Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, chazwwe said:

Neil is saying that 2 of the 3 acts you could see elsewhere, which for him makes Glastonbury on the same level as Download/Reading, for headliners. 

But we all know the beauty of Glastonbury is that leaves you with 12 other headliners on the other stages, plus Arcadia, SE corner and about 100 other smaller stages, so I don’t really get the argument, why would you pay to see bad headliners at a festival with no alternatives, but you won’t at Glasto with an almost infinite amount of alternative evenings to be had?

Thinking about this, I can see circumstances where I'd actually be at all 3 Pointo headliners if this is the case and I don't think I've ever done that.  So maybe it's not as weak and has more appeal than people think.  Still doesn't feel "Glasto balanced" to me but hey ho.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Neil is saying that 2 of the 3 acts you could see elsewhere, which for him makes Glastonbury on the same level as Download/Reading, for headliners. 

Glastonbury very rarely does exclusives so this is the same most years. As I said further up the festival shares a headliner or two with BST most years, last year Billie Eilish did 10-15 arena dates immediately before the farm...

Just now, Jose Pose said:

But we all know the beauty of Glastonbury is that leaves you with 12 other headliners on the other stages, plus Arcadia, SE corner and about 100 other smaller stages, so I don’t really get the argument, why would you pay to see bad headliners at a festival with no alternatives, but you won’t at Glasto with an almost infinite amount of alternative evenings to be had?

Neil is saying he COULD go see those headliners at other festivals, not that he would. He has also said that the cost has ruined it for him to, in some of the same posts. I was on the verge of not going this year. Elton is the main reason I said 'Okay, I can do one more year' Especially with my partner and a lot of my group not going. Neil knows what the festival is about, we don't need to tread the 'it has 100 other stages' argument. If he doesn't want to go and the reason is: Headliners, cost, health & disability, then we should just let him be. Just as he should let people enjoy the festival for what it is this year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Neil said:

it never does.

Doesn't claim exclusives, but Kendrick and Macca last were for all intents and purposes were. They didn't play anywhere else in this country last summer (Macca at the C&G excepted).

Point is that most years they have headliners you can see in other places.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

based on macca, it'll be impossible to navigate around the field.

Right, but you’re putting your ticket back in because GnR are a bad booking and you think many others will agree.

So what type of pyramid acts are right for you then, because the ones like Macca are too big, GnR are too bad, so you basically want acts you like that are neither too big or too small?

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Thinking about this, I can see circumstances where I'd actually be at all 3 Pointo headliners if this is the case and I don't think I've ever done that.  So maybe it's not as weak and has more appeal than people think.  Still doesn't feel "Glasto balanced" to me but hey ho.

I think the argument of weak vs inspiring is coming into play. Especially after last year (and then the predicated 2020). Make it Arctics/Taylor/Elton and the difference of peoples opinions would be huge. Because its not another rock act. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

Neil is saying he COULD go see those headliners at other festivals, not that he would. He has also said that the cost has ruined it for him to, in some of the same posts. I was on the verge of not going this year. 

i was saying i could see headliners i don't like at other festivals, and suggesting i could spend glasto on money on a ticket for another fest to see headliners i don't like. also that my health and disability makes it a big hassle to attend (i'm not even sure i'll be able to sleep;  i managed sleep this year but was awkward).

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Right, but you’re putting your ticket back in because GnR are a bad booking and you think many others will agree.

So what type of pyramid acts are right for you then, because the ones like Macca are too big, GnR are too bad, so you basically want acts you like that are neither too big or too small?

Dude, leave him be. He doesn't want to go. He has to go around in a mobility scooter to see acts and the cost is too much, his dislike for GnR/Arctics is an added thing, because there's not a 'Must See' for him. He doesn't have to explain himself. 

Edited by chazwwe
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Absolutely no coincidence that the exact same act Emily talked about headlining one day is now headlining. Of course its not. Seems ridiculous to even type out. 

Some have very selective hearing when it comes to what Emily says.

They believe there’s no way Emily would book GNR even though she literally said that she would like to.

They believe it can’t be AM/GNR/EJ because of what Emily said about wanting more female headliners. The interview she did where she said some years there will be all-male headliners and it’s more about getting an even split across the line up doesn’t count.

This is despite Emily being very considered and controlled in what info she makes public, the polar opposite of her Dad in fact.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Who is ‘people?’ I think you may be doing a bit of extrapolation with your own disappointment 

its fairly easy to gauge the general mood towards an act, when you read everything  here every day, for several decades.

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Neil is saying he COULD go see those headliners at other festivals, not that he would. He has also said that the cost has ruined it for him to, in some of the same posts. I was on the verge of not going this year. Elton is the main reason I said 'Okay, I can do one more year' Especially with my partner and a lot of my group not going. Neil knows what the festival is about, we don't need to tread the 'it has 100 other stages' argument. If he doesn't want to go and the reason is: Headliners, cost, health & disability, then we should just let him be. Just as he should let people enjoy the festival for what it is this year. 

But he’s just said Macca was too big to navigate and Elton will be the same, so I’m confused by the acts he does actually want booked for the Pyramid, they can’t be too big or too small, so who does that leave?

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

They believe there’s no way Emily would book GNR even though she literally said that she would like to.

They believe it can’t be AM/GNR/EJ because of what Emily said about wanting more female headliners. The interview she did where she said some years there will be all-male headliners and it’s more about getting an even split across the line up doesn’t count.

This is despite Emily being very considered and controlled in what info she makes public, the polar opposite of her Dad in fact.

All true 

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

gnr don't seem very glastonbury. if they were very glastonbury, then glastonbury would have booked them 20+ years ago.

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

But he’s just said Macca was too big to navigate and Elton will be the same, so I’m confused by the acts he does actually want booked for the Pyramid, they can’t be too big or too small, so who does that leave?

You want a reaction.  What does it matter, seriously? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Neil said:

its fairly easy to gauge the general mood towards an act, when you read everything  here every day, for several decades.

As great as this place it isn’t usually representative of the public. If you go off here you’d expect AM to be playing to an empty field, which clearly won’t be the case.

Just now, Neil said:

gnr don't seem very glastonbury. if they were very glastonbury, then glastonbury would have booked them 20+ years ago.

Tbf, you could say that for Elton John too.  They’re a massive headlining band which 100% makes them suitable for Glastonbury.  Some will watch and enjoy, some won’t…. That’s life. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, chazwwe said:

I think Neil is putting in his distaste for the 3 top headliners, along with the expenses and his current health situation as a main reason for not going. The price hike has killed the majority of my group not going, who've been going since 2014/2015, including my partner who went for the first time last year. I don't think we should be critiquing other peoples reasons for not wanting to go to a festival. 

It goes without saying that Neil's (and others in a similar situation) personal circumstances aside, to which I have every sympathy, personally I think it's an irrational response to reject an entire weekend for the sake of a handful of acts when there is so much other music, performance, art and general social activity to enjoy. Of course everyone is free to make their own choice based on whatever they deem appropriate and whatever their personal circumstances, and I'd always encourage them to voice their opinions, but you well know that there's more to discover over the course of five days, and regardless of the price increase, in the context of other similar activities, it still represents good value. My point is, for those able to freely enjoy the festival, take a deeper look into what's on offer. It's far more than that Pyramid, in fact I'd suggest that the vast majority of what makes the week so special, is found outside of that field...and beyond even the music itself. But you know that.

And make no mistake, if someone doesn't want to go, just check out that resale thread. There's plenty of people who'll snap that ticket up.