Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They're decent enough. Inoffensive, generic riff-based rock-by-numbers duo. There are acts that do what they do, but slightly better (Death From Above 1979, The Last Internationale, The Black Keys) but they're worth a watch. Quite good in 2017 before The XX (IIRC) 

I've seen the Black Keys they were good headliners at Latitude several years back. Love them also... but I put them in a similar kind of category to Killers and Razorlight...you know what you're going to get...very good but very safe live performance. (Seen the latter two twice). I like a performance that goes a bit rogue...a little bit of ad-libbing and perhaps an extra riff or something slightly different here and there in the music to spice it up live. Do you know what I mean? 🤣 I always feel they sound almost identical to the recorded track...which is great but also like an element of surprise

Confidence Man were great in Liverpool tonight. Loved the cover at the end too! 

Working Men's Club on Saturday for what is looking like the last gig of the year. Was supposed to be seeing Spinn in Liverpool on the 16th December but the train strike means I just lose the money in forced solidarity I guess as I doubt anyone will be buying them off me 

Going to have to think twice about booking gigs I'm not willing to put a hotel onto in advance until (if?) that gets sorted. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I've seen the Black Keys they were good headliners at Latitude several years back. Love them also... but I put them in a similar kind of category to Killers and Razorlight...you know what you're going to get...very good but very safe live performance. (Seen the latter two twice). I like a performance that goes a bit rogue...a little bit of ad-libbing and perhaps an extra riff or something slightly different here and there in the music to spice it up live. Do you know what I mean? 🤣 I always feel they sound almost identical to the recorded track...which is great but also like an element of surprise

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It can be quite dull watching a very polished live act. Might as well put a CD on* 

*Sorry, showing my age, I mean stream it.

Cam Cole at Corporation in Sheffield tomorrow - last gig of the year.  😞

However, as well as Glasto, already got tickets to see Elvana, Lumineers, Gaz Coombes and The Beths in 2023.  It's going to be a good year.

This year's memorable ones

Wolf Alice - always disappointing live, they just can't get the sound balance right. Had high hope

Band of Horse - Brilliant as usual, waited a long time to see them again

Murder Capital at Neighbourhood festival - blew me away and have tickets for next year

Foals x 2 - always a good night

Sigur Ros - wow - just on another level - a wall of sound

I've been quite lucky with what I've managed to see this year!:

February - Wolf Alice in Glasgow - Always going to be biased with this because Blue Weekend is still on heavy rotation for me 18 months after it came out! Really brilliant. 

March - Biffy Clyro acoustic set in Glasgow - Really nice wee intimate gig, only downside was how short it was. 

May - Muse in Glasgow - One of the best times I've seen them. Incredible setlist.

May - Lorde in Edinburgh - I was really apprehensive about this show because Solar Power hadn't really hit with me, but then witnessing the tracks live, it gave me a huge new appreciation for it! (And Ribs will forever go OFF live)

June - Queen + Adam Lambert in Glasgow - My partner was so not up for this, until about 1 and a half songs in and he was hooked. I had a ball the whole night - some beautiful, touching moments during the set too. 

June - Phoebe Bridgers in Glasgow - Surprisingly one of the most stiflingly hot gigs I've ever been at, but it was totally worth it. I've been wanting to see Phoebe live for years, so managing to finally see her was a dream!

July - Pearl Jam in London - We had tickets for the original shows a few years back, but they were totally worth the wait! It was my partner and I's first time ever seeing them, and they're his favourite band too, and the setlist we got was pretty much perfect. 

September - Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert in London - A bittersweet show; we had tickets for the Foos' Manchester gig in June, and it was one of the most emotional 6 hours of my entire life. I don't think I stopped crying for more than 10 minutes the whole time. What an unreal amount of legends on that stage! I've still not really gotten over the enormity of that gig.

November - Biffy Clyro in Glasgow - A great set, could've been made better with a bit more from the last couple albums and a bit less of tracks like Rearrange and Many of Horror (I know, very pie in the sky, but I can dream!)

