The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Got to love this thread, people talking of 40c when we've never seen that temperature in the UK before.  When we've reached the high 30s it's been at the peak of a heatwave, not during a few weeks of sunshine and showers.

Low to mid 20s seems likely.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Got to love this thread, people talking of 40c when we've never seen that temperature in the UK before.  When we've reached the high 30s it's been at the peak of a heatwave, not during a few weeks of sunshine and showers.

Low to mid 20s seems likely.

we're talking about weekend of 18th/19th, right? Anyway, yes no way it will get to 40C...maybe could reach 30C in the south. As for Glastonbury weekend we'll be lucky if it reaches 15C.

6 hours ago, Xenta101 said:

For those who have been through this before, how accurate have the calls that have been made now (ie 2 weeks out from the festival) been in previous years? Surely a lot of time for things to change (perhaps even drastically)?

Shut up Dom

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's never cold cold at Glastonbury. Stick a light jacket on (with space for cans in the pockets) and crack on.

2002 nights- coldest ever - had to wrap a jumper round my head in the tent - never been so cold🥶

29 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I've never left glastonbury without being surburnt. 

Me too. In fact the worst sunburn I always get is my knees while driving home, cos every single post-glasto, whether it’s been a boiling one or a soggy one, that Monday drive home is undertaken under sunkissed skies and the hot sun beating down. It fair takes the piss some years. 

Top tip from me as a trekker (Himalayas/Andes). If it IS cold at night, take your blankie and wrap yourself in it before getting in your sleeping bag, don’t put it on the top. If you have an aluminium drinking flask, get a stall to fill it with boiling water then put it at the bottom of your sleeping bag (make sure it has a thermal sleeve) = hot water bottle. 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

GFS 18Z just started...we can do this every 6 hours!

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

Up to the weds of the festival so far and showing next to nothing in the way of rain... With a very hot weekend next weekend.

That's good for preparations and ground conditions... Isn't it? Will the ground take a bit of cooling / dust calming precipitation festival weekend, without being a mud bath, if this holds true?

9 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That's good for preparations and ground conditions... Isn't it? Will the ground take a bit of cooling / dust calming precipitation festival weekend, without being a mud bath, if this holds true?

Yeah, it will. A lot depends on just how much rain we’re talking about. A few mm spread out over the course of a day has no impact. A downpour for an hour will result in a lot of mud, but if it then stays dry for 24 hours it’s almost as if it never happened. What we really want to avoid is either persistent, moderate to heavy rain (worst case scenario! 😬) or heavy, frequent showers that never give the ground a chance to dry out.

Given how dry it’s been in the build up & forecast for next week, IMO it would need to be seriously bad for all or part of next Sat through to the Weds/Thurs of the festival to result in a serious mud bath. We’ll know soon enough how likely that is… 🤞

6 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Yeah, it will. A lot depends on just how much rain we’re talking about. A few mm spread out over the course of a day has no impact. A downpour for an hour will result in a lot of mud, but if it then stays dry for 24 hours it’s almost as if it never happened. What we really want to avoid is either persistent, moderate to heavy rain (worst case scenario! 😬) or heavy, frequent showers that never give the ground a chance to dry out.

Given how dry it’s been in the build up & forecast for next week, IMO it would need to be seriously bad for all or part of next Sat through to the Weds/Thurs of the festival to result in a serious mud bath. We’ll know soon enough how likely that is… 🤞

Agreed. It looks almost certain that we're not going to get another 2016 - it was heavily raining in the days that are already in range for reasonably predictible weather. Actually, I think it was already raining regularly by now.

What's not ruled out quite yet is significant rain during the festival, which is, IMHO, worse.

All to play for!

2 hours ago, danmarks said:

The highest temperature ever recorded in the UK was registered only recently in 2019, when Cambridge Botanic Garden recorded a blistering 38.725 degrees Celsius

I was in Cambridge Botanic Gardens that day; I worked nearby and decided to pop over during my lunch break, wearing a suit. It was not pleasant.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I've never left glastonbury without being surburnt. 

Monday in 2016 was glorious.  Lots of people bogged down in car parks trying to leave overnight, early morning, but by midday the entire site was rock hard, solid dry ground.  We packed up but my son's car keys ended up being moved to the main lockup, leading to a few hours of hanging around with the suncream packed.  No one at work could understand how the festival was reported all weekend as a washout and I came back looking like a lobster.

20 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Well... it continued into the weekend... The 18z stayed pretty much bone dry for the entire next 2 weeks!!! With heatwave conditions next weekend, a slight dip in temperatures during the week of the festival and then hot conditions returning on the Sunday. 

The area of low pressure stays up to our NE.

Still wayyyy too early though. But dry and warm conditions up to and including next weekend seem to be pretty high in confidence.