Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Black Keys > Prodigy on Friday would be lovely. 

Like others, I'm not super overjoyed with the headliners but my favourite years at the festival have been one where I've stayed away from the pyramid, especially at night. 

If I can get Prodigy/Fred Again/Elton, I'd be very happy. 

Black Keys can only do Sunday. Personally I don't think Arctic Monkeys will want to go up against a dance heavy act act and their last two appearances suggests they won't be. Alex won't want to be blown off stage so to speak. It'll definitely be someone lighter.

32 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

To all the folk who think they don't like Guns N Roses I implore you to listen to all of use your illusion 1 and 2 on repeat for 7 hours straight. Then you will like them. Their songs are all growers much like radiohead

Just do this one simple trick and you will be a fan for life!

🤣🤣🤣

hang on, you dont mean that, do you? oops, sorry 😆

i gave them both a bit of a spin a year or so back, first time i'd listened to them in about fifteen years, and it wasnt good. Bloated, lumpen, self-indulgent nonsense that i didnt think stands up at all. Loved it at the time (as a 13yr old kid) but now? ugh. Dreadful. (And i have a high tolerance for pretentious cobblers, i love a bit of prog!)

Chinese Democracy is not really a Guns n Roses album to be honest - its very much a lengthy exercise in how many times Axl can re-record and further screw up a few song ideas, with a revolving door of session musicians and people with KFC buckets on their head. Its barely anything to do with Duff, Slash, etc. 

Appetite for destruction and Lies both still absolutely slap, though 👍 and the Velvet Revolver tunes they play live are decent as well. Not entirely decided if i'll pop along and see them, i suspect i probably would, dependant on shifts etc. Saw Slash in 2010 and that was great. It could be an exercise in nostalgia for the teenage me who absolutely loved them, they're a classic gateway band for much heavier stuff!

41 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

To all the folk who think they don't like Guns N Roses I implore you to listen to all of use your illusion 1 and 2 on repeat for 7 hours straight. Then you will like them. Their songs are all growers much like radiohead

Just do this one simple trick and you will be a fan for life!

People go to jail for less. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'm pleased enough with GnR, haven't seen them since they reunited and it could be fun, alternatively it could be a car crash which would also be worth watching.

Anyone crying about the headliners and threatening to send their tickets back because three out of the thousand acts playing are not to their taste need to give their heads a wobble.

There's still a real value question for me. It's been heading there for years, but at the current ticket price it's not good value to just hang around in circus/theatre/comedy all festival (and I did this for many years - especially the wet ones!) when it used to be. It's not good value to hang around in Avalon all day either as much as many of my most beloved acts will be playing there.

I can't speak for the rest of the festival, those are my areas of interest outside of big name acts I really like. Maybe if you mostly hang around West Holts there's still value as there is no alternative festival for that sort of music. Or if you're mostly at Other/John Peel then Reading/Leeds are not much cheaper anyway. I don't know. I'm sure for dance music fans it's still great. But at £350 gone are the days when I could justify it on the sideshows. For that price I could do a comedy festival, a folk festival and go see La Clique. And in my 20s I was one of those "you can enjoy Glasto without seeing a single band" w*nkers.

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

🤣🤣🤣

hang on, you dont mean that, do you? oops, sorry 😆

i gave them both a bit of a spin a year or so back, first time i'd listened to them in about fifteen years, and it wasnt good. Bloated, lumpen, self-indulgent nonsense that i didnt think stands up at all. Loved it at the time (as a 13yr old kid) but now? ugh. Dreadful. (And i have a high tolerance for pretentious cobblers, i love a bit of prog!)

If you are not willing to put the work in then I can't help you

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Armourman said:

I cant get my head round GNR playing Hyde Park week after GF as a good booking for either party. Not even sure HP has sold out.  Coming on and doing an hour or so long legends slot would be grand mind you...

We've discussed this before but plenty of acts play Hyde Park the week after headlining Glastonbury.

On average there's usually one headliner a year who does BST or the equivalent gig.

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Black Keys can only do Sunday. Personally I don't think Arctic Monkeys will want to go up against a dance heavy act act and their last two appearances suggests they won't be. Alex won't want to be blown off stage so to speak. It'll definitely be someone lighter.

I think with dance acts you got to be careful not to put 2 at the same time in headliner slots, same with rock acts. Can't see QOTSA clashing with Guns and Arctics. Can't see Prodigy clashing with someone like Fred Again. 

Pyramid.
Arctics/GnR/Elton John.

Other
Sam Smith/Prodigy/QOTSA*

West Holtz
?/?/Fred Again.

If that happens, Sunday is a fucking awful clash and I would cry. I also think putting an older, more classic dance act in Prodigy, who I imagine a lot of 18-25 year olds will want to see, up against GnR would pull a LOT of people away from GnR. 

*I'm unsure on Queens playing I'm just going with what a few people are thinking.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I think with dance acts you got to be careful not to put 2 at the same time in headliner slots, same with rock acts. Can't see QOTSA clashing with Guns and Arctics. Can't see Prodigy clashing with someone like Fred Again. 

Pyramid.
Arctics/GnR/Elton John.

Other
Sam Smith/Prodigy/QOTSA*

West Holtz
?/?/Fred Again.

If that happens, Sunday is a fucking awful clash and I would cry. I also think putting an older, more classic dance act in Prodigy, who I imagine a lot of 18-25 year olds will want to see, up against GnR would pull a LOT of people away from GnR. 

*I'm unsure on Queens playing I'm just going with what a few people are thinking.

I think the crossover appeal of Guns and The Prodigy is too much. They are both bands that everyone in their owns genres will still know. They aren't going to make an exception at a risk of taking fans away from a booking that might be seen too late and over the hill anyway. 

20 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I doubt Alex Turner gets too much say in who he's up against.

37 minutes ago, sisco said:

@Neil can you expand on what you were told about Lizzo/Capaldi.  Was it just a…. They’re pyramid same day as GNR.

Thanks

was a bit vague but implied pyramid same day as gnr.

Judging from my group Elton is going to be mental busy and AM and GnR people couldn't be less enthused about. I'm happy with that one Pyramid headliner a year is about the rate I want but I'm hoping for some strong acts on West Holts and Park etc as the ones being discussed for The Other stage aren't exactly setting my world alight either. 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

all i ask for is a line-up worthy of a contemporary arts festival. my ticket will be going back, as will heaps of tickets.

Heaps of tickets going back is great news for the ticketless people hoping to get lucky in the resales.  

52 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Because there are four other main stages (and let’s not get into all the other smaller ones) which means if you spend three nights at the Pyramid that’s 12 other headliners you’re missing out on.

I’m not saying I’m too cool for the pyramid, I’m saying I welcome the opportunity to see a headliner at one of the many other stages, if you’re getting bent out of shape about GnR being booked then frankly the festival is wasted on you.

If anybody actively wants to spend three nights at the Pyramid, then you do you.

^^ exactly this. 

I only want to see one headliner maximum on the pyramid.  What's the point in being at the biggest most diverse festival in the world and staying at one stage. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I doubt Alex Turner gets too much say in who he's up against.

Possibly not but I bet he asks and gives his view. I'd still be surprised if they put him up against The Prodigy. It's just too much of a risk for me for that time slot to be talked about the wrong band for them. 

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I think the crossover appeal of Guns and The Prodigy is too much. They are both bands that everyone in their owns genres will still know. They aren't going to make an exception at a risk of taking fans away from a booking that might be seen too late and over the hill anyway. 

So then would you think.

Sam Smith/Queens/ Prodigy. That would put Fred Again (if he is playing) on Saturday. Would you say that looks realistic?