Upcoming: The Cure next weekend, and then a not too shabby looking 2023 (The Darkness, Self-Esteem, Paramore, Muse, Blink-182)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claire96 said:

September - Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert in London - A bittersweet show; we had tickets for the Foos' Manchester gig in June, and it was one of the most emotional 6 hours of my entire life. I don't think I stopped crying for more than 10 minutes the whole time. What an unreal amount of legends on that stage! I've still not really gotten over the enormity of that gig.

Couldn’t agree more with every word of this. RIP Taylor, they did you proud. 😢❤️

• Like 1

Off to Pale Waves at Kentish Town Forum next week. Not a fan of the venue but looking forward to the band.

Saw Bleach Lab and She’s In Parties in Brizzle last week (my GOD the lavs in the Exchange are revolting…) and both are definitely Ones To Watch. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:07 AM, steviewevie said:

Went to see Plaid on Saturday at the great little venue The White Hotel in Salford. All jolly good, got battered.

Also saw Bill Callahan a few weeks ago at Albert Hall which was much more civilised.

I was there for Plaid too, cracking gig in one of my favourite little babies. ❤️

24 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Saw Bleach Lab and She’s In Parties in Brizzle last week (my GOD the lavs in the Exchange are revolting…) and both are definitely Ones To Watch. 

Saw the same gig in Southampton a couple of weeks ago. Was really impressed by She's In Parties. 

Cam Cole absolutely took the roof off in Sheffield last night.  Unbelievable skills and makes an amazing noise for just one guy.  Highly recommended if you get the chance.

Plus it was a room with about 400 people in it.  Fucking love tiny gigs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Fontaines DC in Hammersmith last night.

They were excellent.

Think @Levitzagreed with you. Pleased to hear they seem to have stepped up the live act. Their latest album was fantastic. Was slightly gutted at the timing of the Manchester gig as I couldn't make it. 

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Fontaines DC in Hammersmith last night.

They were excellent.

Yeah they were great. And they played Oh Such a Spring which is my partners favourite song of theirs and one we'd resigned to the fact they'd never play.

6th time seeing them and the only one of those that I didn't absolutely love was Glastonbury this year, strangely. Not sure what it was, but something seemed a bit off. Could have been me though. Was great to see them back to form anyway. 

1 minute ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Was brilliant at Glast and brilliant on tour. Hoping for a John Peel slot. 

That would be ace.

I missed them this year, was going to do the Wet Leg Con Man one two, but couldn't get near The Park for the former so made other plans.

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Cam Cole absolutely took the roof off in Sheffield last night.  Unbelievable skills and makes an amazing noise for just one guy.  Highly recommended if you get the chance.

Plus it was a room with about 400 people in it.  Fucking love tiny gigs.

Not seen him, but do you think his appearance on Ted Lasso has increased his popularity?

25 minutes ago, idb said:

Not seen him, but do you think his appearance on Ted Lasso has increased his popularity?

Maybe.  He did say at the gig that the thing that helped him jump from being a busker to an actual recording and touring artist was a video of him busking in Camden that went viral.

He's absolutely mesmerising live.  How can one man play drums, play blues/slide guitar, sing AND headbang at the same time?  Even if the songs weren't fucking mint (which they are) it's incredible.

I do find it funny that Confidence Man have exploded in the last few months off the back of one Glastonbury set when they have been doing the same sort of stuff for years. Even the Cambridge gig in May was only about 2/3 full if that and now they are selling out everywhere. Same with Self Esteem. The power of Glastonbury and iplayer!

Finally got to see Wet Leg last night. Great fun and can see what all the fuss is about, they will be most welcome at any festivals I go to next year. The place went crazy when they ended on Chaise Lounge. Short gig and all over by 10pm. Think they just played the full album.

It was a nice gig with the excellent Coach Party supporting, I got in to them last year after hearing them at a few festivals.

A nice bonus was Lava La Rue, the other support . Have to admit, I knew nothing about her before the gig and was pleasently surprised. She has a wondeful voice and a few decent tunes. Can see her having a big future and would be happy to see her again.