The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Just now, benc said:

I really struggle in the heat.. it is possible to do it in the heat but I think you have to change your behavior a bit and look after yourself. I think it' worse on the Wednesday / Thursday when you see people sat in the open drinking all day - 2017/19 for example. That can't be good...

The change in behaviour thing is true. In 2010 I went at it like a moron and regretted it after almost getting sunstroke/heat exhaustion. In 2019, lesson learned, I drank mostly water in the day with a few ciders in between, got some shade, wore a wide hat, shades and factor 50. No problemo. Had one of the best festivals of my life.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The change in behaviour thing is true. In 2010 I went at it like a moron and regretted it after almost getting sunstroke/heat exhaustion. In 2019, lesson learned, I drank mostly water in the day with a few ciders in between, got some shade, wore a wide hat, shades and factor 50. No problemo. Had one of the best festivals of my life.

Adapt and overcome. 100% this.

Same as a wet year which brings its own challenges.

2 hours ago, benc said:

I really struggle in the heat.. it is possible to do it in the heat but I think you have to change your behavior a bit and look after yourself. I think it' worse on the Wednesday / Thursday when you see people sat in the open drinking all day - 2017/19 for example. That can't be good...

I think any extremes of weather you have to adjust your behaviour a bit. I hate it being too hot as well so something more moderate would suit me but if you give me a straight choice of 2019 or 2016 I would take 2019 every time. 

Edited by gigpusher
Not 2026 I’m not mystic meg

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think any extremes of weather you have to adjust your behaviour a bit. I hate it being too hot as well so something more moderate would suit me but if you give me a straight choice of 2019 or 2026 I would take 2019 every time. 

I’d take 2026 just to see what it’s like. 

59 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Mate, is it a medical condition which makes you feel so adverse to heat?

Although being hot brings its challenges through doing things to mitigate it the temperature can become more than manageable if indeed it is personal preference rather than anything medical related?

I dont believe so. If I am walking around in winter. Minus 2 or 3, I'll go out in a hoodie & be warm. Im just built for winter.

A bit off topic, but for those who really struggle in the sun it maybe is worth picking up a cheap giant golf umbrella?

Obviously not for use in crowds, but allows you to create your own patch of shade for some relief in quieter parts of the site. 

I have one for the school run - obviously it’s main purpose is to keep the northern rain off but I’ve often thought it would make a decent sun shelter at a push. 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I dont believe so. If I am walking around in winter. Minus 2 or 3, I'll go out in a hoodie & be warm. Im just built for winter.

TBF I’m largely the same. I cope with cold much better than most people I know and sweat like a stuck pig having a gentle stroll at 20deg+.  Still love the sun and warm weather though. Just makes everyone including me seem happier. Maybe it’s the vitamin D thing.

At this point it’s looking fairly unlikely to be hot for the actual weekend. Trough of low pressure from the north directly over or just to the north east of the UK, bringing milder temperatures and some showers. (Obviously could all change, but this does keep cropping up to some extent or another.) 

But the important thing is that the run in looks dry and great for ground conditions… Right? 

5 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

A bit off topic, but for those who really struggle in the sun it maybe is worth picking up a cheap giant golf umbrella?

Obviously not for use in crowds, but allows you to create your own patch of shade for some relief in quieter parts of the site. 

I have one for the school run - obviously it’s main purpose is to keep the northern rain off but I’ve often thought it would make a decent sun shelter at a push. 

I think a good hat would do the job and be less of a pain to carry around. 

Just now, Alvoram said:

At this point it’s looking fairly unlikely to be hot for the actual weekend. Trough of low pressure from the north directly over or just to the north east of the UK, bringing milder temperatures and some showers. (Obviously could all change, but this does keep cropping up to some extent or another.) 

But the important thing is that the run in looks dry and great for ground conditions… Right? 

Agree that dry ground/no mud is priority 1. Anything else is secondary.

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think any extremes of weather you have to adjust your behaviour a bit. I hate it being too hot as well so something more moderate would suit me but if you give me a straight choice of 2019 or 2026 I would take 2019 every time. 

It's a false equivalence though - 2019 wasn't 'extreme'. The vast majority managed fine.

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

This is what people said at this stage in 2019.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, benc said:

I think a good hat would do the job and be less of a pain to carry around. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to do it myself! But seems like some people really suffer & being able to get your whole body under some shade may be worth the hassle? Could always stick it in a lockup when not using. 

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

What was the run in like in 2011? Cos it felt like there was enough rain on the Wednesday alone to trash the site.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What was the run in like in 2011? Cos it felt like there was enough rain on the Wednesday alone to trash the site.

Consistent low pressure from the 5th to the end of wk3… So maybe the ground was already mildly moist?

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jul/03/temperatures-rainfall-sunshine-june

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're in an 8 man scout tent in Worthy View and it was fine in 2019.

Anything smaller, survival blankets and duct tape are your friend. Did the trick for me in 2010.

That's the word. Im trying to survive when it gets that hot. That stops the enjoyment quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not when you’re team Fresh & Black. Can handle 30 degrees no problem 

Oh man I literally just got a new tent and I was so close to buying one of those as well, but I ended up going for a tunnel with a porch you can (almost) stand up in from Easy Camp instead. Hope I don't live to regret that one!