Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

16 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Have you ever got an answer? I can’t imagine what it would be. If it’s not for you it’s not for you. 

I’ve been pointed in the direction of certain tracks or albums to give a go. Occasionally it does change my opinion, but not that often if I’m honest.

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Polarisation and extreme positions are pretty much the online model of the last couple of years, though. It’s Godwin’s law writ large. Ed Sheeran is either absolutely amazing and incredible, or an actual aural genocide, and there’s only two positions to take with no shades of grey anywhere in the middle. There’s no middle any more, so pick your zone and get to it! 

I often find middle ground. Apart from a few short years of my later teen / early adult life, where I mostly listened to Hip Hop and D&B, I've generally not cornered myself into one or two genres. I can listen to most artists / bands and find songs I like and songs I don't, without having to declare them shite, or my heroes. 

Take your example, Ed, I've been to his shows, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Am I fan? No, my other half is. Do I think he's shit? No, he has songs I really like, and songs I just don't like. Looking at the divide album, Castle On The Hill was a song I really enjoyed, yet Shape Of You was a song I really did not like at all. I would never buy his merch or call myself an Ed fan, but I would go and see him again. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the way he performs live, with his loop pedals etc. I actually think he's one of the better live performers out there. Yet I could also think of 100 acts who aren't necessarily as good live that I'd rather go and see. 

I guess that makes me boring and an outsider who doesn't belong anywhere. 😥😭

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I often find middle ground. Apart from a few short years of my later teen / early adult life, where I mostly listened to Hip Hop and D&B, I've generally not cornered myself into one or two genres. I can listen to most artists / bands and find songs I like and songs I don't, without having to declare them shite, or my heroes. 

Take your example, Ed, I've been to his shows, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Am I fan? No, my other half is. Do I think he's shit? No, he has songs I really like, and songs I just don't like. Looking at the divide album, Castle On The Hill was a song I really enjoyed, yet Shape Of You was a song I really did not like at all. I would never buy his merch or call myself an Ed fan, but I would go and see him again. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the way he performs live, with his loop pedals etc. I actually think he's one of the better live performers out there. Yet I could also think of 100 acts who aren't necessarily as good live that I'd rather go and see. 

Nah this is me too so you’re not alone. There’s very few musicians I hate enough to get excited about it - struggling to think of one actually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Not even a bit. It just means you're not sucked in to the slightly performative arguments on here and on other online binfires and hellpits.

I am sucked in, to be honest, i love a good solid rant against a bland everyman like Coldplay and Sheeran 😄

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Not even a bit. It just means you're not sucked in to the slightly performative arguments on here and on other online binfires and hellpits.

I am sucked in, to be honest, i love a good solid rant against a bland everyman like Coldplay and Sheeran 😄

Oh I do still get sucked in, usually by people's negativity towards artists 🙈 I should just learn to ignore them and say to myself 'that's your opinion' and move on, but it's just too tempting to engage sometimes. Coldplay was actually good example of that... 😂

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They've not said that. I guess we'll see but there's certainly no indication from the band that this will be it. Yet.

Dream booking for me. No one I'd rather see on that stage. Sadly, I think they're destined to forever swerve the farm.

Same as pj then lol.. Shame.. 

21 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’ve been pointed in the direction of certain tracks or albums to give a go. Occasionally it does change my opinion, but not that often if I’m honest.

Makes sense. Fair play for trying.

Edited by MEGABOWL

9 hours ago, Traci said:

What about Yeah Yeah Yeahs? I seen them in Barcelona this year - they were fantastic! Karen O is so good live 

Maybe not Pyramid but made to headline The Other or Park Stage 

You'd think they would be on the circuit next year having released an album recently, but no sign of them so far.

4 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Could they squeeze in anywhere on the line up do you think?

1DC95719-6F84-4CAF-8491-80ED0900C838.jpeg

Anywhere as in you want not Kasabian to headline now. I mean its already going to be a thing with The Prodigy getting a high slot most likely, so they just gonna give em out like candy cause they kicked their asshole singer out of the band?

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Call me mad but I’m really coming around to the idea that pulp are the legend spot 

Hadn’t thought of that. Oh that would be great. Didn’t someone say the legend slot ‘wouldn’t please the locals?’ I may have imagined that.

Sooooo, one of my best friends works in a senior position at BBC Radio and has always given me info on gigs, festivals etc months in advance. They genuinely know everyone and going to gigs with them is a nightmare because of the numbers of people saying hello! 

I have been probing for info on Glastonbury and they have had no idea, but last night they sent a text saying they had been out for lunch with someone on the inside who said the remaining headliners were Harry Styles and GnR. 

A caveat - they said that this person *may* be wrong, but never has been before. My contact was shocked as they thought there would no doubt be a female headliner in there somewhere. I of course thought Arctic Monkeys were a shoe in but maybe they aren't? Unless Harry Styles is supporting one of the headliners?

My biggest surprise on it was the idea that GnR would play - a headliner trio of Elton, Harry and Monkeys seems much more Glastonbury tbh. 

Anyway, just passing on information. 

8 minutes ago, Super Johnny Fos said:

Sooooo, one of my best friends works in a senior position at BBC Radio and has always given me info on gigs, festivals etc months in advance. They genuinely know everyone and going to gigs with them is a nightmare because of the numbers of people saying hello! 

I have been probing for info on Glastonbury and they have had no idea, but last night they sent a text saying they had been out for lunch with someone on the inside who said the remaining headliners were Harry Styles and GnR. 

A caveat - they said that this person *may* be wrong, but never has been before. My contact was shocked as they thought there would no doubt be a female headliner in there somewhere. I of course thought Arctic Monkeys were a shoe in but maybe they aren't? Unless Harry Styles is supporting one of the headliners?

My biggest surprise on it was the idea that GnR would play - a headliner trio of Elton, Harry and Monkeys seems much more Glastonbury tbh. 

Anyway, just passing on information. 

Surely people at the BBC don't get given headliner info, at least not this far in advance. Maybe a week before the poster drop max for the article write up.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Surely people at the BBC don't get given headliner info, at least not this far in advance. Maybe a week before the poster drop max for the article write up.

You're underestimating the amount of chatter that goes on behind the scenes in the music/media industry. Stuff like this will be talked about between people months before it's announced publicly, same as festival and gig bookers getting intel on who's around 12 months in advance. It's just none of those people spend time on boards like this or have any reason to blab online.

• Like 1