for the next update!

4 hours ago, incident said:

Pretty sure these kinds of games are subsidised by the FA? Not very clued up on football

so long as people keep paying it, the madness will continue.

i very rarely go to gigs anymore, stadium or otherwise, as i refuse to pay the asking prices.

the only shows i've been to this year (except for Glastonbury) are ones i've managed to blag it into.

i love Bruce Springsteen - seen him 47 times, followed him round the globe. we lost our tickets for the London shows next year due to being caught up in the mess left behind by Festicket.

all my Bruce crew are stressed about getting tickets back for the shows but you know what, i dont give a fuck - the price being asked is absolutely sickening and i refuse to pay it, even for the greatest showman on the planet.

these really are fucked up times we're living in.

mmm... shall i eat, or shall i heat? 

fuck it, neither, i'll go see blur instead.

Football stadiums are designed for football. All the infrastructure there is already in place and geared up for football. For gigs, the band/promoter has to provide all the gear - that means the PA system, lighting and stage too. Then the whole place has to be rigged (in a very limited amount of time) - not that certain bands aren't taking the piss with prices, but you can't just compare the cost of a match with that of a gig. 

• Upvote 1

Stadium gigs are and have always been fucking awful.  Been to one and swore never again.  It's not just the extortionate prices, the sound is woeful, you're coralled in like fucking cattle, never enough toilets, crap food and watered down fizzy disco piss like Carlsberg at £10 a pint.  Dreadful fucking stuff.

Could see 4/5 small gigs for what it costs.  No act on the planet would tempt me back to that horrific experience.

1 hour ago, addicted2noise said:

I thought Mogwai charging £55 for the barrowlands was pretty excessive. Funny how after the initial complaints the Glastonbury ticket price seems pretty great value now.

Were those tickets not about £40? I didn’t bother getting tickets as I’ve seen them loads recently but £55 is madness for them.

I mentioned it on another thread recently but The Cure’s arena tour next month looks very good value in comparison to these other ones now. My standing ticket is £60 which I can’t complain about at all for a legendary band playing for well over two hours plus a very good support act.