The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

19 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

It's all fueled by big oil influencing parliament groups like the ERG and others. Murdoch has his finger in this pie and his press needs to protect his mates. 

Edit. I still have no bacon

I mean, if you’re anywhere near Derbyshire you’re welcome to come and grab some… But It’s from the commercial kitchen and I’m sorry to say it’s that American smoked streaky stuff!!! 

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hit 48 in the sun earlier. Had to bring the thermometer in because it might have shattered.

I eventually hit 50 in the sun, that’s the highest it reads, and it wasn’t even the hottest part of the day!!! No idea what it actually got to! 

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The climate change denial elsewhere is phenomenal….  I guess it’s the extreme view but it’s pretty scary for the planet 🌎 

I've got an uncle who's too religious to believe in man-made climate change (there's only 1 guy omnipotent enough to change the climate, and if He wants us to burn there's nothing we can do about it). FFS 🙄

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I've got an uncle who's too religious to believe in man-made climate change (there's only 1 guy omnipotent enough to change the climate, and if He wants us to burn there's nothing we can do about it). FFS 🙄

Maybe we need to build some sort of heat resistant ark? Don't use ac though. That's bad.

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Fires here too 😞 wasn’t expecting this, genuinely hadn’t anticipated just how quickly the heat would dry things out. 

M1 closed due to a fire near us. Bolsover castle came close with a fire nearby. And others popping up all over 😞 

6A10728D-B552-4798-973D-F052403D42B7.jpeg.9e8c76f45e2296193ae6a435770fa747.jpeg

(That is NOT shade! 😞 )

Looks like they’re popping up all over London though 😞 

Our big Tesco has no chilled or frozen food at all! All of the fridges and freezers have given up!!! All reading +18-22c INSIDE!!! 

We literally have no chilled food, would be living off tins and dry food if it weren’t for the fact we can steal from the downstairs kitchen! 

Yep, just popped to the local shop for a well deserved cold beer after wrangling my tired and warm daughter to bed - but their fridge is broken, all warm beer🔥🍺 😭😭😭

It's in the freezer now, I'll drink it lukecold in a few minutes.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep, just popped to the local shop for a well deserved cold beer after wrangling my tired and warm daughter to bed - but their fridge is broken, all warm beer🔥🍺 😭😭😭

It's in the freezer now, I'll drink it lukecold in a few minutes.

Sleepless nite for me then … not the heat this time .. wondering if there will be chilled food to pick tomoro 

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

our work place have been giving out plastic bottles of water  to colleagues  .... despite having ice cold stations for topping up refillable bottles we were given within the last few years .... ive seen it on a facebook post which replies aren't allowed .... ive been off sick and when I return I will ask them why ? 

I did give a 10 minute lecture on climate change & the realities they were leaving for their children, hopefully some of what I said sunk in🤞

Seems hot and sticky here still. 30c indoors… 

Guessing the humidity is higher? 

Climate change deniers out in force, raises the temperature even more… I mean even if they genuinely don’t believe what have they got to lose / gain? 

059BDCE8-EA6D-414F-867A-003411E03AF0.jpeg.e6e7b0556f0fb976adbbb0ed39c0684b.jpeg

643A9B36-797C-4177-990D-45C8FB422A56.jpeg.36671b8ee1af411b47b9c6d6575f343a.jpeg

My mother, a full on fake news climate change denier, says "who cares because anyway in 500 million years the earth won't exist".  I have to say that leaves me speechless... 
And she buys bottled water because the tap water isn't good. (spoiler: it is really good)

A nice 26 degrees here, waiting for some thunderstorms tonight.

I'm going to hold my hands up here....I own a diesel car.

I've been looking at getting rid of it and switching to an electric version of the same thing and the prices are almost £10k for similar model and mileage.

It would help if to encourage people to make the switch the prices were a little bit more affordable or there was some sort of incentive for trading in a 'bad' car for a 'good' one!

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm going to hold my hands up here....I own a diesel car.

I've been looking at getting rid of it and switching to an electric version of the same thing and the prices are almost £10k for similar model and mileage.

It would help if to encourage people to make the switch the prices were a little bit more affordable or there was some sort of incentive for trading in a 'bad' car for a 'good' one!

Yes but on the other hand, isn't it better to use the car until it's really dead instead of using resources for a new one? Someone somewhere must have done the climate karma maths. 

41 minutes ago, moogster said:

Yes but on the other hand, isn't it better to use the car until it's really dead instead of using resources for a new one? Someone somewhere must have done the climate karma maths. 

That's my theory. I also have a diesel, it's 6 years old & planning on keeping it for at least another 4 years (all being well!). By that time BEVs should be cheaper & have longer range and hopefully charging infrastructure a bit better.

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We've got some doors and windows open. Our house are made to retain heat so I usually find it takes a few days to fully cool down. 

Same here - today's the opposite to yesterday when it was cooler inside the house with everything shut! Nice breeze to cool things down now, much more pleasant.

7 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

That's my theory. I also have a diesel, it's 6 years old & planning on keeping it for at least another 4 years (all being well!). By that time BEVs should be cheaper & have longer range and hopefully charging infrastructure a bit better.

Yup. if you really need a new car, buy better, but if it's just so that you can feel good in your electric car and look down on the person driving it in the next street or country who couldn't afford anything else, not sure it's a win... In the Netherlands they just passed a law that all professional lease cars have to be electric in 2025 so hopefully the second hand market will significantly improve.

Rain incoming at 13.45 here 🙂

41 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We've got some doors and windows open. Our house are made to retain heat so I usually find it takes a few days to fully cool down. 

Same. It's raining & the outside temperature is pretty much half what it was. Despite having my windows & doors open all night, it's still 28 degrees indoors! Grrr! 😬

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Same. It's raining & the outside temperature is pretty much half what it was. Despite having my windows & doors open all night, it's still 28 degrees indoors! Grrr! 😬

same, but without any rain outside.

I totally believe in climate change, and without it this wouldn't have happened, but am curious: is this the new normal? Or is this proper freak weather, once every ten years sort of thing? 

Like, were it not for climate chance, the peak would have been lower, and a freak super-hot few days wouldn't have been this bad. But is this the new freak weather top-end, or is this just normal now?

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Surprisingly warm, considering it's at least 15 degrees cooler than yesterday.

Much more humid today though so I think that probably accounts for it. Over 80% humidity as opposed to just over 20% yesterday. 

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

We have three vehicles [looks guilty] and all are diesel [looks guiltier]. 

11 year old campervan, 11 year old estate and a 20 year old hatchback. Would love to upgrade to EV but they are way out of our price range for the time being. Fully intend to run the hatchback until it dies. MOT next month - fingers crossed it'll be fine. 

One redeeming factor for us is we have really quite low mileage. The hatchback does <3,000 miles a year.