The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

1 minute ago, MoonBuggy said:

Oh man I literally just got a new tent and I was so close to buying one of those as well, but I ended up going for a tunnel with a porch you can (almost) stand up in from Easy Camp instead. Hope I don't live to regret that one! 

See above - get some cheap survival blankets online and attach to the side of your tent that's likely to be exposed to the sunrise with duct tape and/or clothes pegs. Bob's yer uncle.

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Consistent low pressure from the 5th to the end of wk3… So maybe the ground was already mildly moist?

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jul/03/temperatures-rainfall-sunshine-june

I was in trainers by Sunday in 2011, the ground dried out completely. The Friday night was grim but compared to 2016 it was a piece of cake.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

See above - get some cheap survival blankets online and attach to the side of your tent that's likely to be exposed to the sunrise with duct tape and/or clothes pegs. Bob's yer uncle.

All your tent neighbours will love being woken up by the sound of foil blowing in the breeze. 

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Reckon this would work if you taped them to the outside of the bedroom/inside the outer? The F&B ones seem to work with the blackout fabric being the bedroom inner, so thought this could do the trick and stop the blankets flapping in the wind?

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Reckon this would work if you taped them to the outside of the bedroom/inside the outer? The F&B ones seem to work with the blackout fabric being the bedroom inner, so thought this could do the trick and stop the blankets flapping in the wind?

Not sure - may trap in heat rather than prevent it. Maybe more of an origami challenge too.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have both on. Unfortunately, I still burn. You might be lucky & don't. I don't even go brown after, just red. 

I try and stay in when it's hot. That's how I deal with it, but it's an outdoor festival without aircon, so I cant. If there is an Aircon room I can stay in between 12-4 every day, I can probably handle a heatwave.

Blimey. Even factor 50, I take it?

Will say if you go the survival blanket route and it gets even a bit windy then be prepared to be hated at night/find them on the ground in the morning having been ripped off ....they make a hell of a racket when being blown about being foil etc is all. Been there done that. Mine lasted a day. 

Got a new fresh and black tent this year and hoping the effect is as good as advertised! 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Blimey. Even factor 50, I take it?

This stuff is the biggest con the devil ever sold. Absolute shite

Screenshot_20220611-105208_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The only stuff that has worked (and it has actually worked) is kids suncream. Thick gloopy stuff that you cant rub in. Like paint. It has worked, but it's horrible. I do use it, but I still come out a bit pink.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The change in behaviour thing is true. In 2010 I went at it like a moron and regretted it after almost getting sunstroke/heat exhaustion. In 2019, lesson learned, I drank mostly water in the day with a few ciders in between, got some shade, wore a wide hat, shades and factor 50. No problemo. Had one of the best festivals of my life.

Same behaviour for me, except I preferred 2010!

Until the crash, that is!

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The only stuff that has worked (and it has actually worked) is kids suncream. Thick gloopy stuff that you cant rub in. Like paint. It has worked, but it's horrible. I do use it, but I still come out a bit pink.

Have you looked into Asian sun creams? Sun protection is huge in korean skin care, might have some options? 

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

What about the stuff skiers / polar explorers use?  Get done up like you're going to be on a glacier rather than a dairy farm.

6 minutes ago, HannahB30 said:

Have you looked into Asian sun creams? Sun protection is huge in korean skin care, might have some options? 

A lot of the Asian sun creams have skin whitening stuff in them. The idea seems to be you want to protect yourself from being brown, rather than protect yourself from burning.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

A lot of the Asian sun creams have skin whitening stuff in them. The idea seems to be you want to protect yourself from being brown, rather than protect yourself from burning.

That's interesting, I know colourism can be a massive thing in k-beauty, but I'd never heard that about the sun creams. 

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

As a fellow pasty person, this stuff is the best I've ever used - https://www.ultrasun.co.uk/

You won't get any colour at all, and it stings the eyes and nose when you apply it to your face, but you only have to put it on once in the morning and it's very effective. It's pricey, but it's worth it to be able to go outdoors for more than 30 minutes at a time

55 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It's the fact there is literally nowhere to cool down. Nowhere at all. 

If you are a bit cold, put another layer on. If its raining, go in a tent. If you are nearly passing out with the heat, there is nowhere at all to go at all.

I think the co-op might be air conditioned - I didn't get down there - can anyone confirm?